1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

So why was the Creation thread closed?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Peggy, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am more in the 6 to 15000 year arena as far as the date. But I do not get dogmatic on that issue. The Billions of years is claimed but not proven. Evolution is a theory not a proven fact. That goes for dating.

We do know how God did it He made it clear in Genesis. And what is clear is that is science conflicts with scripture then what has actually happened is that the scientific data has been misinterpreted.

#21 Revmitchell, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2010
  2. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And you are a Baptist with this mocking of Christians "fundies" ? If your not a Baptist what are you doing posing here??

3. Peggy

Peggy New Member

I'm not sure how not believing in a literal 6 day creation equates with disbelieving the Resurrection.

What is important about Genesis is not that God "created the world in 6 days", but that God existed before the world was made, that he made the world out of nothing, his goodness, his power, and the creation of man in God's image.

The Genesis account is not and never was intended to be a scientific explanation for the beginning of the world. Rather, it reveals religious truth about God and man's origins.

Thanks to scientific advances in all fields, we know much more about the earth than we did even 100 years ago, let alone 4000 years ago. Why can we accept advances in medicine but not in geology? The world is telling us how it was made. Astronomy allows us to peek back in time to the birth of galaxies. The heavens declare the glory of God. Yet some people want to hold on to the way their ancestors and the ancestors of their ancestors believed in the creation of the world. It's as primitive as Native American stories about creation.

The Bible does not contradict evolutionary creationism because the Bible is not a scientific textbook, but a religious book about God's revelation to man.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Being a Baptist does not have to equal being a fundamentalist. Yes, I am a Baptist. How about you?

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet when it speaks on what man has deemed as scientific issues it is true and correct every time.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yet fundamentally, there is a great contrast:

In evolution, death is vital. It is the reason for evolution.

In creation, death is non-existent. Death does not occur until sin.

So if one believes in theistic evolution, when did death and sin enter the world? Before man. That is completely in conflict with all of Scripture.

7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Once again, you dodge the questions. In you case these two are very important and relate very closely. Your claim is that a literal 6 day creation is false because science has proved it otherwise. Science has also proved that someone can't be raised from the dead.

Here's the question. Please try and answer it. How is it that you believe God in one case, but not the other?

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No they don't. You need to go back and study some more.

Exactly. But the word is propositional and infallible. Scientific interpretation of the creation is not.

This is very true. There is no reason, biblical or scientific, to believe that God designed the universe to mislead anyone.

Again, absolutely true. Good theology and accurate science both point to a young earth. There are many scientific problems to be sure. Neither evolutionists nor creationists can solve them. We simply don't have the knowledge or the tools. So we need to be humble. We need to sit in judgment on Scripture. We need to embrace what God has said.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is good to see you, Pastor Larry. I have not seen your posts since getting over the operation. I totally argee with a six day Creation and young earth. I do have one question for you? How old do you think the earth is, and what was the period the dinosaurs were here?

10. Peggy

Peggy New Member

Matt, I will try to type reaalllly slllooowwwllly so you can understand. I'm kind of tired of repeating myself.

The creation account is not a scientific account of the beginning of the world.
    The point of the creation story is that there is a God who created the world.
    The creation story was there to make sense to primitive peoples to tell them about the true God as opposed to the false gods of the pagans.
    Science - particularily the fields of geology and astronomy (won't even get into biology) has definitively proven not only that the earth revolves around the sun, but that the earth and the universe are far, far older than 6000 years old.

The Resurrection is a real event that took place in real time with real witnesses.

It is very easy to believe in the Resurrection and to disbelieve a literal 6 day creation.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This is completely false and evolution is a theory not fact.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Theistic evolution assigns death to God and makes it part of the process of creation. This presents a false idea of God's nature. It completely distorts the creations account and the fall of man. In theistic evolutionary theory death comes long before man. Such nonsense is heresy.

13. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Amen,This is the whole point.

14. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Baptist fundamentally believe the scriptures.

