1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should we partner with unbeleivers in Ministry Work??!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Havensdad, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

No, not a prayer march. But there would be some situations where some level of partnership would be unavoidable...politics, for example.

You are making an imaginary separation that isn't there. "Social issues" ARE doctrinal. I also think you misunderstand; I have no problem with other believers. I have a problem partnering w/ catholics, mormons, and others who are not actually in the Christian faith. You can partner w/ Presbyterians or Non-denoms all day long...

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if the catholics were saved?

Do understand your point about mixing with denominations/groups that teach and preach another gospel. but can we still "do business: with individuals saved in those churches/groups?

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Um, "saved" Catholics?? No.

Since Catholics and Mormons deny the Biblical gospel, and reject the grace of Christ for a system of merits, I would say even on the off-chance that their were a few saved lay people in their ranks, that were ignorant enough of their cult's teachings to remain, they are nevertheless walking in disobedience and are "contrary to the truth" and thus, should be avoided as per 1 Corinthians 5.

However, I am doubtful of any "saved" individuals among the ranks of the Catholic church. Faith is based on knowledge, and a wrong knowledge= a non-saving faith.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

This is probably one of the reasons the church has such a bad reputation. I don't believe we should partner with that which is against Christ PERIOD. Other than partnering with groups that teach false doctrine, this is perhaps the largest area in which the church ruins its witness.

I think we try to make exceptions for politics because we feel we have to sometimes choose between the lesser of two evils if we're gonna be a part of the process.

But that's exactly the type of compromise the church does not need to be known for.

Stand on God's word and preach the Gospel. If none of the candidates do then none of them should get the Christian's support, IMO.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

if they are going to remain under the banner of Catholic while attempting to partner with you, then absolutely not. The Catholic Church is known for doing and believing certain things. To keep from authoring confusion about what we teach and believe we are to NOT partner with them.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Absolutely. I believe you misunderstand me.

Consider for a moment a really good, God-fearing candidate comes up for election. You say, "Wow, that guy is GREAT! I am going to pass out some buttons, and encourage others to vote for him."

All well and good, except a lot of the OTHER people who are supporting him, and campaigning for him are not all of the same character. There are catholics, mormons, and atheists, who like the candidate for a variety of reasons... so in some sense you are "partnering" with them.

That's what I was referring to...I agree with your sentiment above.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying it would be wrong to pass out buttons or bumper stickers for Rick Santorum ?

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I could not in good conscience support or vote for Rick Santorum. However, this is not the right thread for a political discussion.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where is ministry in that? It is speaking of being yoked...like two oxen going down the same path...spiritually. if you do yoke with an unbeliever, they can be the one to steer you. Irrelevant to the op.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Another fallacy from the video, all ministry must be accompanied with the Gospel. Where do we find that concept in the Bible?

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then let's not make it into a political thread. If there were a Catholic candidate for President whose policy positions lined up with yours, esp. on abortion, gay rights, stem cell research, euthanasia, etc. would it be "partnering with unbelievers in ministry" to work on his campaign?

12. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

What on earth? You need to read the text again. Not even you can be that obtuse.

13. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I would not do so.

14. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The example of every single bit of ministry in the New Testament. That's all.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ok, just read it again. Now would you care to show where the portion you added to that passage? Using your narrow interpretation, any believer who earns a living working with and for unbelievers is in sin, as they are 'partnering' with them in common goals. Surely you cannot be that obtuse...baldy :D

#75 webdog, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013
  16. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Working for an unbeliever to make a living, is not "partnering." The clear context of the text is ministry work.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Got it, so nowhere in particular, you just wildly brush as you see fit.

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    V
    Working for an unbeliever is partnering with them on economics, not ministry. I don't see it as being unequally yoked per the context of righteousness vs. lawlessness or darkness vs. light.

#78 InTheLight, Sep 23, 2013
  19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sure it is. The common goal is to make the company profitable so in turn you reap the benefits. ALL employment is a partnership! You have just reduced and defined the definition to your liking.

#79 webdog, Sep 23, 2013
  20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

If that's how you want to interpret it. I cannot prove a negative. You are more than welcome to give me an example of ministry work in the New Testament that is completely separate from the Gospel....

I won't hold my breath.