1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured So what SHOULD the CHRISTIAN response be to taking in 10,000 Syrian Refugees?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Zaac, Nov 18, 2015.

1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems all to strange that Christians would turn away the needy. Fear does change the way we feel about strangers. It's in our nature. I look at is this way. I'm not ashamed to be a Christian. I'm not going to fear what God expects of me. Even if it kills me. To die in His service is a privilege, I wouldn't want to miss.
    MB

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

AMEN!!!

3. StFrancis

StFrancis Member

Those refugees should be monitored and be taught on how to live positively in their new societies. Not all refugees are terrorists. Remember that we used to have terrorist attacks even before the migration of refugees from war torn countries. They should be shown love so that they realise that they are needed in their new communities. They should also not be discriminated against.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Discrimination is acutely needed in dire circumstances. Troublemakers have to be weeded out. discerment needs to be exercised.

Of course all refugees aren't terrorists. But some most likely are. Of the ones that are not certain ones are of a criminal bent.

It looks like a majority are young males between 18-40. That's red flag right there.

Are they really "needed" in their new locations? Certainly not.

#84 Rippon, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only thing we have to fear is fear it self. If we let fear dictate what we will do then we are already under their control. You going to let them control you?
    MB

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you FDR. BTW, Itself is one word.
    What a novel interpretation of my post. I was advocating prudence and common sense.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course we need to help them.

We should do so with wisdom and I doubt that this administration has an abundance of that commodity especially in this case.

Has anyone heard even one word from the Emperor concerning the logistics of this task?

Has the administration said anything about where, when and how to assist privately with the endeavor?

Is it primarily just another issue being trumpeted to the public at large to divide us politically (ya , I know we are Christians first).

You know, - can't let a crisis slip through our fingers.

Disgusting.

HankD

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't answer the question. You going to let Islam control you? Or are you going to help people who are in a very bad situations. Maybe you'll just stand back and watch them die.
    MB

9. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not subscribed to nor a fan of The Amazing Atheist, but the primary reasoning in this video seems sound to me:

(Apologies if there is any profanity. I skimmed to make sure there wasn't, but it's possible a word or two may have slipped by.)

I do not agree with everything he says (the comments on Christianity for instance, or the comments on global warming at the end), but the basic gist is that the Syrian refugees are people who legitimately need help and if it turns out that a few ISIS people have slipped in then how do they pose more of a threat than something such as a mass shooting? They are terrorists and want us to believe they are going to take over the world, but that doesn't mean they actually have the power and means to do so. Seems the most they can do is attack places with lots of people as a scare tactic--that doesn't make these events any less horrible, but the point is that's not much of a national threat. The probability of being caught in a terrorist attack is less than that of being struck by lightning.

I haven't read the thread and I'm not terribly interested in arguing, and maybe these points have been brought up already. But I did want to throw this out there.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have a problem reading easy English. I said nothing about fear in my posts 84 and 66.

11. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do know that to be Christ like we can't refuse to help those who ask and we are suppose to love our enemies
    Discrimination is fear and in this case the fear of what these Syrians might or might not do. Have you thought of it in a positive way? There is a possibility they could be converted while there here. Some day go back to there country and change the minds and hearts of there own people. With God all things are possible. You don't know many of them maybe chosen..
    MB

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love em' at a distance I say. Of course we can refuse to "help" some of them. They all should not get whatever all of them want. We need to have more of the Ellis Island restrictions in place.
    No. Dicrimination is not fear. It is exercising discernment and common sense as I have said before.
    I hope that those that do come are able to hear the Gospel and become Christians. But I do believe we should let the floodgates open. That would be mindless. We already know that there is no way to be able to properly vet all these people.
    There will be nothing left to go back to.
    quote]
    With God all things are possible. You don't know many of them maybe chosen..
    /QUOTE]
    You mean some of them may be of the elect. Yes, that's a possibility.

Okay, back to common sense. Of the migrants in Germany right now 69% are men, 18% children and 13% women. What goes through your mind when you hear that? The percentages may be approximate around all of Europe presently. What if those percentages are reflected in the next wave of refugees coming to America? Would you turn a blind eye toward it? Again, use common sense. These are danger signs. a lot of those young healthy men are up to no good. Some are likely terrorists. Others are criminals. The rest might be acceptable.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If there really such a thing as a teleportation device I would use it to teleport the suffering and dying in Syria. Who are they? Babies, small children mothers and old people. I have seen the pictures and read the stories on The Daily Mail. It is heartbreaking.

Obama plans on bringing more than 100,000 Syrian refugees alone. If around 70% are men between 18-40 it would be perfectly prudent to evaluate them. If we must err; we need to err on the side of caution. To protect the citizens of the United States of America should remain a high priority of any President of the U.S.A.

