1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should I leave my Baptist church because of woman pastor/elder?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dancho, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Dancho

Dancho New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello,
    I am new to the forum, 18 years old, from Bulgaria and a believer since last year. The question is stated in the topic title so I am going to give a bit of a backgrwound info.

Our senior pastor allows his wife to preach (she is also a pastor according to the web page of the church) and for some time now there is even another woman from the church that gives sermons sometimes. It seems like women are allowed in the church leadership too (can't 100% confirm since I am not aware who exactly is in charge of the decision making). The senior pastor oppenly admits that women are allowed to preach in this church.

I've been struggling with this question for some months (since I became aware of the NT possition on church leadership). I asked a baptist pastor from another town on the issue and he agrees with the complimetnarian view but also told me that it is "not a dogma or in other words a salvation issue".

Do you think it is a good reason to leave those guys because I've been thinking to press them on the issue for some time. There are other smaller Baptist churches in the town (same church but gathering elsewhere for convenience) but they are a bit far from home-a hour of thravelling. There is also a very old Congregational church (one of the first protestant churches here) in a good location. They seem pretty conservative and also the only place I've seen to teach about the Puritans. B-b-but they sprinkle baybies for whatever reason reformed churches sprinkle babies :)).

I am hesistant to take a decision because it seems like God might have a good reason for me to stay that I have overlooked. However it is also a bit uncomfortable to stay in that congregation since I don't agree with them but at the same time have frequent contact with the pastor's wife because she is a youth leader too.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome aboard and yes go find a bible based church.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My thoughts would be that if the Pastor doesn't understand such simple Scripture such as:
    "But I suffer not a woman to teach..." 1Timothy 2:1
    "A Bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife..." 1 Timothy 3:2

Then my next thought would be why should I trust anything he says, or teaches, if he fails at interpreting even the simplest of written scripture? As the Bible says in Luke 16:10 "He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much". If your current Pastor is not faithfully teaching something as simple as the plainly written verses in 1 Timothy, then how can he be trusted to faithfully teach you any doctrine?

If I were in your shoes, I would probably give that Congregational Church a try. If that Church turns out not to be good I would even consider a solid local Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mitch as I read the post Danchois living in Bulgaria. So, his choices are a bit more limited than in the States, That being said. I'd go to one of the other Baptist Churches in your town. There may be a distance but the Lord will bless your obedience.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dancho, what is the churches doctrine on salvation and the supreme authority of God on all areas of life?
    There are two major reasons I would leave a fellowship.
    1) The church fails to discipline its members when they are found in sin. Our King is holy and he expects his children to represent his holiness with honor and dignity.
    2) The church teaches false doctrine regarding salvation and the attributes of God. God saves by grace alone, apart from works and apart from human merit. God is all powerful, all knowing and always in control. We are not. God commands us to be holy and to confess our sins that we might be forgiven.

There is room for conversation around women teaching and preaching in front of the fellowship of believers. God gives the gift of teaching to whom he wills and he gives the gift of teaching to women.

I believe God gives the role of leadership to qualified men, just as the man has been given leadership responsibilities in marriage. Like marriage my wife has the right to speak and share, but I have to make the final decision. So the pastorate/eldership is a position ordained for qualified men. Women may give educated and wise advice, but the men are ordained to make the final decision.
    So, is your present church doing Godly discipline? Are they teaching truth? If not, then find another fellowship that does.

In regards to women speaking, may God bless their message.

In regard to women being in leadership, I have shared my opinion. Women should not make the final decision according to how I understand scripture. But, I would talk with wise people in your church to discern if it is egregious enough to leave fellowship.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your pastor is defying biblical teaching. And, if he's doing it on this subject, he's doing it on other subjects. Yes, find another church.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The way I read it he is from Bulgaria

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you would like I can help you locates a bible based church. Just pm me

• Like Like x 1
  9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with what all these brethren had to say and I might add a little something also... If this is bothering you, there is a chance it is bothering others also but they don't want to rock the boat... You need to find a church where you are happy and can serve the Lord with a clear conscience... I don't think there is a person on here that can misinterpret this scripture

1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife

This alone disqualifies her, how can a woman be the husband of one wife?... Impossible!... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, a woman can be the husband of one wife -BUT then we have another problem......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny - sure - but also very true!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If people left the church every time they thought something about it was unbiblical, most churches would only have 89 members each.

If you and your family like the church and you are able to serve the Lord using the gifts he gave you then...
    1) Talk it over with the leadership
    2) See how things work out
    3) And don’t leave without letting the leadership of the church know why you are leaving. It just perpetuates a problem.

Rob

p.s. a former elder who just retired and recently moved to Florida was a missionary to Bulgaria

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a breaking point. I could never be a member of a church with a female pastor (most men would find most female pastors to be intolerable, even if they didn't object to female pastors on doctrinal grounds). I would be desperate (like living on an island with one church) to be a member of a church with a male pastor who approves of female ministers.

Leaving churches can have a downside, like leaving a church (or denomination) in the hands of apostates who will then turn the church fully apostate. But, mostly, people leaving churches for bad doctrine is a good thing. Take your body and your tithes to the churches are most faithful to scripture, to promote those churches and their good doctrine.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like someone looking for faux doctrinal reasons to justify deep-seated issues with misogyny.

15. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems like you just jumped the shark.
    There is nothing misogynistic about seeking God's will regarding the guidance of His church. We do this by studying what God has shared in scripture.
    I may be more moderate in my position on women's roles in the church than some here at the Baptist board, but just because they hold a more conservative view than me does not make them misogynists. You are making a big leap with little evidence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are entitled to your opinion. I am at a loss to explain "(most men would find most female pastors to be intolerable, even if they didn't object to female pastors on doctrinal grounds)" otherwise.

I spent a long time being a reluctant complementarian and finally came to the conclusion that many of its adherents were using slim biblical authority to oppose an egalitarianism that they just couldn't stomach for cultural reasons.

17. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leave very quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Shoostie

Shoostie Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You believe many men can't stomach a woman pastor for cultural reasons, which means some degree of agreement with what I said, except I'm a misogynist for saying it? I'm at a loss to explain your hypocrisy. The difference between what you said and what I said is you gave a reason, I didn't. But, if I had given a reason, it wouldn't have been your reason. Men aren't running to churches with women pastors.

19. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most men aren’t running to church.
    Perhaps that’s why there is a desire for female pastors.
    They minister to a feminine flock.

Rob

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, this is unnecessary, uncalled for, and ungodly. What is "sounds like" other than it ticked you off and so you thought you would carelessly toss around such accusations.

For everyone else there are legitimate reasons for concern over this. My wife doesn't agree with it should we level the careless accusation of misogyny? Its not just men who disagree with woman pastors. Libbies ignore that fact.