1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Small Church Movement Gains Momentum

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Dr. Bob, Mar 3, 2006.

1. steveo

steveo New Member

The bible is clear that God gives leaders for the church. Thats why Tim and Titus give us qualifications for Overseers(Pastors).
    Heb 13:7 says remember those who have rule over you...
    Do these house churchs have leaders? What about doctrine?
    One important job of a pastor is to guard the doctrine. Many churchs are going away form doctrine and some around me say we don't discuss doctrine, and one baptist church says its up to each one to interpret scripture and there are no easy answers for salvation. Look at the first baptist dayton ohio website, and you can see it for yourself. Sickening.

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

There are some house churches that have no leaders and teach false doctrine, but there are also some institutional churches that have bad leaders and teach false doctrine as well.

In all of the house church networks I have been in, those in the house church aren't there because they want no accountability and false doctrine, just the opposite is true. Most in the house church "movement" have left the institutional church because it has become watered down, entertainment driven, abandoned the New Testement model, and have moved to unbiblical single pastor leadership instead of the biblical model of Christ as the head, with a plurality of elders/pastors/bishops as overseers and as you have pointed out with your example have abandoned sound doctrine.

House churches are not new, they are actually the model that was first used in the early church before the Christians started adopting modified Catholocism as their model over the New Testament model.

3. steveo

steveo New Member

I see what your saying, there are alot of bad churchs out there. I'm not so sure the bible is clear on plurality of elders meaning more than one in the church or if it means many in the city as a whole. But still a pastor shouldn't be a dictator like many.
    By the way most southern baptist churchs have deacons that are really acting as elders.

4. steveo

steveo New Member

5. steveo

steveo New Member

I found out the church does teach there is no way of salvation accept for Jesus, but I do think the website is confusing.

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Acts 20:28-29
    28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
    29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

The bible says 'smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.' There is a satanic attack on church authority today.

7. 2Timothy4:1-5

2Timothy4:1-5 New Member

Would love to read the Time article, but upon clicking on the link, it says that the article has been moved to the archive section, and that if I want to read it I have to pay $1.99 for the service.

No thanks, but I'll pass. I guess the article isn't all that important to me after all.

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Weren't house churches necessary in Jerusalem in Bible times because Jews were not allowed to assemble in large groups? And of necessity, only being days, weeks and months old, the brand new church had no resources to build buildings, they would most likely not have been allowed to build a facility anyway, and they were still learning the best way to function as a church-body.

Rather than looking at this time as a "model", why don't we see it as a trial-and-error time?

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jer 2:8 - Show Context
    The priests said not, Where is the LORD? and they that handle the law knew me not: the pastors also transgressed against me, and the prophets prophesied by Baal, and walked after things that do not profit.

Jer 3:15 - Show Context
    And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.

Jer 10:21 - Show Context
    For the pastors are become brutish, and have not sought the LORD: therefore they shall not prosper, and all their flocks shall be scattered.

Jer 12:10 - Show Context
    Many pastors have destroyed my vineyard, they have trodden my portion under foot, they have made my pleasant portion a desolate wilderness.

Jer 22:22 - Show Context
    The wind shall eat up all thy pastors, and thy lovers shall go into captivity: surely then shalt thou be ashamed and confounded for all thy wickedness.

Jer 23:1 - Show Context
    Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the LORD.

Jer 23:2 - Show Context
    Therefore thus saith the LORD God of Israel against the pastors that feed my people; Ye have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them: behold, I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the LORD.