1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Slandering God

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by stilllearning, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi EdSutton

My apologies for mistakenly insinuating that Wescott & Hort, were collaborators with Warfield, but at the time, I was kid of agitated, because of the subject matter that I was typing.
    You will notice the line, that followed my remarks about Wescott & Hort........
    This was just a bad time for God’s Word, in Church history!
    --------------------------------------------------
    As for the greatness of BB Warfield, you quoted.......
    Well we all know the problem with “orthodoxy”: (It’s approved by man!)
    As for the “junk that I am getting fed with”, please correct me if I am wrong;

My statement was........
    If Warfield never took this stand, on the “copies” of the original Scriptures, please let me know.

2. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Of course I was trying to direct your attention to the very early Church (the first decade or two after the Resurrection). Even though Paul wrote most of his epistles about 50-60 AD they were indivdually scattered (geographically). Would you really consider a collection of some epistles the New Testament? The Gospels and other NT books would come later. Would you consider a collection of books lacking the Four Gospels a NT? Would a collection of 26 books qualify as the NT? Jesus spoke of the Gospel being given during his ministry years (see Matthew 11:5, Mark 1:15, and similar). The disciples gave the Gospel during Jesus' lifetime (Luke 9:6) and could give the Gospel before Saul had been converted (Mark 16:15). The apostles also presented the Gospel in the first days of the formation of the Church (Acts 8:25). While the Gospel can be found in the OT, most people during these times did NOT own scrolls of scripture. All this shows that giving the Gospel is not dependant upon having written revelation readily at hand.

You seem to be resigned to 'throw the baby out with the bathwater'. Bible translations can be (and are) sufficient without being 'perfect'.

By definition a perfect God would reveal a perfect message. However, our perfect God also originally spoke a perfect world into existance. The ancient manuscripts exist within the realm of this cursed Earth and are subject to corruption, but God has graceously protected His word on this planet to a miraculously high degree. Faithfully executed English translations (including the KJV) communicate God's revelation with a high degree of fidelity to the underlying texts.

#62 franklinmonroe, Oct 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
  3. stilllearning

Hi franklinmonroe

Nice to hear from you again.

I said.........
    Then you responded......
    Not really;
    I am just saying that the bath water isn’t really dirty at all.
    (By pointing out how dangerous it is, to keep saying that it is.)
    I also said.......
    And you responded.......
    I agree;
    Isn’t this what I have been saying!

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right. And, given the many correct renderings possible for many, many Hebrew or Koine Greek words pr phrases, it's impossible to nail down any one English translation as being "the one". And let us not forget that none of this is lost on GOD. It was HE who chose to present His word to us in those languages, and to cause/allow man to make translations in various other languages.

While the KJV was the most modern English translation of its day, that day was some 4oo years ago. And in that day, the most modern headache relief was by trepanning(cutting a hole in the skull) to allow the "bad humours" to escape.

5. franklinmonroe

The answer commonly offered is that there is no significant difference between the 1611 and the 1769 (or other KJV) editions; the claim is that only spelling and puncuation was changed (perhaps some errors by the printers). Setting aside for the moment that I know there are some substantial textual differences between the KJV editions, my probe takes Ed's inquiry to another level: Why would it be acceptable to make changes of any kind of a text that is presumably 'perfect'?

Why couldn't have God ordained those printer's errors to be supernaturally included in the English? Why shouldn't we also have kept the original spelling? Generally we are admonished by KJV advocates to overcome the archaic words by learning the Elizabethan language, so why not adopt the orthography also? Why mess with perfection at all? Isn't that unnecessarily dangerous? Should we tamper with the archaic colors of Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa? Should the notes of Beethovan's 5th Symphony be updated?

#65 franklinmonroe, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  6. stilllearning

Hi robycop3

Nice to hear from you again.

You said.......
    I understand what you saying, but the issue has never been, “getting the correct translation from a Greek scroll”.
    (The translators, have been well equipped in that area.)

The issue(mainly a New Testament one), has been “which Greek text to translate”?

The accepted Greek manuscript, that was recognized as being God’s preserved Word for the New Testament, for hundreds of years, was the Textus Receptus.
    (Which isn’t really one manuscript at all, but a collection of about 5000 manuscripts of the New Testament, that all agree with each other.)
    For about 1400 years, thousands of copies of the New Testament Greek, were being discovered, and they were all in agreement with each other.

