1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should men wear pants only?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gina B, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Well, glad you got a good laugh.

Can you point me to the scriptures that detail what a person should wear, because in my Bible I just can't seem to find the rules that you're speaking of. There's a lot on how a person should conduct themselves and there is a lot on how to treat other people, there's a lot on how to love God...but dress? Other than the word modest or shamefaced...I really don't see a great deal on what that really means, it could actually be interpreted a number of ways...and has been. If your Bible has actual "rules" in it, I would sure like to hear what these rules say or where to find them in the Bible. Mine is somewhat less than black and white on this subject.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

LOL Laurenda! Me too! I guess the 'thou shalt not wear sleeveless dresses' is in some version I've never seen!

Diane

3. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

You mean what's commonly referred to as a "wifebeater" shirt? :D (Spousal abuse is not funny...but calling a shirt that, well, it's tongue-in-cheek.) </font>[/QUOTE]Yes wifebeater shirts! That's what they're called now I learned recently from my son's generation - He's 30.

BTW My wife hates them.

4. MaryKay

MaryKay New Member

I think if a man chooses not to wear pants he should shave his legs! Those ole hairy legs just grose me out! :D And pleeeese learn to sit properly. [​IMG] MK

5. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly the way I feel about European Women!

6. newlady3203

newlady3203 New Member

A rule does not have to be a "commandment" to be a rule. And Yes, the Bible has rules and guidelines for everything.

Dress reveals things about the person. I realized that in this day, there is relatively little importance placed on clothes. However, that does not change the teaching of the Bible. I am also aware of the argument regarding I Samuel 16:7. From this statement some have erroneously concluded that God does not care how man (this includes women) dresses.

Dress may suggest whether a person is rich or poor (Jas. 2:2). Clothing can reveal sorrow (2 Sam. 3:31). Certain clothing can identify one's belonging to a particular group, such as a gang or lifestyle (Zeph. 1:8). A male or female can be announced by distinctive apparel (Deut. 22:5). Prisoners can be detected by their dress (Jere. 52:33). Certain clothing may reveal particular activity, such as having attended a wedding (Matt. 22:1). The quality of dress can reveal how well a mother has provided for her family (Prov. 31: 21,22). Clothing can also anounce a harlot (Prov. 7;10). You see, those who believe the Bible is silent relative to dress have not really considered what the Bible does say about clothing.

The matter of daily dress. Different scriptures govern the daily dress of a Christian. One primary scripture is 1 Peter 3:1-4. Peter taught, "Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold or of putting on of apparel" (vs. 3) It is obvious that Peter is not simply condemning the use of gold and certain hair arrangements. We know this because he continues to inclued "or of putting on of apparel." Peter's next statement suggest the meaning: "But let it be the hidden man of the heart..." 9vs. 4). In other words, we are not to place the primary emphasis on the outward, the dress, but on the inward, the "hidden man of the heart." In addition to focusing on priority, Peter also teaches that clothing is not to be gaudy, tawdry, or ostentatious (Rev. 17:4). Many Eastern women would spend much time and money to present themselves outwardly, but would have little or no concern regarding the real person, their spirits. We need to look into the mirror of God's word and adorn ourselves spiritually (Jas 1:25).

Dress in worship. We dress accordingly for different purposes and functions (Gen 41:14, Matt 22:11-13). Public worship should be no exception. The priests of old wore clothing that reflected the gravity and solemnity of the occasion (Ex 28:2, 1 Peter 2:9). 1 Timothy 2 beginning in verse eight seems to particularly address public worship. Paul addresses the attire of women thus: "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold or pearls, or costly aray..." (vs 9). The descriptive terms used are ery helpful in determining the teaching and requisites.

"Adorn" (kosmeo) means "primarily to arrange, to put in order." "Modest" (kosmios) means orderly, well-arranged, decent, modest." "Apparel" (katastole) suggests "to send or let down, to lower (kata, down, and stello, to send). "Shamfacedness" (aidos) is defined as "a soundness of mind, sound judgment." The composite description of the dress is the dress is to be put in order, well-arranged, decent and modest, dress is to be let down, there is to be a sense of shame to guide in our dress, and good, sound judgment to guide the choice of our dress.

Keep in mind that it appears that one reason God clothed Adam and Eve was to provide not only adequate clothing, but clothing that covered their bodies as opposed to the "aprons" they had made for themselves (Gen 3:7; 21), the "coats" or tunics God made evidently came down at least to their knees). Kep in mind also that God included Adam (some seem to think that proper dress only applies to the females). The specified attire for the priests was designed to cover their "nakedness" (Ex. 28:42). This God specified clothing covered their "thighs" (the exposing of the thighs was called nakedness).

Dress or the lack thereof on the part of Bethsheba played a major role in the temptation and fall of David (2 sam. 11:2,3). Jesus taught, "But I say unto you, that whosoever lokketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart" (Matt. 5:28). Seductive and revealing dress can certainly be conducive to such "adultery in the heart" and those so clad will also be held responsible.

In general, clothing that is not gaudy, appropriate for the occasion, distinquishes the genders, does not take priority over the spiritual development, shows a sense of sham and good judgment, is well arrange, and comes about the knee is the dress taught in the Bible.

Clothes do not make a person, but they often reveal the person.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We discussed this at length last week. God clothed Adam and Eve but only AFTER sin came into the world. The human body is not, in and of itself, sinful. It is the sin in us that causes us to see those bodies in a sinful way. God was not shocked at Adam and Eve's naked bodies. Until they became ashamed of those bodies and saw them in a sinful light, those bodies had no need for cover. It also took a blood sacrifice for God to clothe Adam and Eve. The first but not the last. [​IMG]

To clarify! I am NOT a nudist in any sense of the word but I think this is an important point.

Diane

8. MaryKay

MaryKay New Member

I think how or what clothing a person wears should be their personal choice.
    I have had fun joking around but I think most people especially after they have come to know the KING will dress and behave in a manner becoming a Christian. I don't believe all these things come instantanious , but in due time. [​IMG]

9. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

HEY!!! Do you think a man wear pant IN heaven right now???

That is a silly question, but good question!