1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should POTUS Pardon Muhammed Ali???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 8, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Were you a US Veteran?

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Did you deploy to a war zone and fight the enemy?

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before anyone gets ants in their pants about me posting this topic in the General Baptist Discussion Section, let me say that as political as this may be, it is more about forgiving, and this particular act of forgiveness is controversial enough to discuss not as political debaters, but brothers and sisters in Jesus and the moral as well as a spiritual reason to PARDON Muhammed Ali for being a draft dodger during the Viet Nam crisis!

After all, his coward-ess act got him a jail sentence, per the article which reads: "The boxer refused to be inducted into the U.S. Army in 1967 during the Vietnam War, claiming conscientious objector status, and was sentenced for five years in prison. He was never imprisoned while his case was under appeal and in 1971 the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the conviction."

This case, in my opinion, is one that had the President Pardoned him, would anger a great many servicemen and women who fought. Died. And live today with the mamed and mangled bodies left over from the Viet Nam boobie traps! I wouldn't want Ali pardoned any more than I'd want Trump to pardon Bo Bergdahl, the traitor and deserter!

However, as Christians, there are going to be some of you who believe I am wrong, and one, if not both men deserve to be forgiven and pardoned if the opportunity presented itself!

Muhammad Ali family lawyer responds to Trump: Thanks, but no pardon needed

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I understand the situation, Ali was more afraid of Elijah Muhammed than he was of the Federal Government. Remember Malcolm X.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Ali's conviction was overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1971, there is nothing to be pardoned for.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a disabled veteran in a wheelchair and a born again, washed in the blood of Jesus Christ.......heck no.
    Race has nothing to do with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should POTUS Pardon Muhammed Ali???

Hmm. It might push that needle just a little to the left on the scale of nonpartisan voters. Maybe worth a try.

6. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgiveness without repentance? Please share the scripture verse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ali was not a coward nor a traitor. He was a conscientious objector. As KenH pointed, his conviction was overturned by Supreme Court, so it has already been decided in his favor.

There has been a long history of debate within the church whether Christians should serve as soldiers and put themselves in a position of killing another person.

I believe that's why the status of conscientious objector was created in the first place. At least one reason anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should POTUS pardon him? NO!

Pardon him for WHAT?

He has no conviction on his record for which to be pardoned.

Besides that, he's DEAD.

Pardoning a dead person is like sending a gun to prison for murder!

Was anyone actually helped by the pardon of Jack Johnson? Yes, some lawyers who made a small fortune pushing the case.

9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a way that we, as a nation represented by the president, can recognize the injustice of the prosecution.

For instance, Joe Louis gave all of his purse for a fight of several hundred thousand dollars to a veterans charity. The IRS hounded him for much of the rest of his life to pay taxes and penalties on that sum. Why didn't they allow the gift?

I don't know if that has been addressed with a pardon, but I believe it should.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But he had no problem punching someone in the face to knock him down.......

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This zombie thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.