1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Schools require shots

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Salty, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    #1 Salty, Oct 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2007
  2. kmdiva

kmdiva New Member

Granted there may be increased cases of disease in states where opting out of vaccinations is easy, but what about the states where vaccinations are more prevalent, let's look at the autism rates. I wish there was a conclusive study on this.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

Good reason for home schooling. If the kids want to go to public high school they will be older and the shots easier to tolerate.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Short answer to the question in the OP...YES!

It's a matter of public health. If a parent objects, they can homeschool.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It should be up to the family. If the other students are vaccinated, then they have nothing to worry about.

6. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

I am 48 years old and I had my shots before I went to school. My children had theirs. Is there a problem with the shots? Why would you not want them? I guess my answer is I do not have a problem with them. Should I ?

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yes,

How do you think they overcome Polio?

I think for the good of all of us that shots should be required. When we do not protect our kids we are putting others in harm's way.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Moondg - The issue is that there are children who are having severe reactions to shots and there is a theory (not proven to be true OR false) that some of the ingredients in some innoculations is causing autism in children.

I know that my youngest daughter has had some severe reaction to the shots - so we've held off on some, chosen not to do others and only did one at a time - on our time schedule. She just had her DPaT booster and she ended up with a bruise on her arm that went from shoulder to elbow and her arm swelled up to twice the size it should normally be - and it was rock hard with what looked like a ping pong ball at the injection site. Since she reacts like that to injections (not all of them but some of them - the polio she had NO reaction to), I am very selective and spread them out atleast 2 months apart (she had her shot at the beginning of September and her arm is now normal sized but still with the lump at the site and the skin is now peeling.

Now, my child has a MILD reaction - there are other children who have more major reactions - 105+ fevers, convultions, non-stop crying for 3+ hours (these are only considered moderate problems). If my child has this kind of reaction - or has an allergy to egg (a component in some of the shots), then I'd not do the shot. I agree that it's important to try to erradicate these diseases but I'm not going to do it at the expense of my child.

Schools do not have the right to demand my child's medical care. I'm sorry but it's not their place. If there is going to be damage to other children, then possibly, but it's not going to cause a problem if my child does not have the chicken pox vaccine - unless a child has had the vaccine and looses immunity after 10 years then gets it when they are older......

9. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

I agree that it's important to try to erradicate these diseases but I'm not going to do it at the expense of my child.

I would not do it at the expense of my child either. You would think if a child had a reaction to something that the school would wave the shot. If a doctor said they could not take it. I guess the problem is we do not know what our children are allergic to until they have a reaction.

10. Magnetic Poles

Thimerisol in vaccines appear to be safe. CLICK HERE

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's one study - and one study of only 1000 children. That's not a significant sized study.

12. Magnetic Poles

Granted, but there are others. Obviously, the jury is still out on this. But it is foolish not to vaccinate, give the odds of a disease causing damage. You can also get thimerisol-free vaccines.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think what is foolish is to just blindly vaccinate - and to inject a substance into a newborn child to "stimulate" their immune response when you are not to take a baby out into the public because their immune system is not mature enough yet (both facts). It's also foolish to innoculate a child who has had a clear harsh response to the shots. Thimerisol and autism is only ONE of the problems with innoculations. When my child gets that kind of response from a shot (that I posted back a few posts), why wouldn't I be concerned? It would be foolish if I were not. Did you know that MANY doctors will give 5-6 innoculations at a time and if the parent questions it, they're looked at as foolish and scared of nothing? WHY would I give a 4 month old 5-6 shots at one time?? Even my old pediatrician said that God gave a child only 2 thighs - why give them more than 2 shots? I went one step further and only did one at a time. Was it a pain in the neck to bring my child to the doctor for the extra visits for shots? Sure - but no one said having a child would be easy. I do one shot at a time and watch carefully for responses.

What also bothers me with the shots is that a child is to have 24 shots by 2 years of age (and the guidelines say that they can get up to 5 at one time). In the mid-80's, it was only 5 shots. What does this do to a child's immune system? In addition, I don't feel that the new shots have enough studies done on them before they're put out to know if they're going to be safe or not. There have been many cases of the vaccines NOT being good and even one was pulled from the market.

I'm going to take the cautious route. My child might not be fully vaccinated by 2 but they are also going to be safe and healthy as they get the shots that are important rather than overwhelming an immature immune system.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

I get worried because of the "no vaccination" kooks out there. I know that most of you aren't in this camp, but threads like this make'em pop up like mushrooms after a bad rain.

In my mothers family, 1 uncle died of diptheria, and 2 cousins had polio 1930's-1950's.

Let's not go back to that, folks...

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I understand but what about a child who will be permanently disabled from a shot? The majority of the parents who choose not to vaccinate do not do so lightly. And, again, I think that just blindly giving your child many injections of diseases at one time or in a very short period of time is being very irresponsible.

16. Magnetic Poles

While others think it irresponsible to leave a child defenseless to the ravages of disease. How do you think we eradicated smallpox and polio?

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OH - I totally agree that vaccines can be a good thing - and have helped to decrease the incidences of diseases (we have not eradicated polio - there was actually recently a resurgence of it). MY issue is with blindly giving your child a ton of vaccines at a very young age at one time. As I said, my kids are legally fully vaxed (except for chicken pox), but it took me til almost 5 years old to do it. My 4 year old just had that DTaP vaccine a month ago.

I also am very concerned about the speed with which vaccines get to market without significant research done on it. The new HPV vaccine is being marketed to young girls - when only 5000 young girls were tested with it. The chicken pox vaccine is proving to lose it's effectiveness after 10 years, so now we're going to have a population of young people who are going to have greater complications because they didn't get their full immunity by having the disease and instead get the disease as teens and 20 year olds.

I'd love to see solid third party research done on these vaccines before they are put out. I think there are more issues with some of them than what is being published to the general public (you need to search out information). BUT, I thank God that He has given us the ability to manipulate diseases to be able to make vaccines to help rid us of some terrible diseases.

18. kubel

kubel New Member

If I were against it, it would be all the more reason to homeschool. I'm not sure I can say for certain that I'm for or against it. On one hand, you have the personal rights of people who don't want to be vaccinated (for whatever reason), and on the other hand, you have the overall public health to worry about.