1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians support the death penalty?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by jdcanady, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen. That was something an American missionary commented to me before, that our government practiced very biblical principles (in other areas of public governance besides law and order) though we remain a secular state. British inherited laws, therefore, Bible based. Thank God!
    (For instance, we are not a welfare state. You work for your keep. The government gives help only through heavily subsidizing health care, education, housing... but you have to work in order to benefit.)

I so agree with v3. I don't care if it was the death penalty for vandalism. I'm not going to vandalize. It's those who commit crimes who oughta be afraid what the law says.

Well, Michael Faye probably will not vandalize again in Singapore. Cars everywhere else... beware!!! :eek:

Mind you, the canes are not those sissy ones. They are long and THICK. And the skin rips. Doctors are in attendance and no more than one stroke is executed at any one time. I think if my memory serves, Faye was sentenced to four.

At that time, many Americans were crying foul and Singapore was called "draconian". But then i think there were many too who said good! Give it to him!

2. bmerr

bmerr New Member

jdcandy,

I am a Christian in favor of capital punishment. God's law has always been that the punishment should fit the crime (ie. "eye for an eye", etc.)

As mentioned by others, Paul states that government "beareth not the sword in vain". The Romans weren't slapping folks on the wrist with that sword. They were taking heads.

Additionally, In Acts 25:11, Paul says, "For if I be an offender, or have committed any thing worthy of death, I refuse not to die..."

Paul, an apostle of Christ, inspired by the Hloy Spirit, here acknowledges that there are crimes worthy of the death penalty, and even states his willingness to be put to death if he is guilty of any such thing.

Paul had the Spirit of God (1 Cor 7:40). If we would follow the teachings of the Spirit, we would agree with Paul on the matter.

In Christ,
    bmerr

3. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

To Su Wei

I encourage you to take the time to read the entire thread. You may find it interesting.

thanks for the post

4. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

To bmerr

I sense you may not have read the entire thread either. Much of what you talk about has been covered.

My point is that Christians are nowhere told to seek or support the death of anyone. It goes against I Tim. 1:15-16, which says Christians should deal with violent people in the same manner that Christ dealt with Paul; with great patience, and mercy and grace.

Thanks for the post

5. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

To av1611jim

I can tell you have become upset over this discussion. Take a breath and let's not get personal, OK? I still love you brother.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

From a practical point of view: If someone could assure me that an innocent person would never die then I would be for it.

So can the pro death people provide an answer to my dilemma?

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

GB;
    You know it is unfair to characterize us as "pro death people" just as it would be for us to characterize your side as "pro crime people".

And yes. I can assure you that an innocent person would never die (at the hands of one who had killed before because he would be dead and would have no chance to do it again! ) [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

jd;
    You are right of course. I AM upset. Forgive me for getting personal.
    Of course, murder, rape, and child molesting isn't personal is it?

In HIS service;
    Jim

9. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

jim

It is unwise and dangerous to live our lives according to how we feel about a particular issue. Murder, rape, child molestation is beyond repulsive. However, we cannot let our emotions overrule our judgment. We are prone to deception because of our sin and the fact we live in a fallen world. That is why God has revealed in His Word how we should live our lives and respond to these issues. Scripture is our only infalliable guide.

I have done my level best to stick the the texts of scripture under discussion. We are called to a higher standard of righteousness than that of the world, of secular governments. We ought to be able to rationally discuss scripture, and not waste our time trying to declare which of us is more outraged about these horrible crimes.

10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

jd;
    Thanks for your "sermonizing" but you still haven't dealt with the problem rationally, IMO.

Here is my kind of guy.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/m/miracopjail.htm

This man understands PUNISHMENT for criminals.
    Sadly, he doesn't have to meet out proper punishment for the more evil of our society, but I dare say he would get my vote for Prison Warden of the Century. If you could absolutely guarantee that every killer without exception got this kind of treatment for the duration of their natural life, then I would support no death penalty. But you cannot. Therefore....

In HIS service;
    Jim

11. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I am really done now. Don't bother replying.
    I won't be back to this thread.

In HIS service;
    Jim

12. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

In reference to jim's final post on this thread:

Chose to follow the example of the man at that website

or

chose to follow the example of our Lord Jesus Christ, as commanded in I Tim. 1:15-16

I chose to follow the example of my Lord.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Is your implication that those who don't agree with you or who are for the death penalty are not following Christ?

14. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

To Marcia

(You Said)

"Is your implication that those who don't agree with you or who are for the death penalty are not following Christ? "

No, It is not. It has nothing to do with whether you agree with me, but whether you agree with the clear teaching of scripture.

I am stating clearly that those who support the death penalty are not following the example of Jesus as explained in I Tim. 1:15-16. The example of patience which Jesus exhibited with Paul was specifically given to future believers for the purpose of demonstating (teaching) us how to deal with violent, unloveable people.

