1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Puerto Rico be a state, or a sovereign nation?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by robycop3, Apr 7, 2021.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some, but not nearly all, Puerto Ricans want their land to be sovereign. !n 1954, four of them began shooting at random in the US Capitol in the name of freedom. But, could PR survive on its own? Not very likely, as much of its income is from tourism & pharmaceuticals.

If PR were made a state, the US would be taking on a huge welfare burden, thus, Congress resists granting it statehood, altho its people are considered US citizens for most purposes.

My personal belief is that at best, the status quo should be maintained. Why should we take on more expense when we have plenty of poor who need assistance in our own land?

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PR is "our" land, at least since we took it from Span after the S-A War. But I agree the status quo is the best deal going.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me too, robycop3. The leftists have lobbied 4 yrs that crime-ridden D C also needs to become No 51, & I'm sure that PR can use TX's fight for statehood back in the 1800's as a "Template" for their admission. Now some REALLY Left swingers are so adamant that, now that they've seemingly have (1) Pelosi as the 2nd in line; (2) K Harris as first in line; (3) J Biden AS POTUS, they want to pack the USSCrT with MORE left-swingers + make our elections nationalized & open to 16 YOs, I can hear A Hittler. J Stalin & Mao-Say Tongue as the trio captains for "Do as WE say, & forget about what WE DO!" movement! Can I get me a witness?

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DC is already ours! How higher an honor could it have than being the CAPITOL ? it's THEIR WON fault they're so crime-ridden. Get rid of the New-Age-Liberals & they could clean it up in a month !

5. Glerse

Glerse New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed, for the meantime they should maintain the status quo. There are more important things to give attention like the ongoing pandemic and the improvement of vaccines.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Statehood is fine - as long as they would make English the official language.