1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians be Good Caretakers of God's Creation?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JustChristian, May 12, 2008.

?
  1. Yes. He charged us with being good stewards of His Creation.

37 vote(s)
    94.9%
  2. No. Just because God made everything doesn't require for us to preserve it.

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

God gave us charge over all of His creation. Does that give us the responsibility to preserve it or can we pollute it, misuse it and destroy it?

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. -Luke 12:6

2. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I do believe we were given dominion over the earth and its resources by God. It says so in Genesis 1:26-30. I believe He is expecting to use what we need wisely, not wastefully.

love,

Sopranette

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe we are to be good stewards of what God has given us. I also believe this must be balanced with common sense. We should not elevate the creation above the creator.

4. queenbee

queenbee Member

I'm glad you started this thread BaptistBeliever! I believe it is an important topic and one we ALL need to be taking carefully to heart. Other posters have stated that we are steward's of Gods resources, etc. and I personally support that.

I have been pretty religious the last few years about recycling/environment, but during the annual 'New Year's' resolution period this year, made the decision to a) decide, b) commit, and c) take increased action on my own personal footprint.
    I did so in the hopes that I would tread far more reverently on the face of this earth this year. The ultimate reason for doing this is twofold; not just to protect our resources, but to please God. Our goal as Christians should be to set this example to others - to live in harmony with our world as our Lord created it - not to just use it for our own egotistical purposes, nor squander or ignore the bleeding going on around us.

It would be nice to hear from others what we are each doing in our own small way to affect a difference in our world.

#4 queenbee, May 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2008
  5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I voted yes. As a Christian citizen and neighbor to my fellow man, I should to everything I can to keep our world clean and safe. Pastors should teach their people this responsibility. But churches should not be distracted from its higher mission of preaching the gospel and worshipping God by getting involved in political movements like environmentalism.

#5 J.D., May 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2008
  6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Environmental issues should be neither higher than or equal to man.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Whats usually lacking is common sense.

I agree, as long as we as humans can manage it without worshipping the created.

absolutely,
    Christ did not die for flowers, and trees, and animals, etc. He died for man.

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean by the words "higher" or "equal?"

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When we're more worried about saving the whales than saving unborn babies, we've elevated creation over man. When coyotes are allowed to roam neighborhoods in California and attack children, again, things are way off balance. When people have worked hard to buy property, then are told they can't build a home there because a certain species of rat lived there first, well, there's another example.

Even Rush Limbaugh has to turn off his security lights at night because certain environmentalists have made it illegal to have lights on outside after a certain time due to a species of frogs. I guess the light hinders the frogs mating process.:rolleyes:

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I fail to see how a Christian can not be a good steward of creation. Of all people they are the ones who truly care for creation because they see as it is- the work of the Almighty not the spontaneous conglomeration of happenstance. We worship the creator and not the creation therefore we love the work of His hands because it manifests to us His greatness.

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

God created the animals lower than man and that is where they should be kept.

As abcgrad stated, I can not see me joining in a "save the whales" campaign while millions of babies are being murdered in the womb every day.

That is putting animals 'higher' than man.

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Evil, wicked, greedy men want to exploit the earth for personal gain without regard to future generations. Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Kim Jong Il, et, al are and were in it for themselves. Disrespect for God's creation is a result of man's sin and will continue to be until all things are renewed by God. You plant corn to eat and save some for replanting. You plant trees for many uses and harvest them just like corn. Everything that God has given us is renewable. The air, the sea and the rivers are under his control and He will not let it be destroyed by any man. In fact God Himself will renew all of it, Heaven and Earth. This renewal will come as a result of fallen men and Angels who have sinned, not because they drive an SUV.

It took a God who loved His creation so much that He sent His only Son to die so men could live forever. Not because man polluted a river or deposited toxic waste, but for his sin and rebellion against God. If your heart is right with God then you will want what He wants, the Salvation of your kindred, not another tree hugger.

#12 Palatka51, May 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2008
  13. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Amen sister, amen.

