1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mima, Apr 2, 2006.

1. mima

mima New Member

Is there a sin called tolerance?
    Can tolerance be called a sin? Comments, ideas.

2. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Sins of Omission may fit into this catagory

Sins of omission and sins of comission are both sins, but there are good reasons why a distinction is drawn between the two. Sins of omission are a deliberate act of the will, a conscious decision to commit a wrong, sins of omission are much more murky, and usually involve significant elements of denial, ignorance, and self selected comfortability a foreshortening of one's moral vision so as to see a fairly narrow range of personal responsibility when it comes to moral action. A person can easily convince himself, with only a minimum of bad faith, that he has done no wrong in many a sin of omission. He can not do so in a sin of comission.

3. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Whoops forgot the C on Comission

4. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Tolerance requires an identifiable object. For example, I might tolerate my son exceeding the speed limit on the freeway while I'm riding shotgun. Is that a sin? I might tolerate my daughter living with a man she is not married to. In the first case I can order my son to slow down. In the second case I have no authority; I can only tell my daughter that she is living in sin. Thereafter, I 'tolerate' the arrangement, since I can do nothing about it. Is my tolerance a sin in that case? Before a judgment can be made, each incident of tolerance must be measured against its object. How about tolerance of tolerance? Whoa! Is that a sin? :)

5. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Very good genesis12. I think it would be sin though to ignore a misjustice being done in front of you and you not doing anything about it. There was a story or experiment on Primetime the other day. It took place in NY where a man and woman were fighting and the man was being rough and abusive to the girl and only a few people (women of course) did anything to try and stop it. I think it would be considered sin not to. Sin of OMISSION

6. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

James 4:17 Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Not doing the right thing is sin. The person who is walking in the Spirit will know what is sin.

Romans 8:5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Tolerance is something that increases our faith but to turn it around, I think genesis12 actually proved we could by having tolerance of the TV sets in our house or even these computers when we start searching and run into some of the lewd things on here but we continue to do so. As a matter of fact I sometimes really worry about tolerating TVs.

8. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If you have to post to be on winning side then I guess not, but even though I never went to that post, I think it fits here perfectly. [​IMG]

10. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

No i don't post to be on the winning side. it was suspicious that you were trying to keep the subject going. how could one not have noticed the thread, nearly 200 post made on it since this weekend.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am sorry but I didn't notice the post or if I did at the time I was more interested in another one. I honestly did not know there was a post about TVs and certainly did not try to keep it going but if it bothers you I am terrible sorry I upset you.

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Brother Bob,

I appreciate your comments here. Maybe as American Christians we've learned to tolerate too many things. Using the TV as an example we all say "well, it depends on what you actually watch..." but I think we allow alot more to pass in front of our eyes than even we ourselves realize.

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

bapmom;
    One of our preachers used for a sermon once that you could sit a whiskey bottle in the window of the church and at first everyone would raise a fuss but after enough time, no one would even notice. Makes a lot of sense and I think maybe we have fell into that category somewhat.

14. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Maybe the reason no body notices after awhile is because the whiskey bottle is just sitting there not doing any harm. now if the bottle was full and within a week it was empty, you all might be looking at the pastor differently. [​IMG]

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If I came to your house, which is very doubtful, and saw whiskey bottles sitting everywhere I think it would draw my attention, (empty or not).

16. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

And then you would know that your pastor really is Presbyterian in Baptist clothing. [​IMG]

17. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I agree, but you will not find alcohol in my house, except cooking wine. I know cooking wine is a sin for you. :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm more worried about the whiskey bottles sitting in your church window.

"Those who live in glass houses (or whiskey bottles in their window sills) should not throw stones."

18. bapmom

bapmom New Member

oh brother :rolleyes: be nice Frenchy.

I agree Brother Bob. We do overlook many things when we become used to them. We've grown accustomed to seeing all sorts of things in this sinful world, and it is growing more and more difficult to not become desensitized to them. It's that old adage about "where the world was 50 years ago is where the church is today."

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Frenchy;

You do err again Frenchy. You take a suppositon and try to twist it to a reality. shame

20. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

I didn't write that BB get your source right.