1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Lowell Davey have axed John MacArthur?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by rockytopva, Dec 23, 2019.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. No yes or no response

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have supported the BBNRadio ministry for decades and I listen to the broadcast all the time. I also do not mind John MacArthur sermons and consider him a witty guy, even though I am not Calvinist. Noteworthy, though, is that BBN gave him the axe, explaining...

In December 1989, the Bible Broadcasting Network terminated MacArthur's Grace to You program. In explaining that step, BBN president Lowell Davey referred to MacArthur's teachings on the blood of Christ and "Lordship salvation." Davey called these teachings "confusing". In a letter dated January 15, 1990, Davey cited a "drift by Dr. MacArthur to a theological position that we could not adhere to" and said that MacArthur's sermon series on the theology of election "convinced us that the direction of 'Grace to You' was toward Hyper-Calvinism." MacArthur preaches salvation by election of God's sovereignty. However, the term "Hyper-Calvinism" is used by some to denote 5-point Calvinism or even any strong defense of Calvinism, - John F. MacArthur - Wikipedia

2. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I also, go along with John MacArthur in that....

MacArthur is a premillennialist and pre-tribulationist in regards to the timing of the Rapture and other end-time events, stating, "I'm committed to the fact that Jesus will come to set up a literal earthly kingdom and that He will come seven years before the kingdom, He will come prior to the tribulation." - John F. MacArthur - Wikipedia

3. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was a long time ago when MacArthur and Swindoll were fueding over Lordship salvation and Grace. Swindoll attempted to say MacArthur was teaching a salvation by works not grace because he contended that lordship meant you had to show your salvation via actions of submission. Swindoll contended that grace would result in submission. MacArthur thought Swindoll had a cheap grace theology.

At the time I stood with Swindoll. I was not yet grasping the Supremacy of God.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I honestly don't understand why Lordship Salvation is so controversial....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    The idea was that a person must claim Jesus as Lord before he could be saved. For people who believed the sinners prayer saved you, it smacked of works to be saved. MacArthur had to work hard to show why it wasn't works based.

6. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, that's why I don't understand the controversy. Apparently people have not read Romans 10:9

• Like Like x 1
  7. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I prefer to keep the methods of salvation very easy....

...The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the Word of Faith, which we preach. That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. - Romans 10:8-9

Over complicating doctrines of salvation can open doors to doubt, which does not have good results....

But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. - 2 Corinthians 11:3

I know people who will give a self-righteous smile and tell you something like they are not worthy, not understanding the consequences of such thinking.

8. Walpole

Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm amazed MacAruthur had any credibility left after his neo-Arian "Incarnational Sonship" debacle.

9. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are we talking about 1989? Is it something relevant to a recent issue? Not being snarky, just wondering.
    Macarthur is a High Calvinist, not a Hyper Calvinist. I agree with Macarthur on Lordship salvation even though I am not a Calvinist. The big debate at that time was Lordship Salvation vs "easy believerism". The C vs. A debate was not really raging at that time. My guess is the broadcast opposed Lordship Salvation but used Calvinism as an easy, far less controversial and alienating, issue to use to kick him off.

10. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because people dont want to submit to The Lord.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you have done a fine job with this post highlighting the argument in the 80s.