1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians emphasize/exhort a kind of Agrarianism?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is something that has grown up in my mind the past several years. First, let's define what I mean by Agrarianism.

Agrarianism - The idea that interaction with God's environment (I.E Outdoors), often through agriculture or other outdoor activities, is of more spiritual benefit than that of Man's environment (a videogame or computer).

When I read God's word I constantly see references to agriculture. I see many examples of metaphors that God uses such as in Jesus's parables with seeds thrown on different soils, or shepherding, etc.

I believe that the current culture in the Western World emphasizes time in man's world (videogames, TVs, cities) rather than time in the creation that God made.

The other day I was shelling peas and had an epiphany. Some of the pea pods looked nice on the outside, but had underdeveloped fruit. Others were the opposite. At the end of our lives God will "shell" us, and will we produce a good mess of peas for Him? Things like this you can't get from videogames and if I hadn't interacted with His creation I wouldn't have received this.

I'm sure I ain't the first farmer to make these connections, but folks in cities don't get to make these same connections as they're interacting with Man's world rather than God's creation.

What do y'all think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably. Creation testifies of God while very often man's inventions testify of men.

• Like Like x 2
  3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting thought, Jon. I guess should have bought the wife's old family farm. Of course with acreage being sold at $8000 an acre, I didn't have the cash for 240 acres...
    I guess that means sitting behind a desk and a computer screen will have to suffice.

There is something valuable in being involved with nature. I grew up with woods all around me and miles of land to roam. I still love getting out and enjoying hikes, kayaking and biking as my method of meeting God in his creation. There are lessons there that cannot be found in a video game for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doubtless, rural folk have the advantage over city folk in this. Perhaps you could start a ministry for city kids to experience life on the farm.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great idea :). Our Church is 30 minutes away in the big "city" in the county (Pop 1200). I'm working with them on getting a Trail Life troop going :).

We employ teenagers here too to help us process poultry, fix fence, run new fence, catch the birds, etc. Don't tell the government. They'll think I'm evil for teaching young men life skills.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    .[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1