1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sixteen Years and Done!

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Aug 27, 2018.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, probably not, because Jesus is completely foreign to them. They think of "inside people" (Japanese) and "outside people" (foreigners). So Jesus is just outside their experience and they don't know how to take Him.

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are 7 different ways to say "Listen" at various levels of respect--聞け、聞いて、聞いてくれ、聞いてください、お聞きください、お聞きになって下さい、聞いて下さいませ。At the imperial level, I would change the 4th one into an interrogative.

Make that 8 ways. I forgot one, 聞きなさい。

#62 John of Japan, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would they think of God proper, or Jesus claiming to be God Himself?

4. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. My son was "Sensei" when he was teaching 6-8 year olds. Have not asked him what he gets from the college students. (And when he had the younger set, he also taught Jr. High, and unfortunately some of those kids had picked up on US-style disrespect.)

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That means master, right?

6. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or "teacher", as JoJ noted a couple posts back.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A sign of respect, as when Jews call someone "Rabbi"

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All "foreign" ideas to them.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sensei is widely used. He's probably called that as a college prof, though if he has a doctorate they may call him Hakase (Dr.).
    Sad, but true. We had a 70-year-old teacher in our church who was shocked when high school students used the plain forms to talk to her as if she were younger than they and not a teacher.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It only means "master" in the old English meaning of "teacher." If you are thinking of a "master" in the martial arts or other traditional arts, there are various words for that depending on the style.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I only had heard that term Sensei used before in reference to martial arts, such as in Karate...

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sensei (先生, "previously born") is the form of polite address for any teacher: school, church (even a pastor), karate, judo, jujutsu, shogi (Japanese chess), flower arranging, tea ceremony.

The generic word for "master" in the martial arts is shihan (師範, teacher-example), but there are other titles for "master" also, depending on the customs of the particular martial art.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you know anyting about martial arts, as in if they have an occultic/supernatural aspect to them or not? As oneof my boys was in judo, the other one Karate for awhile?

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've trained in many martial arts and hold several black belts, the highest of which is 8th.

Judo is traditional jujitsu made into a sport, and almost never has occultic/supernatural aspects. Tae Kwon Do (Korean karate) is almost always a business, and almost never has occultic/supernatural. Japanese karate taught by a Japanese will not usually have such practices, but the typical Japanese is a Buddhist and would do his karate like one, so occasionally you see such practices there. On the other hand, some ignorant Americans get the idea that karate is a Buddhist art (it's not), so they might teach zen meditation, "ki" practices, etc.

Mixed martial arts, including Brazilian Jujutsu, are free from Asian occultic practices, but they have often thrown out the good stuff: respect, proper discipline.

There are now many completely Christian martial arts out there in America now, and they are usually good in their religious component. My high ranks are in a modern, Christian style of chuan fa (kung fu, Chinese self defense). All of my teachers (Sensei in Japanese, Sifu in Chinese) have been Christians.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are those martial arts though that seem to emphasise chi energies, soul power, becoming one, for lack of a better term?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And are the ranks pasy say 5th degree like honorary ones? Since you are 8 th degree black belt, you would be comparable to Churck norris ?

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're getting kind of far from the OP. Just sayin'.

Anyway, that depends on the particular teacher more than the martial art, except for some Chinese arts.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on the martial art. In my style, yes, anything beyond 5th black is honorary. The highest rank in almost any art is 10th black. Chuck is a 10th degree with a large organization, and was a world champion. I wouldn't want to compare myself to him. :Coffee At least, he is born again by all accounts.

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y Why are these terminologies in our western culture necessarily related to a form of eastern worship?
    And even if the terminology is similar there are our own western Christian forms which are proper

Psalm 119:15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back to the OP, it is always difficult to know what to translate for Biblical titles like Rabbi. The Japanese translations render it either Sensei or transliterate it. We went with the transliteration.

• Like Like x 1