1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shuttle home

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 17, 2006.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Just watched it land online (amazing in itself ;))

After all these years and all these problems I still am amazed whenever I see a shuttle land. Good work crew and support crew!!

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

It is an exciting event.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I grew up in Huntsville and remember the very first earth shaking tests of the Saturn V booster.

Visited the Alabama Space and Rocket Centre back in May while we were in Alabama and I am still enthralled by space exploration.

If NASA were to phone me and say, "Roger, we are looking for a middle aged, average, slighty out of shape man to fly on the shuttle without training and test the effects," I would say "YES" before they knew what hit them.

Always been a dream - I had hoped by now space would be a little nearer :(.

#3 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2006
  4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

It does seem odd that space isn't closer now doesn't it. Maybe I've watched too much star trek over the years, but I thought more than a few people would be living in space by now.

I spent my MS and HS years in Houston, Roger. My dad was a communications tech stationed at NASA. He never talked about it, but I have found documents after he died that showed he worked with Apollo 11 & 13 at least.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Well you can certainly understand my feelings about the space programme.

I realise that there are plenty of problems and that I will probably be lambasted for my "romantic" view of man in space. In 1969 I figured we would have at least lunar colonies by now and that Mars would be in the process of being explored. I thought for sure that by the time I was 50 I would surely be able to visit space.

Don't be upset with me folks, just the melancholy musings of a middle-aged guy who will never get to realise a childish dream.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yes indeed! I hope to see Atlantis and Endeavour fly soon. One schedule I found online said Atlantis is set to be the next shuttle up, Endeavour is set to fly in June. The NASA schedule web-site has STS-115 (Atlantis) set to fly on August 28.

Great Work! :thumbs:

7. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Within 5-10 years space will be open to private citizens. In 2004 the first all private funded spacecraft was launched by Scaled Composites and now they are working on a commerical version with Richard Branson,the British billionare.

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/index.htm

http://www.scaled.com/news/2005-12-14_virgin_new_mexico_spaceport.html

8. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Don't give up on your dream. It still may come true! Please see my previous post.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I'm a missionary pastor - not a millionaire :).

Still - who knows!

10. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

The purpose of the commerical spaceraft is to promote space tourism. The goal is to have the flight in the $5,000-$10,000 range. It may eventaully drop down to $1,000 per flight.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)