1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should "Calvinism & Arminianism Debate " Be Removed?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by HopefulNChrist, Oct 3, 2018.

?
  1. Yes, since it is causing our brethren to stumble

16.7%
  2. No, because I am going to win all the arguments for Christ

16.7%
  3. Maybe since the debate can never be settled in any christian forum anyway

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopefulNChrist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1 Corinthians 3:1And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. 2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. 3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? 4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? 5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Is that sub forum tempting believers to take side by saying "I am of John Calvin" and another "I am of Jacob Arminius" which is what Paul is warning against here? Isn't the debate tempts believers into thinking they can win the argument as if by their power of persuasion of their speeches that they can convince others of the truth when it is on God to cause the increase? Is that not why it also tempts believers to belittle their opponents?

Galatians 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. 16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

2 Corinthians 12:19 Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying. 20 For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults: 21 And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

Titus 3:9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain. 10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; 11 Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.

I believe the Lord will help me to withdraw from that sub forum even if it does not get removed by administration.

The poll does not have any sway on the administration; FYI

Scripture should have sway over all believers wishing to follow Him as His disciples.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The forum was founded because the C\A debates were eating up space in the Baptist Theology & Bible Study and the General Baptist Discussions Forums. IOW, it is an attempt by the Admin team to quarantine the discussion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. HopefulNChrist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks for the information.

Is there any chance for a Bible Questions & Answers Forum for All Christian Members?

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am neither a Calvinist or an Arminian in belief. I believe this type of discussion needs to be open.

I personally became a Christian on the notion that one can know for sure when one dies one will go to Heaven.

I remain a Christian knowing God through His Son, which I cannot deny. knowing God and so having eternal life. (John 17:3; 1 John 5:9-13; 2 Corinthians 5:8)

5. HopefulNChrist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not sure that some of the topics are for proper edification when arguing over behind the scenes of how God works in salvation in the scripture in relation to man's participation like "free will" and such topics that tempts believers to bite & devour.

Romans 14:1Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

2 Timothy 2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes. 24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

There are obvious snares of the devil in the world and in the churches that we should be serving Him by that has more to deal with our abiding in Him than trying to settle in our minds of the behind the scenes workings of God towards our salvation.

I thank God the Father that I believe in His Son since He revealed Him to me so I can believe in Him; ( John 6:46 & Matthew 11:25-27 ) as I believe my believing in Him is a work of God Himself. But some would like to argue otherwise in regards to free will.

The fact that we believe in Him should be enough without arguing the mechanics of it. That is the truth. Certainly not to the point of name calling or debasing others for not seeing "truth" of the mechanics of God's work in salvation.

1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

6. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, let me get this right. Because you have a personal conviction against discussions about Monergism and Synergism, you think they should be prohibited on the BB? Here is an idea. How about not binding the conscience of others and you just decide not to participate in those discussions?

7. HopefulNChrist

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Who are you replying to?

You can see in other Christian forums as well as in this forum that the Calvinism VS Arminianism Debate is ongoing and hardly ever coming close to being settled when it is on God to cause the increase.

Titus 3:9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain. 10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; 11 Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.

But is it not your observation how it goes beyond the first and second admonition when eventually, name calling and debasement are exchanged in biting and devouring one another? So what good does it do for either side of the debate?

There is patience in meekness in discussions and then there are contentions that goes towards the flesh on both sides.

I reckon if you can have a conversation without an argument, then more power from Him to you, but surely you can see that is not so with everybody else in that discussion. To care for the body of Christ should also be avoiding discussions for others not to stumble.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If anyone does not like the topic of discussion in any forum please feel free to not read nor respond in that forum.

What we will NOT do is allow forum members to censor what other members are allowed, under the forum rules, to discuss.

As this thread has no merit, I am closing it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.