1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should she tell the principal

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mrs. Salty is a part-time substitute teacher.

Today she was at a hight school and filled in for the in-school detention class. Yes, many of these kids are a problem.

The teacher has a list of rules including, no cell phone, no I-pods, no doodling/drawing. It is not a social hour. You are expected to do your home work. If you have none, we will find some academic work for you. Students are not permitted to be in the hall way during change of classes.

Students not in the class are not allowed to visit.

The kids told Mrs. Salty that the regular teacher does not enforce the rules that much.

Well, during the day, Mrs. Salty told a couple kids to put their cell phones way, they refused. One student had the opportunity to finish a lesson plan and received extra credit if he finished the assignment that day. One girl left to use the bathroom without permission (btw, she is pregnant)
    One student was drawing, talking, and using his cell phone. So Mrs. Salty sent him to the principals office. He returned with no consequences.

Mrs. Salty called the principal office so he would come and give some "male enforcement" The secretary said he was with another student, and never called back or came to the class.

Should Mrs. Salty accept that class again?
    Should Mrs. Salty talk to the Principal and / or teacher about the lack of discipline?

Note she only teaches there maybe 3 or 4 times a month

Salty

PS, a prayer wouldnt hurt either

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Pragmatically, especially during this depression, she should go with the flow AND look for another school at which she could teach if the money is needed. Life is to short to spend it shoveling sand against the tide unless one enjoys the shoveling and then the question might not be asked.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I were her, I wouldn't take that particular class again. It's impossible to teach/work in a school and expect to take satisfaction in your work when rules aren't enforced and there are no consequences for bad behavior. I've been there, done that, and it ain't worth the T-shirt!

There's enough jobs out there for subs without putting up with that, surely. If not, maybe she could be a private tutor?