1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Social Sins in Lent

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jerome, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed Baptist Timothy George of the 'Founders' faction of Southern Baptists:

http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2016/03/social-sins-in-lent

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I'll try this post again. Timothy George is not a Reformed Baptist. lol, my post keeps disappearing!

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like a Reformed Baptist to me.

" I was born an Arminian, as everyone is. I came only slowly, through much study and reflection, to a Reformed understanding of the doctrines of grace as taught by such notable Baptists as John Bunyan, Benjamin Keach, Roger Williams, John Clarke, Isacc Backus, Andrew Fuller, William Carey, Richard Furman, Jesse Mercer, James P. Boyce, John A. Broadus, B. H. Carroll, Charles H. Spurgeon, John L. Dagg, R. B. C. Howell, Patrick Hues Mell, and Augustus Hopkins Strong, to go no further. I know of nothing that has happened in history of salvation since these great Baptist theologians wrote about God’s grace, that makes what they said outdated or irrelevant to our contemporary concerns. I commend their theology to my fellow Baptists today, not because it is theirs, or mine, but because it seems to me to reflect the underlying and overarching storyline of God’s redemptive love revealed in the Bible from Genesis to Revelation."
    Presented as a plenary address at the conference on “Baptist Identity: Convention, Cooperation, and Controversy”
    Union University, Jackson, Tennessee
    February 20, 2007

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I found him to be quite ecumenical. This is not characteristic of the reformed baptists I know. Nor do I find that he is confessional to the 1689 London Baptist Confession.