1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should Christians strongly support the SECOND AMENDMENT?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew
    10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

"I'm with you fellers," O Brother Where Art Thou

3. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proverbs 25:21
    If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink:

Matthew
    5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil

5:42 Give to him that asketh thee
    5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
    5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

So, corndoggy, I take you accept all violence visited upon you, you would never think of defending yourself or your family, and you do not believe that people should take a stand when government becomes corrupt and tyrannical?

From the scripture you quoted: "For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

Seems that part says the rulers should do good unto the people, and it goes even further to say a ruler should be a "minister of God." How many rulers in today's world serve as "ministers of God?" I can't really think of any, especially here in the US, where our politicians (and to quote Valerie Jarrett, our "ruler" Barack Obama) are actually trying harder and harder to remove God from the public conscience.

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our Father which art in heaven..............

And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

And then there will be no need for guns.

6. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew
    6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
    6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
    6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
    6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
    6:23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!
    6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
    6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
    6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
    6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
    6:28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
    6:29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
    6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
    6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
    6:32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
    6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
    6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

7. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether or not I would do something and whether or not I think it is biblical are two different things. It's not biblical.

8. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I appreciate your use of scripture to back up your point of view, though I would like to know why you think Jesus would tell people to buy a sword if he did not mean for them to protect themselves?

9. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Peter
    2:9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
    2:10 But chiefly them that… despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities…

… speak evil of the things that they understand not;
    and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;
    2:13 And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;
    2:14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:

10. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're getting lazy on me. Go up a few posts. #19.

11. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

That's just sad... :tear:

:thumbsup:

What's the next verse say?

All of this world's rulers are ministers of God in that God is sovereign over all and he is in control of them all. That's the point of that text, that God is supremely sovereign over even the most wicked of earthly rulers. Remember, Nero was emperor when that was written.

Pro 21:1 NASB - The king's heart is like channels of water in the hand of the LORD; He turns it wherever He wishes.

#31 RLBosley, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
  12. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point of view is that I was walking around my house just this morning at 4 AM with a 9mm because my dog was barking. That don't make it biblical.

13. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

:thumbsup::applause:

14. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Looking at the statement "God is sovereign over all and he is in control of them all" I have some questions/concerns. Making an inference from this statement, I conclude that no one in a position of Authority is capable of acting as a free moral agent. "[God] is in control of them all" carries a connotation of lack of free will.

If that is indeed the case, then God is responsible for a long list of atrocities that we all are usually very quick to ascribe to mankind simply claiming the name of God. From the Crusades to the Holocaust to the current epidemics of drug use, sexual depravity, and abortion, all of these causes have their human "ruler" backers. If these rulers lack free will, as this statement implies, then they cannot be held accountable for their transgressions. ***Please note, I'm not saying this because it is something I believe. I'm just inferring from the statement above.***

15. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Case and point... Transfer that enthusiasm for your flag, country, patriotism, etc. into the gospel... get back, Jack. Revival is a comin'. Although you seem sure it is not. Thus your clinging to guns would be for what end? To continue a godless nation aborting millions? Have at it, sir.

BTW... I'm not leftist. I'm just trying to be a Christian first before I am a citizen of this world.

16. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

What I mean is that while yes they make genuine choices and are thus responsible, God is also sovereign and nothing they do is outside of his control. God is sovereign and man is responsible.

17. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I just realized I never commented on the OP. Sorry about that.

I personally support the 2nd amendment because the threat of deadly force is the most effective way IMO to control the wickedness of pagans.

However, I think that Christians would actually be better off if we did not avail ourselves to the use of it. We are to be gentle, and harmless - loving our enemies as Christ did and entrusting ourselves to the One who will execute perfect justice.

So I support the 2nd amendment, but feel it should be used only by the unbeliever in order to defend himself from other unbelievers.

18. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Justice and defense are two different things.

20. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

That's a bit of an over-simplification, Rolf, though I agree with much of the sentiment. Using historical figures to prove points opens up a new can of worms, though.

EDIT: Please note, this is in response to Post #38, with the picture Rolf posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.