1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christian Schools teach the theory of Evolution?

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by Salty, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF there are no restrictions on a teacher's teaching Biblical creationism, assuming, in the first place that he/she is a Bible-believing person & the material(s) are pro-Biblical (The Institute for Creation Research [ICR] has excellent resources on this.), I see not real reason why a public (i.e., government controlled & operated [Using OUR tax dollars!!]) school teacher can't teach Creationism as a scientifically-established FACT (vs. Evolution, which is NOT a scientifically-established fact!!). The only problem I can foresee is that most public schools have unions that historically are NOT very friendly to anything related to Biblical truths. Depending on how that public school is governed (local school boards & state Education Depts, etc.), they MIGHT would want something such as Biblical creationism taught unless "equal time" is given to the theory of evolution. (IMHO, when one contrasts the actual evidence for either one, Biblical creationism will be the hands-down winner!) PS--The teacher, IMHO anyway, should just stick to teaching the FACTS of Biblical creationism, & not as a pulpit to "convert" a student while that student is in his/her class. In most states there are laws on the books that prohibit "conversion"-type teaching in a classroom setting. OTOH, a student's free time CAN in most cases, provided that the student initiates the conversation.

2. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Biblical Creationism is taught properly in a a Public school by a Bible-believing instructor, that MAY lead to a student's "conversion" to the Personification of The Truth (John 14:6). What a student does with that information. OTOH, is up to the student (and to the HS). If that student truly trusts & receives Jesus Christ as her/his own Personal Savior, that SHOULD lead them to want to prepare for Christ's Second Coming. However, preparing a student for His Second Coming, IMHO anyway, shouldn't be THE MAJOR goal for that particular class. There are laws on the books in many areas that would actually forbid a teacher "to PREACH the Gospel in a classroom setting," so wisdom & discernment by the teacher would be advisable.

3. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist

4. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that in a public school (Which actually is a misnomer. What all public schools REALLY are are Government-controlled & Government-operated MIS-educational institutions!!). This is why it is incumbent on God-fearing & God-following people to not only take interest in local politics, but also to RUN for whatever local political office(s) that you can. God's Word (e.g. 2 Chronicles 7:14). For way too long, we who are born-again believers & followers of Jesus Christ & His Word have let "Somebody Else" run OUR tax-payer funded educational institutes (from Pre-School on through College/University-levels), be controlled by folks who not only DON'T believe God's Word, but also take delight in mocking it. Back in "The Good Old Days," a person who might only have an elementary school education could at least write his/her name & do fundamental math & science procedures. NOW many college-level graduates don't have the slightest idea how to do these things. Back in the early 1960s, we allowed both prayer & Bible reading to be outlawed by our US Supreme Court "Justices." Then, later on, The 10 Commandments & portraits of our nation's leaders (BOTH men & women BTW) were, by law, removed from the schools that OUR OWN tax money funded. Instead, NOW there are racist & communist ideas on the schools & pictures of Lenin, Stain, Mao, Castro, etc., on the walls & corridors, & even the lunch rooms. What were relatively safe places for our children to learn are now patrolled by armed "School Resource Officers." I have a close personal friend who is one in one of our local schools, & he said that he has to act as a missionary to the children in an area that was once known as "The Bible Belt." NOW, God's Word CAN'T be taught at all there....BUT the Islamic KORAN IS taught & held up as an example by which the next generations MUST follow!! Thank God that He is a loving & patient God, BUT even His patience has a limit. OT Israel was taken captive by the enemies of God, and even today that nation is STILL under attack!! Will WE be next?? I don't know when our final hours on this earth will be, but Jesus Christ DID tell His people to "occupy till I come." While that will be we can't know when that will be there are definite hints on each days' news. Yes, our salvation IS secured by Jesus Christ, but our collective SANCTIFCATION is up to each & every one of us. There's a bunch of truth in this old saying, "Only ONE life, 'till soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last!"

5. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's a hard call to make, in my book. Because we cannot teach them Christianity, because that may not be their choice in religions. But we cannot teach them paganism or Islam for the very same reason. Me, *now*, I am not very accepting of Islam as a religion. I'm not sure what to consider it. Should that be taught in school? Maybe post-secondary.
    So can we teach evolution? No, not really. Even though I am an Old Earth fanatic I do not beleive that the "evolutionary trail" exists as I was taught in school. Man did not come from monkeys, nor did we evolve from fish, none of that works for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem I see is that, while "Officially" paganism isn't supposed to be taught in our public schools, in "Reality" paganism IS taught in our public schools! Although it's not "Officially" a class such as "Paganism 101," yet it is taught by the majority of so-called "Teachers" who've been the product of our so-called "Institutes of Higher Learning (Colleges and Universities)." Every time when our young people enter the classroom, this is primarily what they are taught--even by teachers from so-called "Christian Colleges & Universities" that long ago departed from what our Bibles state from Genesis 1:1 on through to Revelation 22:21. And on our youth's tests & report cards they are required to put down this anti-Bible line as the so-called "Ultimate Truth" or face a failing grade for these "Required Classes." While we as parents are forced to fund these so-called "Institutes of Higher Learning" with our hard-earned tax dollars! Moreover, when our young people finally DO graduate from them, all they know IS, in fact, PAGANISM!

7. Will7

Will7 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went to a Christian school growing up and was taught creationism and then later in college I took a secular Biology class. Both were informative and not all of the science in the Biology class was bad. For a Christian school, I think if you are going to teach evolution, you need a few things:

1. The teacher must know what they are talking about. The school shouldn't have a teacher that doesn't know much about evolution teach on it but rather someone that is well studied.
    2. The teacher must be able to make good arguments against it. There are many arguments out there against evolution that typically fall flat but the teacher must be prepared to show the students the flaws with the theory.
    3. If the school is receiving federal funds, I believe the school should follow the federal standard. (This could be through the voucher system.)

Very interesting topic of discussion though!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. dad2

dad2 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Moses did not believe in evolution. Moses did not believe anything he learned in Egypt unless it was true. A Christian teacher in a Christian school should teach the gospel and the truth of creation. They should also point out that the theory of evolution is a belief based Satanic crock. That is how it needs to be taught.

9. AbM

AbM New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We should bring the children out of the darkness created by 'world'.
    Ephesians 5:8

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it should be taught -
    I had in the teacher in the 9th grade - who taught us evolution -
    When I explained my objection - he gave an answer, I have never forgotten
    :You cannot beat them if you do not know them.

If we do not educate our Children on evolution - they will not know how to defend against it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KNOW YOUR ENEMY - or he will make you look totally inept!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1