1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sinful/impure thoughts during prayer

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Abd al-masih, May 15, 2020.

1. Abd al-masih

Abd al-masih New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes when I am praying, I feel like there are some intrusive sinful/impure thoughts pops up in my mind. Would the Lord ignore my prayer if I have these thoughts during prayer? I remember in Psalm 66:18 it said
    "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me".

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why God gave us the promise in 1 John 1:8-9; 1 John 2:1-2. 1 John 5:13-15.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cast them out of your mind, repent of them briefly to God, and carry on with your prayers.
    I read recently of a preacher who was often very short-tempered with people. An older Christian advised him, when tempted in this way, to offer up the arrow prayer, "Your sweetness, Lord!"
    I think we can open this out a bit. How about "Your purity, Lord!" when attacked by impure thoughts? "Your kindness, Lord!" when tempted to be dismissive or sarcastic? Your courage, Lord!" when intimidated by cynics or scoffers? And so on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best thing to do about intrusive thoughts is to just let them pass through one ear and out the other, concentrating on your prayers. You can whisper a little, "Help/forgive me, Lord Jesus" if you want to. Don't let that phrase become a meaningless mantra, however. But simply move on.

The worst thing to do about intrusive thoughts is to focus on sweeping them out of your mind. The more your think about them - how bad they are, where are they coming from, and getting rid of them .... the more they hang around and come back later when you are doing the same thing.

I have intrusive thoughts and so do a terribly large amount of people. It's not always during prayer time, but could be anytime.

For the Christian, they can be from annoying to frightening. Just remember, God KNOWS your heart and if you are saved, God KNOWS that these thoughts do not reflect your salvation and assurance in him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 4:12

The Word of God........... is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

........ believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead....

• Like Like x 1
  6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let no one think that prayer is easy. Sincere, heartfelt prayer is a battle with Satan. It is spiritual warfare. I recommend memorizing 6:10-18. Notice that prayer comes at the end. As we stand for Christ and battle in prayer, we must do so in God's power.

As for specific impure thoughts during prayer, these may come from demonic influence. I have found that at these times if I pray to the Lord to send away the demon, He answers and the impure thoughts disappear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I meant memorize Ephesians 6-10-18.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can wonder whether our prayerful contemplation is encroaching upon our depraved heart, or whether our depraved heart is encroaching upon our prayerful contemplation. Steadfast love of the Lord will "toss out" what once we might have treasured. OTOH, Satan constantly tries to break the bonds of love between you and God, and you and your siblings in Christ. Remember we are overcoming the power of sin in our lives progressively. When we stumble, thank God for our awareness, and ask for guidance to avoid or minimize temptation and deception in our lives going forward. Know this, when we look back on our lives from God's perspective Christ's blood has made us "white as snow!"

9. Abd al-masih

Abd al-masih New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That, does Psalm 66:18 mean that we should be sinlessly perfect at the moment when we pray or else God will not hear our prayer.

10. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, OP, do you have OCD? You seem to know what an intrusive thought is, so.....

Anyways. Intrusive thoughts aren't conscious thoughts that you're purposefully entertaining. It's not you, proper. That doesn't mean it's demonic in origin either, but.....it's like telling yourself not to think about pink elephants. The more you panic and try to avoid thinking about them, the more you think about it.

Besides that, almost everyone has the occasional intrusive thought. You can't avoid them, but you can avoid entertaining them.

11. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It won't let me edit my post, but to add....you're not gaining any enjoyment from the thoughts. Your reaction of disgust proves that. So you're good, fren.

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no such thing as sinless perfection. King David does not mean that we can have no sin or God will not hear.

He said if he "CHERISHED" sin in his heart that God would not hear.

That means if he refused to let go of sin - refused to repent and confess sin to God - that God would not hear him.