1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should Arminians and Calvinists Attend the Same Church?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Steven Yeadon, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David Taylor Jr explained the term to me. They are at the state or stage in Calvinism when they belong in a cage. Usually right out of or still in seminary. The term can be used for anti-cals as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Better to heed Paul’s words to the divided brethren at Corinth.

“I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. For it has been reported to me by Chloe’s people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?” - ‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭1:10-13‬ ‭ESV‬‬

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on the maturity of the believerṣ. With mature believers this is normally not an issue (either it is ignored or other understandings are tolerated).

4. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Calvinism and Arminianism... How many know the difference these days?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you ask them to give a short dissertation on Election and they can and do then they believe in Doctrines of Grace .... and if they can’t or they stumble, then send them to Manitoba in February.

6. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists have cornered the market on answering theological questions, but considering the lack of Arminian sites to answer theological questions, it seems the onus is on Arminians to do better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I missed the joke, why Manitoba in February?

8. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if they are both saved.
    Neither should commune together with non-Christians just because they agree on a non-essential theory of HOW God does what God does. ;)

9. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Particular and General Baptists unite to burn you as a heretic in the parking lot, grateful for something they can agree on. ;)
    [I’m just kidding]

10. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    [raises hand] I do!

11. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Manitoba is really cold and in February it is REALY cold.

“February, the last month of the winter, in Winnipeg, is a freezing cold month, with average temperature varying between -18.3°C (-0.9°F) and -8.1°C (17.4°F).”

12. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My prayer is that both systems go away .

13. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find that interesting, what is the position you discern is taught by scripture?

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Canada's weather can change considerably from region to region, but overall, February is among the country's coldest months, with lows in many places averaging well below 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 degrees Celsius).Jan 13, 2020

15. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, there should not be a separate church for those two groups. Maybe for the extremists (the wingnuts) but most Calvinists and Arminians are sensible enough to see their commonality of faith is greater than their differences on soteriology. And, more to the point, both Calvinists and Arminians have people who are better than their doctrine. And here, by "Calvinists" I mean those who overly emphasize creeds and confessions to the comparative neglect of Scripture. I myself believe in the Doctrines of Grace, once considered myself Calvinist, but that name has too much baggage.

Meeting together and interacting with other Christians is very important. It encourages and sharpens us. We should do our best also to distinguish between wrong doctrine and false doctrine, the latter only which is on the far side of necessary separation.

16. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Position ? what do you mean ? like which denomination is the correct one ?

17. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvi
    calvinism and Arminism is just a in house squabble .

18. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I'm sorry, I meant, what do you believe on soteriology? I would like to know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where I grew up in the Scranton / Wilkes area of Pennsylvania, most people went to church ... their own chosen church. In the day, if you were Catholic, you went to your own ethnic brand. So my mother and her family were Italian so you became members there. The Irish went to their Irish Catholic Church, Polish to theirs, Germans to theirs etc. this cut down on all the fist fights and stabbing in the parking lots.

my Welsh relatives also had their variety... Uncle Herbert went to the High Anglican Church while his wife Rachael went to the Welsh Calvinist Methodists church and others went to Baptist and Congregational.

Also in Scranton in particular they have a church called the Polish Nationalists, a break away from the Polish Catholics. Hopefully you get the picture. People should have the freedom to enjoy and worship in their own church with their own kind and by cramming different groups into one anything, then you are going to have conflict.

#59 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats a general question .
    essentially I believe that Jesus died for the sins of the whole world . 2 cor 5.19
    The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation . Rom 1.16
    The Gospel is 1 cor 15. 1-4
    Romans 10.9
    The Holy spirit reproves the world of the sin of not Believing in Jesus .
    The Fall did not render man unable to respond positively to the Gospel ( the revelation of God ) So no need for irresistible or previenient grace .

Grace is a ubiquitous reality, not a selective force. (Tit. 2:11-13)

Grace is just fine on it’s own as it’s found in scripture. Any modifier other than “free,” such as “sovereign,” “irresistible,” or “prevenient” indicate someone is either confused or attempting to confuse. (Rom. 3:24; 5:15; Jn. 1:16; Tit. 2:11-13)
    Conviction of the Holy Spirit is necessary for salvation, but occurs to sinners alike, regardless of consequent faith or unbelief. It is not irresistible or unconditionally selective. (Jn. 16:7-11)

Predestination is of existing saints to adoption/glorification, not sinners to conversion. (Eph. 1:5, 11; Rom. 8:23, 29-30)

Election is to service, calling and purpose, not to salvation. (Isa. 42:1; Acts 9:15; Rom. 11:28)

Adoption is the future redemption of the body, not conversion. (Rom. 8:23, 15-17; Gal. 4:1-6)

Sinners become sons of God through the new birth, not through adoption. (John 1:12-13)

There are 2 callings: Gospel and vocational, not inward or outward or effectual or ineffectual, etc… (2 Thess. 2:14; Eph. 4:1; Rom. 8:28; 2 Cor. 5:20)

Christ’s life, not his death is what saves. (Rom. 5:10; 1 Cor. 15:17)

Sinner is saved by regeneration, not atonement. (Tit. 3:5)

Glorification is what’s limited, not atonement. (Rom. 3:23; 8:17-30)

When Christ said, “It is finished,” on the cross, everyone was still in their sins as per 1 Cor. 15:17.

Atonement is one component of many components in salvation. It alone is not what saves. (Tit. 3:5; Rom. 5:10)

Atonement is a prerequisite for salvation, not the execution of it. (Rom. 5, 8; 2 Cor. 5; Tit. 3:5).

The Atonement must be received. (Rom. 5:11, 17; Jn. 1:12; 1 Cor. 15:1-4)

The Atonement does not glorify anyone. (Rom. 8)

What Calvinists call “the golden chain of redemption” contains no direct reference to the atonement. (Rom. 8:29-30)

Belief that salvation for anyone was secured on the cross constitutes a denial of the necessity of the resurrection (1 Cor. 15:17)

Salvation is eternally secured by the sealing of the spirit, not “election.” (Eph. 1:13-14; 4:30; 2 Cor. 1:22)

Unbelief condemns a person, not because it is an unforgiven sin, but because it is the exclusive point of access to the grace. (Rom. 5:2)
    Copy and paste from my previous post to another.