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it's insane to destroy where we live. If we do where shall we live? Someday Christ will destroy those who destroy the earth.
    Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.
    Polluting the earth is nothing short of destroying it.
    MB

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

The earth is not more important then man, Chrit died for man, not the earth.
    Everyone creates polution in some way. Do you throw out trash at all? What about your contribution to methane gas? Drive a car? Have a pet(more methane)?
    So if polluting is destroying the earth (in context with the given verse), then we're all going to be destroyed, and not going to heaven.
    Yet the given verse contrasts the destroyers with the saints. Now why is that?
    It means that the meaning of the verse goes much deeper then simply those who pollute.

16. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't make the claim that I haven't left my foot print. Of course we all do, but do I care? Yes I do. Do I throw out trash? yes I do but I recycle as much as I can. Do I drive? No I'm legally blind and that would no doubt make me a destroyer LOL. However I am driven to where I need to go. Why do we use fossil fules? when we could just as easily run our cars on Hydrogen with practically no pollution at all. We can even make our own hydrogen and wouldn't have to buy it from the Arabs. Ever wonder why we don't?. Because people don't care. People would rather pollute the earth and be dependant on oil paying $4.00 per gallon for it than drive for free. They say this will wreck the economy. Have you looked at our economy lately?.
    There are better ways to live. However no matter what we do we will still pollute the earth some. We could all stand up and demand Hydrogen cars and we would get them if we did. The auto makers claim they need to experiment first, which is a lie. They've had engines running on Hydrogen for decades they just don't want the public to survive with out giving them all our money for fuel. They keep making excuses like "Hydrogen in dangerous". So is gasoline. In fact gasoline is even more dangerous.
    With the price of oil doubling every year how long can you stay a float?

Of course the verse mentioned by me goes deeper than just pollution but you can't deny that pollution is part of it.

The verse is about rewarding the saints and the Judgement coming on those that have rejected Christ
    MB

#16 MB, May 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2008
  17. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

That isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about professing Christians looking at those of us who think we should protect the environment as wild-eyed liberals. My position is that God created the Earth. Why shouldn't we protect it? There's actually a lot of scripture to support this belief.

18. nunatak

nunatak New Member

We should be responsible citizens in our private lives.

Social issues have no place in the pulpit. Preach the Word.

19. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

If God cares about wildlife and plants why shouldn't we?

In Luke (12:6), Jesus stresses that even the lowliest of creatures is loved by God: "Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God."

What is perhaps the world’s first anti-pollution law is found in Deuteronomy (23:13-15), which forbids contaminating the land with human waste. And in 2 Kings (2:19-22), the prophet Elisha appears to remedy a crisis of water pollution that was causing miscarriages in the land.

Trees and forests are accorded a special reverence in the Bible, and one of the first things the Israelites were commanded to do when they “came into” the Promised Land was to plant trees and allow them to mature before eating the fruits thereof (Leviticus 19:23).

One of the world's first nature-protection regulations is found in the Mosaic Law (Deuteronomy 20:19), which forbids the destruction of fruit-bearing trees even when waging war against a city. The verse concludes that "thou shalt not cut them down (for a tree of the field is man's life) to employ them in the siege."

Throughout the Bible, in stressing the reverence humans should have toward the land, the Scriptures impart a strong conservation message, warning against overutilizing and wearing out natural resources. In Leviticus (25:2-4), the Lord commands that: “... the land shall keep a Sabbath unto the Lord ... in the seventh year shall be a Sabbath for the Lord; thou shalt neither sow thy field, nor prune thy vineyard.”

Some Biblical scholars see significance in the fact that God pronounced each thing He created – the whales, birds, cattle, "everything that creepeth upon the ground," and the other "beasts of the earth – as "good" in itself (Genesis 1:21, 25). But when the Creation was combined and united, the Lord declared it "very good" (Genesis 1:31), perhaps because He had achieved His will of creating a universe of harmony, or a balanced ecosystem as we would call it today.

