1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should I change phone service?

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by Salty, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I currently have service from Spectrum (Time Warner) for home phone and internet.
    I currently have mobile cell service from ATT. for two phones - mine and Mrs. Salty.

In my Specturn bill, there was a notice that if I was to switch my cell service to Specturn -
    I would be able to save about 70 dollars a month.

The one catch - neither phone would be compatible with Spectrum.
    Thus we would have to buy two new phones. For both new phones
    That would cost about a total of $250. One thing on the phone
    I currently have a flip phone - but Spectrurm does not have flip phones.
    So I would have to get a new "fancy one"

Any Suggestions

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, today, I got an ad for cell phone service.
    I like the price
    My flip phone will transfer
    sounds like a good plan

+ I have a membership that will give me a monthly discount.

will be saving a good bit of money every month.!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice :) we don't even have cell coverage at the house :p. Most fire dept members have Active 911 on their smart phones, but I still have an old fashioned pager to get fire dept calls.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Flip phones, Salty??! Ummm, I'm going to say this as nice as I know how, you are WAY behind the times my friend, it is time to move into the world of smartphones.:Biggrin:Roflmao:Biggrin

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and why would that be a problem?

My flip phone calls people - thats all I need.
    In fact, I would prefer that it not be able to text!

If I need to something on the net I go to my computer!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a problem, kind of comical, ...cute that you still are still hanging on to that antique phone. But, I understand, my mom was the Queen of Set in Your Ways and an expert at coming up for reasons not to change it. Thought I'd never talk her into using a clothes dryer when she had a perfectly good clothes line in the backyard. :Smile
    I hear ya, I tried to tell my kids that they only needed was one of them flip-phones with some numbers and a red and green button, about 15 years ago :Roflmao, but do you think I could convince of them of that? :Biggrin NO!
    Yeah, it would be tempting the next time you wanted to give someone a quick message without interrupting their day with that new-fangled :Coffee texting apparatus taking advantage of changing your ways. And then there's all those new photos you'd probably start taking just because you could or worse yet people might start sending you photos electronically instead of sending them through the mail like normal people so you could put them in your album. Nah, I get it, the trouble you perceive with them extra buttons and stuff that you don't need when a phone is supposed to be fer calling people, period! I got it. ;)
    What if you need to know something and you're not home? You may not get out much but it can be pretty handy especially to get directions, locate another store for a correct part, or take advantage of the convenience of say like I learned to do recently, looking up the isle and bay of an item in like 10 seconds at Home Depot when you could have just looked around to find a worker and politely waited for your turn to ask them so they could take a perfectly good guess for you - right or wrong it is that interaction that you could hang on to, I get it. :Biggrin

...Nah, don't take it personal Salty, I'm just funnin you and I will even admit that this conversation would be a lot more fun if it where in person than on this internet forum board. :Roflmao

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Smartphones are hand held min- computers capable of a myriad of functions over and beyond a flip phone. Don’t be backwards, go for it! You’ll like it!

#7 kyredneck, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2021
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did try it - DID NOT LIKE IT!

I'm satisfied with just a flip-phone - a little charger and and a little box
    But in that area code where the number is called, I want a black one thats silver lined
    I want a cell tower just over the hill top in that bright land that my phone will never get old
    and some day yonder - i'when all calls are local -
    and walk the streets that are with no sta-tic

Sung to the tune of :

By the way - I went today and changed our service to our new carrier ]
    which will reduce our bill by about 50%

BTW - Mrs Salty does have the "computer" for her phone and she loves to text.
    If you want her to text you - send me a pm.........

• Like Like x 2
  9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Texting is great! Handy and useful as a pocket on a shirt!

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    leave a voice message

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...one man's jerky is another man's turkey...or sumthin like that :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may have jinxed myself giving Salty a hard time about his old-fashioned flip-phone because I ran over my phone with a tractor yesterday and had to go get a new phone. Of course, this close after Christmas and supply shortages anyway the selection was slim and I was impatient to get a working phone and GUESS what the pretty much only best option seemed be? A new flip-phone!
    [​IMG]

Galaxy Z Flip3 5G 128GB (AT&T) in Phantom Black | Price & Deals | Samsung US

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moral :
    Dont mess with Salty!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just remember, Schapp was found out by leaving his phone behind when he left the pulpit and it had a revealing text message he could find an excuse for having.

My wife and I had to take back the Jitterbug flip phone. It didn't have service in our area.

15. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nowadays Google probably has recording of everything you say while on the phone and maybe even what's said when its in your pocket. I couldn't transfer my data because the other phone was too damaged and said maybe Google would at least have some of my contacts - the Phone Geek tried Google and it wanted ID verification and part of that was my phone opening pin number! How on earth would Goggle know that?! After that it downloaded all my phone contacts and most my apps and all my text messages! Its no wonder I see ads on the computer at night for things I merely spoke of during the day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    wow!!!!

Reminds me of what folks say concerning both God and Santa. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That looks like a pretty powerful unit.

I use iphone 6 but it has very little memory and I have to download it to keep from being charged for cloud.

Do you like or prefer the Operating system? Does it allow for a information exchange (contacts, mail, documents...) from the iphone 6?

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets see - I push the green button to call someone - then when I am finished with the conversation - I push the red button - and the phone turns off - works fine!

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Verizon still has flip phones

20. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears to have better reception in my shop and out on the front of my property and doesn't get stuck trying to use Wifi, so all around faster.
    I haven't come close to using all my memory on my last 3 Android phones. I get an occasional notice about needing more space and backing up but don't use it and it seems to be spam more than anything.
    For several years my wife and daughter have preferred Iphones and my son and I use Androids, not just because we prefer it but because of more practical applications and newer faster improving methods of operation. ...and has more common sense. :D I'm sure people switch all their information between Iphone and Android all the time.

Google had all my current contacts stored and I've never even had any calling relationship with Google beside pressing on call if I find a business I want to talk to, but then even more surprising Google had all my text messages. Google also sends a list of every business I've driven to about once a month which I find rather offensive or intrusive also but I am glad I got my other stuff back.

Information exchange - Yeah, I mean there's all sorts of ways to share and pair with other devices. Documents - I downloaded Word and both it and Google asked me if I wanted access to my computer docs but there's no way I'm giving them that access, ...not that they won't get it eventually anyway if someone doesn't stop them. :Whistling

Another thing I like about this phone is the biometrics work much better as far as my often worn off finger print sign-ins. It would do face recognition too, but I'm trying to keep my face to myself. :UnsureIts only been a few days with this phone but its kind of growing on me.

#20 Benjamin, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1