To support the death penalty is the eptiome of not having patience, longsuffering, mercy, grace. It is unseemly, and unChristlike to seek the death of anyone or to support the taking of another person's life.

15. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

16. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

To Marcia

If you are implying that I am questioning the salvation of a Christian who supports the death penalty, let me be clear that I am not.

The question is about being obedient to what God has revealed to us in scripture, even when we disagree with what it says. We shouldn't pick and chose (though most do) what we want to believe and what we want to ignore.

This passage in I Tim. is clear in what it teaches. All who understand that have to decide whether to be obedient or not, to have that same kind of patience and mercy and love or not.

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

jdcanady, I disagree with you and your use of the 1 Tim. passage as an opposition to the death penalty.

As I said earlier, I am not arguing for or against the death penalty here (I have been on both sides of the issue, both before and after I became a believer), but I just don't see this passage as being applicable to the death penalty. I agree it is applicable to being patient with those you are witnessing to and teaching. That has nothing to do with the death penalty.

Using this reasoning, then we could say that God did not follow this passage because he executed Aninias and Sapphira in Acts 5; he also tells us not to pray for those "committing a sin leading to death" (1 Jn. 5.16).

18. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I share a position similar to Marcia's. While I prefer to lean against the death penalty because of grace, I've never taken a hard pro or con position on this issue. I consider it to be similar to Christian pacifism.

I believe it is possible to be obedient to the 1 Tim. passage and still support the death penalty. Although I am concerned about the attitude of some who appear to look forward to the death of criminals.

I believe a Christian who supports the death penalty should do so as a regretable necessity that we seek to avoid, like war.

19. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

To Marcia

(You Said)

"but I just don't see this passage as being applicable to the death penalty. I agree it is applicable to being patient with those you are witnessing to and teaching. That has nothing to do with the death penalty."

The context of I Tim. 1:15-16 is clear. Look at verses 9 and 10. Paul gives a long list of unrighteous men. This list includes those who kill their fathers and mothers and murderers.

He then says he has been entrusted with the "Glorious Gospel" and that he has been "strenghtened" for service. What service? Taking the gospel to these types of unrighteous men! Look at Paul's life and count how many times people tried to kill him.

He then says that he is the foremost sinner of all. Why? We know from Paul's background that he persecuted the church (Acts 8) and breathed threats and murders (Acts 9).

He then says that Jesus Christ had mercy. Jesus showed great patience with Paul for a specific reason. To demonstrate to future Christians that we should have the same kind of patience,mercy, love in dealing with people like Paul, the murderer, the foremost of all sinners.

He then tells Timothy that this same commandment has been entrusted to Him (and to us by way of example), to fight the good fight, to keep the faith and a good conscience.

What does this refer to if not back to having the same example in us that Christ had with Paul?

He then says to pray for all men, that such an attitude is pleasing to God, and that God desires all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth.

What does this refer to if not to having the same example in us that Christ had with Paul?

He then says for that he wants men to pray, without wrath or dissension. "Wrath" is a word specifically related to seeking punishment with an attitude of anger.

What does this refer to if not to having the same example in us that Christ had with Paul?

(you said)

"Using this reasoning, then we could say that God did not follow this passage because he executed Aninias and Sapphira in Acts 5; he also tells us not to pray for those "committing a sin leading to death" (1 Jn. 5.16)."

I have said repeatedly that only God has the perfect wisdom to execute the death penalty. I Tim. is not an example to God, it is an example to Christians.

The "sin leading to death" passage in I John is not specific and has caused much debate. What is the sin leading to death? John never says exactly. He appears to be referring to Christians that are continually living a life of sin. God takes their life so they will not be a detriment to the gospel. This may be similar to Paul's admonishment to the Christians at Corinth that because of their abuse of the Lord's Supper, "many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep." Sleep is a reference to death, there.

Are you saying that the I John passage means we should not pray for people that have committed murder, because murder leads to the death penalty and therefore it is "the sin leading to death?"

It simply cannot mean that because we have been commanded to pray for all men (I Tim. 2:1)

John says, 5:16, " If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death: I do not say that he should make request for this."

There are several possibilities for "this":

1. That we do not pray for those who have died to be brought back "to life".

2. That we do not pray that someone will die because of their sin. As you might expect, I favor this one.

3. That we do not pray for people who have comitted a sin leading to death (I really don't think this is a valid option because it contradicts other scripture)

John is talking about other Christians here, or at least those who are professing to be Christians.

I don't think you can build a case for the support of the death penalty from these verses.

thanks for the post

20. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

To Gold Dragon

(You said)

"I believe a Christian who supports the death penalty should do so as a regretable necessity that we seek to avoid, like war."

I don't see the death penalty as a necessity at all. We can protect our society by keeping people in prison for the rest of their lives. It is not the same as war, which brings up the "just war" debate and we don't really want to go there in this thread.

thanks for the post