1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Baptists Marry...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Jan 27, 2008.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Ha Ha. When I married my wife both she and I had a lot to learn on eschatology (she more than I). We were barely acquainted with basic terminology.
    There are far more important things that are essential in marriage. Most Baptists here disagree on eschatology in some way or another.

The first most important principle is "Be not unequally yoked together with unbelievers." Both must be saved.
    But further than that is a second principle which I quoted from Amos: The two must be agreed if they are to walk together. In my case I married a Bible Presbyterian. They are the one branch of Presbyterians that are fundamental. She was teachable, and soon accepted Baptist doctrine. It was only after she became a Baptist that we got married.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Didn't you really mean to say "Aaack!" ??

[​IMG]

:D

Ed

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I got you. But eschatological differences, wouldn't they go against the principle of Amos 3?

Ok, point of clarification: "Both must be saved." Then a Baptist and a Presbyterian are eligible.

I admire your bravery and grit. :thumbs: But, Isn't your reasoning a bit leaky, when you consider the fact that even among SB there are marked differences especially in the area of eschatology?

Well, this can be easierly dismissed if we understand the second principle of the Amos text accordingly.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

When common sense makes good sense, why make it nonsense.
    One can take any principle of the Bible too far to an exteme.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Personally, I think it would be the ideal for two SB to be married.

But while this is a preference, it's not unscriptural, if I were to marry a Presbyterian. Now that's just my conclusions.

I believe this highlights to disadvantage of denominations, whether Baptists or not. :thumbs:

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If you were dead, you might get caught and not know it, and he might be a snake handler........................:laugh:

BBob,

#46 Brother Bob, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2008
  7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

The thing is, we are not just talking about whether or not you agree on everything in the Bible. Of course none of us agree completely on every point - otherwise we wouldn't enjoy coming on this forum so much!

Agreeing with each other completely hasn't ever been a requirement for any church I've ever joined anyway. I mean do you agree with every person that goes to your church? Of course not.

The issue is is it alright to marry a person who disagrees with your theology to the point that they will not attend the same church you go to.....at least that's how I saw the OP.

All of you who have posted that it's alright have also given examples of your spouse coming to church WITH you.....so how is that what the OP is about?

I strongly disagree with a wife belonging to one church while her husband belongs to another church - I believe if two people are going to be married then they ought to come together in unity and go to the same church.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your source for that info?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Is Laura Schlesinger (sp.?) good enough?

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is correct. The way children are raised and in laws come in next. The drinking, drug, cheating stereotype is way down the list.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Sorry, but having been married some thirty plus years, it is obvious to me that the Lord does not ordain and lead a Christian to their life long companion based on man made institutuions such as the SBC. How shallow of an outlook can one get?

So think about it, would a SBCer and an American General Baptist be better off than a conservative Presbyterian and a conservative Baptist? How about a primitive and a SBC? The term Baptist is so ill defined, its almost laughable. Even if one overcomes that, what percent of Baptists on rolls are saved? Maybe 40%?

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If inclined, I would, DP. But it was another poster who made that statement and it concerned statistics which are not obvious. Do you always 'take someone's word for it?' Nevertheless, I didn't see any figures about such things in that site you referenced; just a few little book reports.

14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I'm an SBC pastor and have had some folks who moved and wanted to join an IBF church. It's not that they were IBF converts. It was the only Bible preaching church in thier area. Anyway, they had to get rebaptized. You know, we SBC churches are so way off base that even our baptisms are not valid. That was the reason given. I believe I would have stayed at home rather than join such non-sense. But, that's me. So, I can understand why some wouldn't marry those from different demoninations or even different Baptists.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

We have created our own rules because of our Baptist traditions, that are not even scriptural.

16. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

wow . . . . . . but I soooooo believe it.