#34 Jedi Knight, Apr 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2010
  15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Isn't this kind of missing the point, no pun intended? If God had wanted to tell people only that there is a God who created the world (something self-evident, by the way), then God could have stopped after Gen 1:1. But he didn't. He went on to tell us some things about the creation that go far beyond God creating the world. I think your position needs to answer why all the other information is there if God only intended to communicate to primitive people that he exists and created the world.

Exod 20 and the Sabbath day command tells us at least part of the reason and that is to set a pattern for man. Again, that is something you seem to be minimizing. An old earth theory makes little sense in light of Exod 20. God would be saying, "Work for six really long periods of time and then rest for a really long period of time because that's what I did." Yet we all understand Exod 20 to be talking about a seven day week of twenty-four hour days. It's not that hard.

Again, that's simply not true. I won't dispute older than 6000 years, but the idea of millions of years has not been proven by science, and you know that. Most scientists acknowledge that they are working in realms of theory and conjecture. You probably know that.

So is creation.

There's no doubt that it is easy. But it is not consistent. You are applying different standards to the issues. You are treating similar issues differently.

And here's a major difference: There are valid scientific explanations for young earth creationism (and severe problems with old earth theories). There are no valid scientific explanations for a resurrection from the dead.

So you reject that which is scientifically supportable and accept that which is not scientifically supportable. And that may be "easy" but it is not consistent.

Peggy, have you read Coming to Grips with Genesis?

16. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

This statement makes it clear that you do not understand what the word "theory" means in a scientific context.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Probably not six thousand years old; my best guess is 8-12,000 years. The scientific evidence is consistent with that, as is the biblical record. Dinosaurs would have lived in the antediluvian age, and probably died out shortly after the flood. Again, there's no scientific reason to think differently.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea you keep repeating this but it doesn't add up to much.

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evolution is NOT even at the level of "theory". It is an unproven and unprovable "hypothesis".

With such, there is no prove given, so the scientific method must simply rely on "models" - IF such would have happened, THEN . . .

When put on that footing, the creation model is far superior to any evolutionary model.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Peggy,

Personally, I have no big problem with regenerated Christians who endorse cereative evolution but please state the proof including the evidence that the universe is billions of years old. I agree that it has that appearance.

Jesus created wine in a moment that was mature wine.

Mature wine normally takes several years to produce (plant the vine, cultivate the vine, let the vine mature, harvest the grapes, squeeze the grapes, ferment the juice, bring it to market, etc).

God created Adam a mature man in one day.

God created a mature universe in 6 days.

How is that anti-intellectual?

What to me is anti-intellectual is that according to the wisdom of this world the universe came out of something called the "singularity" which although it had "no dimensions (0 dimensions muchless 3) " it had infinite mass - a Big Nothing.

It had "no coordinates" - it was Nowhere.

No outside force acted upon it, yet it exploded.

So Nothing out of Nowhere exploded and became Everything.

That's anti-intellectual.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.​

That's God's truth.

Then there is the "Primordial Soup" theory, a deadly toxic soup of methane ammonia and hydrogen cyanide at incredible heat spontaneously generated the building blocks of life "on the backs of crystals".
    Then there was a bolt of lightning and Mr. and Mrs Thallophyta (oops wait they were asexual) crawled out of the slow-cooker and eventually became you and I.

That's anti-intellectual.

Genesis 1
    26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
    28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
    29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
    30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
    31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

This is the truth which glorifies the Trinity.​

We cannot have it both ways.

Even as a Christian if you say sin and death did not follow after the creation of Adam and death entered the world as the result of his sin then that makes the word of God a lie and God a l--r.

Christians who believe in creative evolution must of necessity believe that Adam (or whoever/whatever) was the product of the death and decay of all the species which preceded him (whoever/whatever he was).

Genesis 2
    7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.​

Peggy, some advice my sister in Christ - choose the better way.
    So what if we look foolish and the intellectual world scoffs? It's part of their job-description.​

HankD​