1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Slavery: What They Didn’t Teach in My High School

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Revmitchell, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A man I have known since grade school changed his name, years ago, to an Arabic one. He told me he rejected Christianity as “the white man’s religion that justified slavery.” He argued Africans taken out of that continent were owed reparations. “From whom?” I asked.

Arab slavers took more Africans out of Africa and transported them to the Middle East and to South America than European slavers took out of Africa and brought to North America. Arab slavers began taking slaves out of Africa beginning in the ninth century — centuries before the European slave trade — and continued well after.

In “Prisons & Slavery,” John Dewar Gleissner writes: “The Arabs’ treatment of black Africans can aptly be termed an African Holocaust. Arabs killed more Africans in transit, especially when crossing the Sahara Desert, than Europeans and Americans, and over more centuries, both before and after the years of the Atlantic slave trade. Arab Muslims began extracting millions of black African slaves centuries before Christian nations did. Arab slave traders removed slaves from Africa for about 13 centuries, compared to three centuries of the Atlantic slave trade. African slaves transported by Arabs across the Sahara Desert died more often than slaves making the Middle Passage to the New World by ship. Slaves invariably died within five years if they worked in the Ottoman Empire’s Sahara salt mines.”

https://www.larryelder.com/column/s...2kn6p3AgrzYwlBRtlSf85mzYcDHWu7vGHWxcitBMeVxZ4

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Africans were also the primary slave traders to the Americas as well. In other words, Africans trading Africans.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. White people sure didn't go inland and round them up. Tribes caught and sold other tribes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So did American Indians

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't know that.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Historian Tiya Miles provided this snapshot of the Native American ownership of black slaves at the turn of the 19th century for Slate magazine in January 2016:

Miles places the number of enslaved people held by Cherokees at around 600 at the start of the 19th century and around 1,500 at the time of westward removal in 1838-9. (Creeks, Choctaws, and Chickasaws, she said, held around 3,500 slaves, across the three nations, as the 19th century began.) “Slavery inched its way slowly into Cherokee life,” Miles told me. “When a white man moved into a Native location, usually to work as a trader or as an Indian agent, he would own [African] slaves.” If such a person also had a child with a Native woman, as was not uncommon, the half-European, half-Native child would inherit the enslaved people (and their children) under white law, as well as the right to use tribal lands under tribal law. This combination put such people in a position to expand their wealth, eventually operating large farms and plantations.

FACT CHECK: 9 Facts About Slavery They Don't Want You to Know

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said we didn't? I have always said I wish we had had enough sense to quit fighting among our selves long enough to kill y'all.

8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was specifically talking about my ancestors enslaving members of rival tribes.

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems I read somewhere years ago about a black man who ran a slave-selling empire that he ruled like a king, & was HQ'd somewhere near New Orleans, but I can't remember where I read it. Anyone have any skinny on such an "empire" ?

10. PastoralMusings

PastoralMusings Active Member

How many of Irish descent do we hear complaining about their ancestors being slaves?

11. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps his friend ought to try emigrating to Mauritania. Seems they don't follow the "white man's religion" there. :Wink

12. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this a true statement? Chapter and verse please.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh, are you asking me to do that?

14. Wesley Briggman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since it is not possible, I had no expectation of you being able to do that.

The statement is/was not attributed to you. The statement was made by your friend.

In my thinking, this statement relates back to the concept/belief that this is a Christian nation, founded on Judaeo/Christian principles. While some of the founders identified as Christians, all did not.

Does the history of this nation, from its earliest times to present, validate the claim that we are a Christian nation? I think not.

Therefore, why has, in my opinion, this false claim withstood the test of time? What is the source sustaining this falsehood?

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which post did you quote from?

16. Wesley Briggman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Post #1. Firs paragraph:

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not my friend

Aaah you are one of those. Who is arguing this is a Christian nation? We are a nation founded on Judeo/Christian even biblical principles.

18. Wesley Briggman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry for the misrepresentation/assumption referring to the man as a friend.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No worries

20. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wesley, many of these posts are quotes from a linked article, which is the case here. Always look for the link and read the article there. Don't assume a post is the poster's own words.

In this case, the black author is referring to a black friend referring to Christianity as "the white man's religion." Of course the friend is dead wrong in that characterization, and in several other points as well. Just read the article and you will see.