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon;
    Could be a reason for the women and children count being so low. On a battle field it's always the weak who are killed the quickest because they are easy targets. Not only are these people at war with themselves but Russia is over there beating them on the head as well trying to stop them from killing them selves off. I'm not saying to open the flood gates. I can understand we should be cautious and check these people out before allowing entry. However to just say no is heartless.
    MB

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Please enlighten me. The Title of this thread is:

So who is right? The author of the OP who is simply claiming that 10,000 Syrian refugees will be settled in the U.S., or you, claiming that "more than 100,000 Syrian refugees alone" are coming. There is a vast difference.
    I can tell you this. I am from Canada which has a population of about 35 million. America's population is about 325 million or almost ten times that of Canada. Our Prime Minister is allowing 50,000 refugees over the next year to enter into Canada. That is five times more than the "10,000" originally quoted.

Reading through this thread I found many inaccuracies, many fears and fear-mongering, and then some out-right silly posts.
    But here is a serious one to start with:
    We have known this for a long time. But since men are unwilling to go perhaps God is bringing the mission field to us. And that is precisely the way to look upon these people--a mission field that needs to be reached with the Gospel.

This is a racist statement.
    If you have 10,000 Baptists, ten of them will be poison, at least ten, and will cause spiritual death somewhere along the line.
    If you have 10,000 Caucasians at least ten of them will be terrorists. How? Look in your own backyard. Mass school shootings, Blacks being shot by whites, Just the general crime. Examine it. It cannot all be attributed to the Muslim, and much of it is terror related.
    So find an island somewhere in the Pacific and live alone far away from any outside influence. For all men have a sin nature. And you will be affected by the evil deeds of others no matter where you live.

Even in America you can't isolate yourself from Islam. It is one of the fastest growing religions within America, currently numbering over 3,250,000. That is far more than the 10,000 they are thinking of letting in.

How pitiful! You already have well over three million lost souls living in your nation that are Muslims and you don't care about their eternal destiny. How cruel and heartless can one be? Are we not placed here to be a witness to the world, ambassadors for our Lord? What is the problem? Jesus never promised safety in the Garden of Eden once we have salvation. We are to be a witness for Him while on this earth.

Consider: According to statistics compiled by the UN, between 2010 and 1015 the U.S. had a growth rate of 0.75% in their population. They are almost stagnant. The little population growth they did receive is no doubt due to their policy of allowing immigrants into the country, otherwise they would shrink up and die, for the selfish Americans don't think of anyone else but themselves and are not having children.
    One of the answers to that problem, other than the obvious, is to preach the gospel and pray for revival among those immigrants and refugees that are coming in.

Another statement:
    Every non-believer is against Christ. You are either against him or for him. There is no difference between bringing into this nation a Syrian refugee or an Irish Catholic. They are both unbelievers.

No, you can't change a Muslim man; but Christ can. Are you willing to allow him make that change?

And lastly:
    It has been proven many times. If I give you the evidence will you accept it?
    They don't all pray five times a day; only some of them do.
    Where would you get this idea from? In the Islamic nation I returned from recently only 1-2% or the women were completely covered (that is wore a burkah), and only about 30% had their head covered (had their head covered). You are badly misinformed.
    ALL? Really? Whatever gave you that idea? Some of my good friends are Muslims. Even your own law says that a man is innocent until proven guilty. Do you not have respect for American law?
    Do you know this from the experience you have had from the over three million Muslims now living in the U.S.A. Otherwise where do you get such mis-information?
    Will you also ship home the 3,250,000 Muslims in your land that are already American citizens. How are you going to accomplish that? You must have great influence somewhere!

16. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many have you witnessed to. You seem to know their sins what about your own?.
    You forget that diversity is what helped to win WWII. My example Navajo Indians called wind talkers.
    You haven't a clue about either place you obviously weren't there.
    It's amazing just how ignorant you are. Hungry people will swarm any one with food. Children do the same. Desperate people do desperate things. Why are you surprised at that.
    MB

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I have said this repeatedly during the many discussions of "illegal immigrants" on this board. We should be turning flips, just absolutely ecstatic that God would send unsaved souls to us.

Yet like clockwork, our own selfishness seems to take over and we start thinking about self and our stuff to be kept by us or to be passed on to our families.

It's this type of thing that has lead me to say REPEATEDLY that there are a lot of folks on here and throughout the evangelical church who care far more, by the testimony of their own words and actions, about politics nad their stuff than they do about the eternal souls of people.

It's sad.

18. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone's alter ego just answered....