The theme of God's concern for His Creation is eloquently summed up by Psalm 104, which praises the Lord for His greatness in providing for all of His creatures. It notes how dependent we all are on the ecological system that God has established, proclaiming: “O Lord, how manifold are thy works! In wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches. So is this great and wide sea, wherein are things creeping innumerable, both small and great beasts.”

God's love of the land for its own sake, not just as a servant for humans, is demonstrated when the Lord speaks to Job from the whirlwind telling him how He does ... cause it to rain on the earth, where no man is: on the wilderness, wherein there is no man; to satisfy the desolate and waste ground; and to cause the bud of the tender herb to spring forth (Job 12:7-11).

Evidence of human-stewardship obligations is found in the Bible's stressing that mankind is only a "sojourner," a temporary resident of the land the Lord loans to him. In Leviticus (25:23), the Lord proclaims, "The land is mine; for you are strangers and sojourners with me."

The Twenty-fourth Psalm makes clear that the world belongs not to mankind but to God, observing that "The earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof; The world, and they that dwell therein." Similarly, Deuteronomy 10: 14 proclaims, "Behold, unto the Lord thy God belongeth the heaven and the earth, with all that therein is."

All living things are also God's creatures and belong to Him, as the Lord clearly points out in Psalm 50: “For every beast of the forest is mine; and the cattle upon a thousand hills. I know all the fowls of the mountain; and the wild beasts of the field are mine.”

The view that mankind's fate depends on protecting and preserving the earth's life-support systems – the Environment – can be found in Ecclesiastes 3:19-21, which stresses that if wildlife perishes, humans will not long survive: “For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts, even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other, yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast.... All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again. Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?”

One of the greatest Christian theologians of all times, the medical missionary and Nobel prize winner Dr. Albert Schweitzer, wrote that humans were "compelled by the commandment of love ... proclaimed by Jesus" to respect all forms of life. He taught that one should avoid “carelessly cutting off the head of a single flower growing on the edge of the road, for in doing so (would be to) injure life without being forced to do so by necessity." Schweitzer wrote eloquently of the need to show reverence for all forms of life: “A man's religion is of little value unless even seemingly insignificant creatures benefit from it. A truly religious man does not ask how far this or that deserves sympathy ... to him, life as such is sacred.”

Another leading Christian theologian, Reverend Norman Vincent Peale, has written, "I do not believe a person can be a true Christian and at the same time deliberately engage in cruel or inconsiderate treatment of animals."

The Reverend Dr. Billy Graham has written, "The Bible teaches that we are not to abuse or punish animals in a cruel way. God has created them, and while mankind is given dominion over the animals, we are not to treat them cruelly.”

Reverend Lloyd Putman has warned against practicing "religious myopia," saying that "we have a small religion if it has no room for the rest of God's creatures." The famous English theologian Cardinal John Henry Newman (1801- 1890) once wrote that "cruelty to animals is as if a man did not love God."

This has thus become one of the great political issues of our day – the massive and increasing destruction of God's Creation, our natural environment. But our environmental crisis has also become a moral and spiritual issue, since it is overwhelming the earth's ability to repair itself and to support not just wildlife but human life as well. What greater sin could there be than to destroy future generations’ ability to live on our planet?

Fortunately, the solution to many of these problems may be found in the doctrines of our ancient Judaic-Christian faith, especially the holiest of our sacred scriptures, the Bible. If adhered to, these teachings, promoting a reverence for the earth and its creatures, could prevent many of the threats to our biological life support systems, and ensure a secure future for humanity on this planet.

What else in the Bible do you consider inappropriate?

20. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I realize my opinion isn't nearly as valid or useful as say, Norman Vincent Peale's, or Billy Graham's. I just prefer to rely on scripture to determine what kind of message should be preached from the pulpit. I do not mean to state that we should not be responsible citizens in our private lives, in fact, I did state that I do believe that. But I stand with Paul with regards to the message we preach, the doctrine we adhere to, and that message is Christ. Christ alone, not abortion, nor animal rights, nor environmental issues. We should preach Christ alone from all of scripture.

1Co 2:2 For I decided to be concerned about nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified.