1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should we tithe or give?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Soulman, Feb 19, 2005.

1. SoloZealot

SoloZealot New Member

One should be concerned about making critical errors, as we will one day reap what we sow (Galatians 6:7).

I cannot help but to comment on the original post.

Firstly, there were things that Jesus did do away with from the Old Testament, for example Matthew 5:39. If someone takes our coat, we shouldn't resist if they take our cloak also (Luke 6:29). Jesus was talking about the OLD TESTAMENT here, and REWRITING it for WHO? Jews? I don't think so.

Secondly, I Peter 1 verses 15 and 16 are interesting. "But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy." What's my point? It's odd how Peter quotes the OLD TESTAMENT THAT WAS FOR ISRAEL, and APPLYING it to Gentiles. You can say that verse 1 of I Peter were for the strangers (Jews) scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, etc. That's true, but you didn't read the next chapter verse 10 "Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy." This means that it's for Gentiles.

As for the Israelites and tithing. Who gave the increase? Who made the FRUIT that grew (as it really was that they were tithing)? Didn't GOD do it? So who was responsible? The Israelites of course (says foolish man)! No, It was from GOD.

Why then did GOD ask for some of it back? I could have a million answers to that, but I'll give you one for time's sake. To ACKNOWLEDGE that God GREW the fruit in the FIRST PLACE. I think this is NOT UNLIKE to our finances.

Of course, God gave a gift too. His SON. A tenth part? NO 100% Blood and all!

Conclusion.

Jesus personally dealt with many parts of the Old Testament law. We have the New Testament--saved by grace. We also have GUIDELINES, that Jesus gave (a modified CURRENT DATE Old Testament Law).

Jesus (Matt 4:4), Paul (Galatians 3:10!!), Peter (I Peter 1:16) etc... all went back to the OLD TESTAMENT LAW.

GOD gives the increase, one that does not give as being one that is thankful, is one that may not thankful at all.

God gave a gift, HIS SON. That was all he had to give that was perfect enough to take away sin from those that desire it. Doesn't even the sacrifice of GOD HIMSELF teach us something about giving?

I leave you with these thoughts.
    Hooroo

2. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:confused: :rolleyes: HUH?????? :rolleyes: I can thankfully say that one of the advantages to going to a good Bible-Believing Baptist church is that it helps me get "rooted and grounded" in the truth.
    Solo...even those of us in here that don't believe in Old Testament "storehouse"tithing for the New Testament church DO believe in GIVING...and I daresay we believe that God OWNS it ALL...100%.By the way..if I understand the rules of the board correctly,this is a "Baptist only" section of the board.Welcome to the BB but I think you need to be posting down in the non-denom section.It's "down under" ;) this section... :D [​IMG]

Greg Sr.(sorry moderator..I just couldn't resist)

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

AMEN!

Too Bad that doesn't apply to teaching the Tithe ... ;o)

Make your checks out to me and my address is ...

:cool:

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

More seriously Deuteronomy chapter 14 is seldom explained ... quoted often ...

5. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Quoted by DHK: It is also repulsive that you should call a doctrine that many Godly people on this board believe in and practice "heresy." To infer that so many are heretics is not wise.

I am not calling people that tithe heretics.
    I am calling those that strong arm people into giving in a way that isn't even in the bible heretics and they ARE teaching heresy.

Quoted by DHK: Abraham tithed to Melchizedek (a Christophany), which was pre-law.

Abraham tithed on the spoils of war. He gave the rest to the king and kept nothing for himself. He didn't tithe on his personal substance or his money. There is no where in the bible that even suggests that he ever tithed again.

Quote:Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
    Christ never condemned tithing, he encouraged it. "This ought you to have done." Never did he put an end to tithing.

First of all brother, while Christ walked the earth the law was in effect. Tithing was still the rule as long as the temple was in operation. And look at what they tithed.( mint and anise and cummin) Not money.When Christ said: these ought ye to have done, he was speaking of judgment, mercy, and faith.

Quoted: Christ never condemned tithing, he encouraged it. "This ought you to have done." Never did he put an end to tithing.

This was totally taken out of context as Christ NEVER encouraged tithing a mans wages. Yes He did put an end to tithing when He said "It is finished."

Quoted: If the excuse is given that this is during the law, because he is speaking to a Pharisee, or because it is before the cross, then by the same logic were the disciples of Christ really saved because Christ hadn't died yet? Were they just Old Testament saints?

The old testament saints were saved and preserved in a place called paradise until Christ finished His work on the cross. They trusted in the shed blood as we do. Of course they were as saved as you or I.

Quoted: John the Baptist was the last of the Old Testament prophets. The law ended with him. Thus tithing was before the law, during the law, and after the law. From that a reasonable argument can be made for tithing today.

There is no evidence or even suggestion that tithing carried to the New Testament. Your reasonable argument for tothing today doesn't hold water.

Scarlett, I would not want to be responsible for hurting the spirit of giving that you have. I am not saying that God won't bless you richly as a result of your selfless giving. That doesn't change the fact that tithing isn't biblical and a preacher promising you a blessing if you tithe isn't either.

6. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Once again I only started this thread because I have seen people hurt (myself included) by the law of tithing.

Giving is a joy! When I have a hundred bucks to put in the plate I do! When I have a hundred bucks and see a brother layed off from work and his family is hurting I can give him 50.00 and the rest to my church and not feel as though I deprived my church.

The act of giving is a gift. The blessed grace to beable to ues the money where God leads is also a gift.

The man of God should be supported and the building expenses paid for. Giving the new testament way is where the real blessings come There is liberty in Christ!

7. Gregory Perry Sr.

[​IMG] [​IMG] AMEN Soulman....Great post!!!!

Greg Sr. [​IMG]

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I believe in tithing as practiced by the vast majority of churches I have been a part of.
    That being said; I think the point is lost. It is NOT about 10% or 5% or 100%. I think God is pleased with a cheerful giver whether you call it tithe or just plain givng. It does not matter one whit what you call it or HOW you come to excercise the call of God to give. Jesus said, It is more blessed to give than receive." So...just do it.
    I would like to toss one more "wrench in the gears" of this discussion.
    Whether one is giving 10% or just giving as the Lord leads, I would ask this: Is your giving sacrificial or is it just as you are able? I would submit that it is not sacrificial unless it hurts. So...if you do not have it to give but give anyway, Jesus is very pleased with that. See; the poor widow woman and her two mites. :D
    For they who would decry tithing because it cost them something I would say they have forgotten the widow woman. ;)
    Lu 21:3
    And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all:
    Lu 21:4
    For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had.

In HIS service;
    Jim

9. MTA

MTA New Member

Gen 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

Abram was not commanded to give a tenth of his spoils, but he was moved to do so because of his recognition of Melchizedek as the priest of the most high God. In effect, his gift, the tithe he offered, was given freely and cheerfully.

The law of the tithe was given to Israel at a time when the people were without a sense of obligation and that was the purpose of establishing the law.

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
    Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

I realize I have used these verses somewhat out of context, but the principle in these verses apply to tithing and giving freely to support the ministry through the church. There is no longer a direct commandment today for a person to tithe, but we are instructed to give freely as the Lord has blessed us.

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Some distinguish their obligation and their offering separately using the tithe as their minimum obligation. This approach is fine and even scriptural. However it is the personal recognition of the obligation to render support that makes it scriptural, not the 10 percent minimum. If 10% is what you are comfortable with, that's fine. If it is too comfortable, you might want to increase it, but that is between you and the Lord. Some use the distinction for budgetary purposes and that's okay too. We just need to understand that God measures giving by our heart, not the size of the check we put into the offering plate. If our hearts are right, the plate will be adequate for the purposes God will use it for.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

we SHOULD tithe

and we SHOULD give ... I think that answers the original question ...

and we should PRACTICE the tithe ...

11. Soulman

Soulman New Member

MTA, I agree with you. I just have a problem with preachers that beat the flock over the head with it. Stealing from God etc.

We should give as sacrificially as we can. Just teach it right!

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

mmm ...

What is the right teaching of the tithe?

13. MTA

MTA New Member

Soulman: I also cringe when I hear preachers go down that road. Technically, most of what I hear them say would be fine, even the stealing from God portions, if they just would not attempt to mandate the 10%. It is all about each individual child of God recognizing and embracing their responsibility to financially support the ministry.

14. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder...

For those who would say that Jesus put an end to tithing by when He said "It is finished". Do you also believe he put an end to the 10 commandments? The other good, moral aspects of the law? Don't get me wrong, I am not a legalist. We are saved by grace and that is that. But why is that grace necessary? Because we are incapable of following the law, not that God's law is bad in any way or that it isn't pleasing to God to follow it as one is able.

Jesus even summed up the law in 2 commandments. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and spirit, and love your neighbor as yourself. Would anyone argue that when Jesus said "It is finished" it invalidated any need to follow these commandments?

The Old Testament is there for a reason. The New Testament clarifies and completes the old, but doesn't invalidate it.

15. Gregory Perry Sr.

:rolleyes: As per Soulmans original post on tithing as written by Tim Morton (who I agree with),the "tithe" preached and taught in most Baptist churches TODAY is NOT scriptural,Biblical,Old Testament tithing.The following link is Tim Mortons website if any of you want to check it out for yourselves.You'll find his "offering" [​IMG] on "tithing" under the "Taboo Topics" section of his website(along with a lot of other "interesting" stuff. [​IMG]

http://members.citynet.net/morton/

Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

GPS, thanks!

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

GPS

At least he has read the passages ... I think he adds the passages differently than I read them.

But, I personally do not think I can address an issue that I have not read God's Word on ...

IMHO, I am not always correct in my interpretation ... but, I try

18. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Quoted by Dave: For those who would say that Jesus put an end to tithing by when He said "It is finished". Do you also believe he put an end to the 10 commandments?

No Dave. I don't think that Jesus put an end to the 10 commandments but He never instituted through the law or by grace the tithe as it is done in churches today.

The way the tithe is done today is you put 10% of your earnings in the plate.(minimally) You give this entire 10% to the church to be kept in the church.(throw back from O.T. storehouse tithing) Some preachers try to stretch their dollars by telling you to tithe on the gross and not the net of your income. Offerings are then added for additional needs. Building funds, Faith promise(missions), big days, etc.

I don't have a problem if someone decides they would like to give in this fashion. Just don't call it biblical! Even if biblical tithing were to be carried into the N.T., the way in which it is done today is still unbiblical.

No one (even God) gave any man or organization the right to take 10% of any mans income. It is a ploy used by some churches to insure cash flow, urging believers to be faithful while church leadership refuse to trust God.

I also believe that churches know exactly what they are doing. Those that don't aught to study it out because once looked into it is fairly simple.

If you must tithe, have a potluck and invite the indigent so that all may be fed.

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Soulman

I wasn't following you until now. It sounds like you have studyied the Biblical tithe.

20. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist