1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SITTING AT THE FEET OF JESUS

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Blake Speaks, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Blake Speaks

Blake Speaks New Member

www.blakespeaks.com
    From the Speaking Ministry of Blake Porter

Luke 10:38-42/As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
    41"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Let me ask you a question today…….

Do you find yourself being like Martha and preparing or would you find yourself acting as Mary did, just sitting at the feet of Jesus?

Lets look at our own lives:

Have you put so much on your plate that you are now a slave to your own schedule? One commitment after another! You need to be here and then after that, you have to go over there. Are you living the kind of life to where the second you wake up in the morning you are running 100 miles an hour to see if just maybe you can catch up with your schedule?

Now is that Is it working for you? Or!!!! Can you admit to yourself today that just maybe you are a little bit more like Martha than you would care to admit to? That just maybe your priorities are nowhere to be found.

In so many of our lives there is this huge chasm that separates our priorities from our commitments.

Martha is doing all the preparations and her schedule is so packed that she complains she is not getting any help from her sister.

"Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

But whose schedule is it? Martha’s or Mary’s?

You see, Mary understands! And as a matter of fact, she is in the only place she needs to be. And that my friends is at the feet of Jesus.

Back to our Lives:
    Now it is not like we have just thrown our priorities out the window we just need to reshuffle our lives. And to be honest with you, my middle name is reshuffle! I can so quickly by a snap of my fingers jump back into playing the role of a Martha. And before I know it the chasm between commitments and priorities has grown further apart.

I will ask the question again. How about you! Are your priorities right in front of you or are they way off in the distance? Isn’t it fair to say that most of us can wear these shoes I am talking about? Now, we may need a new pair of sneakers after we have accomplished all of our commitments but hey, we got it all done right!

Friends at any time in our lives we are free to be like Mary and just sit at the feet of Jesus!

Think Sharp, Think Smart, Think Solid – Romans 12:2

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

? :confused: ? :confused: ? :confused:

Rom. 12:2. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. (NASB, 1995)

[​IMG]

3. DeafTractMan

DeafTractMan New Member

Yes, this good point for our lives when we worried something like job or problems in the family. We turned to God as give peace as conforable in our mind in Christ. Jesus Christ speak to her as she listen his words that mean picture as to read the bible to be first before other thing to be last. Jesus Christ give our peace in our mind in Lord Amen!!!!!

4. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Blake is correct, many of us are too busy, easy to worry over things. That is called Materialism. Materialism effects our spiritual decling. We put things first, put God last in the wrong priority. We should put God in the first place. Also, we should not be worry over things, cast our problems to the Lord, for He takes care of our rpoblems. He is our peace, just trust in the Lord.

Also, Mary is the good example of having good devotional time with Christ, that we should have devotional time with God. But, many of us failed to doing, because of busy and scehdules. Also, we put God in last. We easy thinking of 'program' and schedule, such like as hurry to get ready go to work, not want to miss or late for work. We should try to get up earlier, have devitional time with God. The problem is our flesh make us tired and sleep, miss devotional or prayer with the Lord. That why our spiritual declining in America today. Because of Materialism.

Craig makes a point of question on Romans 12:2. This verse do nothing withe the story of Martha & Mary. This verse speaking of separate from the world, sacrifice our life to Christ, and to follow Christ.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!