Sure, every now and then, a copy of the New Testament would be found, that had been copied incorrectly, so it was just sat on a shelf, and the search would continue.

By by around 1300 A.D., about 5005 copies of the New Testament had been found, and 5002 of them, were the same, but “3" of them, were different:
    (Having some verses missing, etc.)

Now, the 5000 copies that agreed with each other, were called the Textus Receptus, and men started translating Bible’s into English, using the Textus Receptus, as there source for the New Testament.

Then in 1611, the KJV was translated, which was almost identical to the great Bible’s that had preceded it; And after a few re-prints, that corrected spelling errors, it was finished, the Church loved it.

Now, for about 300 years, Christians all over the World, that spoke English, accepted the KJV, as being God’s Word. (Things were great!)

We had the Great world wide revivals, in the 1700's and the 1800's, (bars were closing down, for lack of business & police departments were laying off, for lack of crime).
    It looked like the whole world as going to get saved.

Then something happened.

An attitude, kind of like the one you described, became prevalent.

You said.......
    Sure enough, the 1800's brought us the “light bulb”, and “Darwinism”, and a lot of people started to think, “why can’t we improve the Bible”.

Then came Wescott & Hort, who took those 2 or 3 bad Greek New Testament manuscripts, and after realizing, that they didn’t even agree with each other, decided to put them together, and create a brand new Greek manuscript for the New Testament.

And in 1881, they published it, and because of some other things that were going on in Christian scholarship at that time, they were somewhat accepted.
    I have said all of this, because the issue with this thread, isn’t “properly translating” the words found in the Greek, but which Greek manuscript are you going to translate from.

Today when you go to buy a Bible, you have only one choice, if you want a Bible that was translated from the Textus Receptus; and that’s the KJV.

EVERY OTHER ENGLISH BIBLE AVAILABLE TODAY, has been influence by the concocted manuscript of Wescott & Hort.
    Now don’t get me wrong, people can be saved by those other Bibles, but if you want to really study the Bible(and you only understand English), you need the KJV.

Sorry for such a long response.

7. franklinmonroe

You disagreed with my statement that “a translation can (and will) be flawed but still convey God's truth. This is just the reality of the situation (one of the affects of Adam's sin)".

Again, you have freely substituted 'preservation' (in your response) with "translation" (the subject of my statement). God had communicated directly with Adam in Eden. Later, Adam's sin brought corruption onto this planet; it was sin at Babel that caused God to frustrate man's efforts by creating multiple languages. Without sin there would be no need for translation.

It is true that man's sin will not prevent God from doing anything He desires. You have asserted that the Lord has perfectly preserved His Word for us. I assume you base your doctrine on Scripture; so show me a verse (or verses) that states that at all times people will have on this Earth all of God's words perfectly preserved in a written book (it doesn't even have to be specifically an English book).

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Okay - show us where the text of the NKJV has been influenced.

9. stilllearning

Hi franklinmonroe

I did catch your sarcasm.

But let me respond anyway.
    You asked.......
    I don’t know, but He didn’t.
    As for those “archaic words”, that we cruel KJVO people want to force people to learn: There is a reason why, they have to remain.

And that reason is, because today’s scholarship CAN NOT BE TRUSTED.
    This issue, is kind of like the one, that concerns todays “constitutionalists”:

They don’t want to see a “Constitutional Convention”(I believe that is what it’s called), in order to add a provision to protect marriage(for instance), because this convention, could also remove the 2nd amendment, etc.
    (Simply because, it happens to be unpopular today!)

The same thing is true, when it comes to modernizing the KJV.
    (We don’t trust today’s scholarship enough, to let them update any of those archaic words, because we don’t know what else they will do.)

Therefore, those of us, who love God’s Word in the form of he KJV, will have to muddle through and keep putting up with the Bible that we have.

Thank you anyway.

10. franklinmonroe

Hi stilllearning! I was responding to EdSutton's question; any sarcasm found was not directed at you.
    If you don't know, how can you dogmatically state that "He didn't"?

11. stilllearning

Hi C4K

I skipped franklinmonroe’s 2nd question, to quickly answer yours.

