1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sin has thoroughly diseased us

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KenH, Nov 7, 2021.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "So sin has thoroughly diseased us, poisoned our very blood. It has diseased our understanding, so as to disable it from receiving the truth; it has diseased our conscience, so as to make it dull and heavy, and undiscerning of right and wrong; it has diseased our imagination, polluting it with every idle, foolish, and licentious fancy; it has diseased our memory, making it swift to retain what is evil, slow to retain what is good; it has diseased our affections, perverting them from all that is heavenly and holy, and fixing them on all that is earthly and vile." - J. C. Philpot

#1 KenH, Nov 7, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think even the best of us are like Jesus said of the Pharisees. "Graves that appear not". I think of Facebook and other social media resources as the Pharisee's playground. My how good we look when marketing ourselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet some on here as long as I have been on here think Total Depravity is some kind of biblical joke... There in no spark in man unless God puts the spark there... Unless God changes the man, he can not come to God... Unless he is born of God, by the Holy Spirit alone, he doesn't belong to him... As scripture states, he is none of his... He can not show LOVE, unless he is shown LOVE by God who IS LOVE, to God and his fellow creatures... A sinner is a sinner until he is a saved one and he didn't change himself... Brother Glen:)

Btw... Ken, I'll dive more into Philpot later

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    J.C. Philpot wrote a lot of very good stuff which is well worth reading, but unfortunately he tended towards Hyper-calvinism. He was aligned with the Gospel Standard Baptists who deny that the Gospel is to be preached to all

Article XXVI of the Gospel Standard articles: "We deny duty faith and duty repentance – these terms suggesting that it is every man’s duty spiritually and savingly to repent and believe. We deny also that there is any capability in man by nature to any spiritual good whatever. So that we reject the doctrine that man in a state of nature should be exhorted to believe in or turn to God."

Article XXXIII of the Gospel Standard articles: "Therefore, that for ministers in the present day to address unconverted persons, or indiscriminately all in a mixed congregation, calling upon them to savingly repent, believe, and receive Christ, or perform any other acts dependent upon the new creative power of the Holy Ghost, is, on the one hand, to imply creature power, and on the other, to deny the doctrine of special redemption."

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Ken... Philpot is 100% Christ and speaks my language... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this true? I have never heard of these articles but they help explain a lot of things that have been confusing me with some of the responses on this site. Thanks for posting.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the point that is being made, which is true, is that an unregenerate person cannot do anything to save himself, thus throwing out the typical free-will teaching that people should be exhorted to do this or that, by their own unregenerated nature, and be saved - such as walk the aisle, or say the sinner's prayer, or be baptized, or give your heart to Jesus, or any such thing, as salvation is of the Lord(as Jonah stated in the belly of the fish), not man. The gospel is all about Christ and His finished work on behalf of His sheep, His elect, His chosen ones. What should be preached is Christ as The Lord Our Righteousness and, if that seed lands in good soil, then God will say, "Live", and that soul will be regenerated and come forth from its cold spiritual grave like Lazarus coming forth from the tomb.

Ezekiel 16:6 “And when I passed by you and saw you struggling in your own blood, I said to you in your blood, ‘Live!’ Yes, I said to you in your blood, ‘Live!’"

And AFTER regeneration, THEN the soul responds in faith, repentance, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I think the Holy Spirit can begin to act on people in small increments, slowly and that sometimes Calvinists insist in a no work at all or a light switch coming on. And it has to be one or another. I believe there can be a definite period of time where the Holy Spirit is working on someone - they are not saved but they are beginning to move in that direction. Do you guys believe that it has to be total depravity, no interest in God, then regeneration, instant complete salvation and then we can talk about repentance and belief?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I saw it in my own life over about a thirty year period in which God moved to prepare the ground so that the soil would be ready when He would show me Christ as The Lord Our Righteousness and I finally gave up on the idea that I need to do this or that to be saved. I had lip service but I had no spiritual life until then. Now I know that salvation is 100% of the Lord and 100% maintained by Him: I had nothing and will never have anything to do with it "for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." Philippians 2:13

"...a reason and argument for humility and meekness, and against pride and vain glory, since all we have, and do, is from God; and also points out the spring, principle, and foundation of all good works; namely, the grace of God wrought in the heart, which is an internal work, and purely the work of God: by this men become the workmanship of God, created unto good works, Eph 2:10, and are new men, and fitted for the performance of acts of righteousness, and true holiness; and this grace, which God works in them, is wrought in a powerful and efficacious manner, so as not to be frustrated and made void." - John Gill, Exposition of the Old and New Testaments

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very correct “ the man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.” (1 Corinthians 2:14)

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can only speak for myself….yes it was immediate, an immediate understanding that I’d not realized my own selfishness, my own misunderstanding of God's plan for salvation and suddenly I was ashamed and foolish (stupid) that I had missed it. You also are happy that at last the Lord had shown grace & mercy to such a dumb snip sinner and in doing so had made me whole. There is then profound gratefulness along with a unique understanding of God's plan for your life. There is one thing more, I grew a conscience. I’d liken it to a child’s learning something… it floors you that you never put two & two together… it’s like when my uncle first taught me to swing through when you make contact with your bat and thus hit the ball farther and higher, not just a grounder but a home run. that’s a wow moment and one you never forget!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just got off the phone yesterday with a pastor that indicated I should go to Facebook to hear his sermons…well I don’t do Facebook.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin the Fullerite bashing the Gillites.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Everyone to the right of me is hyper". Tom Butler

16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Yawn] I limit the term Hyper-Calvinist to those who do not urge folk to come to Christ lest one of the non-elect should slip in while God isn't looking.
    If the cap fits, wear it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Shepherd searches(comes) for the sheep(Luke 15:4-7), not the other way around.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 11:28; John 5:40; 6:37. Although someone's coming to Christ is always the result of God's gracious drawing. John 6:44.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the perfect post to direct you all to a book I just read.. A Shepherd Looks At Psalm 23 by W. Philip Keller a book written in 1970... My wife used it in her church ladies prayer group and suggest I read it... I did!... Cost around $7.00 paperback... Just a heads up... Learned a lot about sheep and the shepherd... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  20. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God protected me many times as an unbeliever now that I look back on my life. Even my worst sins became bulwarks against repeating them. So I can see His hand over me from my earliest memories. When He sent His Spirit into my heart when religion was the least concern, I knew who it was and believed in Him (Christ) because of that experience. The experience remains and spawns faith in my heart. I think much of the debate is between those who experience salvation and those who hope to, assuming their arm of the flesh approach to the gospel will one day pan out.

• Informative Informative x 1