You asked.......
    That is a good question.
    My choice to use the KJV over the NKJV, is simple one.

As a young Christian, I had started out with a KJV, and although I didn’t understand some of those old words, I simply picked up an English dictionary, and found out what words like “countenance” meant.

I remember reading through Genesis for the first time, and coming to this verse.....
    I had to find a dictionary, to find out what it was that had fallen.
    (And I did!)
    This went on for a few years, and my wife gave me a new Bible for Christmas and it happened to be a NKJV, so I started using it.

Well soon after receiving this gift, I was visiting people at the local hospital(I remember it as if it were yesterday), and I was talking to a man in his hospital bed about the Lord, and went to quote a verse, and opened my Bible to get the exact quote, and the verse was different.
    (I immediately laid down my new Bible and picked up my old Bible.)

I still have that NKJV Bible on my shelf, but I never use it.
    Now today, I still use the KJV exclusively, and the main reason, is because it is the only English Bible that hasn’t been copyrighted.

The NKJV(along with all the others), doesn’t have the same protection against slight changes, as the KJV does.

When you buy a KJV, you can rest assured, that it will always be the same old Bible that you have always used.
    This is the same issue, that I have been talking about in my last two responses.
    “Trust”!

I don’t trust anybody(in these last days), messing with even one word, of my Bible.

12. franklinmonroe

stilllearning, you said --
    But you also said --
    I can guarantee you that English of Wycliffe is different than Tyndale's (but you can check for yourself); and they're both different than the KJV.

#72 franklinmonroe, Oct 6, 2008
  13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thats fine and the choice is up to you.

You claimed that the KNJV is influenced my the Alexandrian texts. Please show me where.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

No copyright (which is not totally true) means that it has no protection. You can do whatever you want and still call it a KJV.

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Would you then be ROFL, followed by the coughing/sneezing? Or would it be in the reverse order?

16. franklinmonroe

stiilllearning, I don't know where you are getting your information but several of the facts you have used are incorrect. There is NOT 5000 copies of the TR. The proper application of the Latin term Textus Receptus (TR) is to a group of about 30 different printed editions (not manuscripts, and not scrolls) of the Greek New Testament mostly produced over a period of about 100 years (so I'm not including Scrivner's edition here). The term 'Received Text' is misapplied to many other texts, including the Hebrew Masoretic Text, Latin, and occassionally English versions.

The number 5000 is often associated with the total count of extant Greek manuscripts, most of which are incomplete fragments of the NT, and many represent other textual traditions (different than the TR text). One of the textual traditions is called the Byzantine, and this type has been collated by at least two different groups of scholars into two similar printed Greek texts often collectively referred to as the 'Majority Text' (MT). The TR is also complied from mostly Byzantine manuscripts, but is distict from the MT.

#76 franklinmonroe, Oct 6, 2008
  17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

For example, Ed, had the KJ translators translated the Greek "baptizo" as "immerse" instead of transliterating it to "baptize," (because they were sprinklers and pourers), i would be a "Southern Immerser" or "Southern Immersionist" today.

Although, Southern Baptist does flow more easily off the tongue.

18. franklinmonroe

WOW! Talk about revisionist history <whew>. I don't know where you got this info, but its WRONG. You have gotten a hold of some really bad stuff. I'm sorry, I just don't have time to correct everything for you. You wouldn't believe me anyway (at least, you shouldn't). You really need to read multiple reliable sources and review the true historical facts. Really, we (most of the regulars at the BB) have your best interest at heart.

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Funny play on words, but YOU have only flawed translations, I have The Holy Bible!:godisgood:

#79 Salamander, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  20. Salamander

Salamander New Member

They were able to perfectly relate the Gospel by word of mouth and their personal testimony.

When questions come from those doubters who try their best to deny the word of God, it helps to have the standard maintained for reference purposes to refute any of thier false claims.

satan knows this, that is why he has detoured so many to bring about so many new translations to confuse the soldier of God and do his best to weaken his armor!

You ask us "Which KJV?" we have the answer thrown in our face, "Three!" if not "Four!".

[Snipped - you cannot say that Satan authors other versions of the Bible]

Do the math!:godisgood:

#80 Salamander, Oct 6, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.