1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sola Scriptura

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by mojoala, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billwald

billwald New Member

The problem is the Holy Spirit

The problem with Sola is that the Holy Spirit doesn't seem to involve herself in any method of interpretation.

2. nate

nate New Member

apparently very few follow this rules. That's why there is some 3,500 odd denominations. Each claiming Sola Scriptura each differing in doctrine.

All 7 ecumenical councils were held by the universal Church not just one denominaion.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Are you aware that it was the Catholics who murdered those who agreed with Luther, etc?

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Very few do, you are correct on that, and neither do the Roman Catholics. They hold to more than their fair share of false doctrines.

5. mojoala

mojoala New Member

The Holy Spirit is a female?

6. mojoala

mojoala New Member

Yes. And you point is? Should we go into detail about the murder of Catholics by Protestants? NO! Reason?

7. mojoala

mojoala New Member

Let us put on the shoes of the RCC back in Luther's day.

There was an established Doctrine that more or less held firm for 1500 years.

Martin Luther sees some corruption within the Church.

He decides to Rebel and create New Doctrines called: Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide. Martin believed in a something different. Heresy means something different.

People of the day were Barbaric and Uncivlized and Bloodthirsty. We did not even start to begin becoming non-barbaric, Civiilized and Bloodthirst until the late 1800s when we saw the need to provide education to the poor on a worldwide basis.

So If I was a RCC back in the day, and we had Heretics out there creating New Doctrines that contradicted current Doctrine, I would not hesitate to kill them either.

One has to look at the context of the time and era in history.

Islamist has a whole have not even reached a civilized state yet. They are killing us who are the Heretics(Infidels) in their minds.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Let the situational ethics and justifications of murder begin? I hope not.

==Not true. Many of the doctrines Luther had problems with were not taught by the apostles or early christians. These were doctrines that arose over a period of time and were promoted by the heretical Roman Catholic Church.

==That is an understatement.

==Martin Luther protested a unBiblical system. He had every right to do so. Though he did not originally intend to break with the Catholic Church.

==I am not sure things are that good today...

==Well at least you admit it.

==Morality, and God's Law, does not change. I will say this about the Catholic Church or John Calvin. Sorry no situational ethics allowed here...

9. mojoala

mojoala New Member

Not true. Studying the RCC, I can say they are right about this. All Doctrine can be proven from Scripture either explicitly or implicitly. But first you have to delete the Intial Programming done in your brain and discard the subsequent conditioning which ultimately gives someone preconcieved ideas and notions. Second you have to open yourself to the Holy Spirit.

10. mojoala

mojoala New Member

That is your belief. One day you may read the bible objectively and from a 1st century standpoint instead of a 21st century standpoint.

11. mojoala

mojoala New Member

I agree, but they are better, at least in the civilized countries like ours.

12. mojoala

mojoala New Member

I have to, in order to be true to my self and God.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Martin Luther did not post an unbiblical system.
    When he went to Rome he was aghast at the practice of the priests who:
    --sold indulgences,
    --commanded penance to be done.
    --in general the total corruption of the Catholic Church. He studied the Bible and found that many of the doctrines of the Catholic Church were unbiblical, and in fact anti-biblical. The Catholic Church does not believe in salvation by grace through faith, but rather salvation by works. This Luther had learned was totally unbiblical.

Other heretical doctrines:
    Those concerning Mary:
    --the assumption
    --her continual virginity
    --her snlessness
    --her immaculate conception.
    --her "co-redemptrix
    All these heretical doctrines cannot be found in the Bible.

Purgatory. It takes away from the sufficiency of the blood of Christ. Those who belief in this heresy don't believe that Christ paid the penalty for their sins.
    --Purgatory naturally leads into the heresy of indulgences,
    --and consequently the heresy of praying to the dead.
    --idolatry: praying to images. (the stations of the cross, for example)

The sacrifice of the Mass is heresy in itself
    --transubstantiation is a heresy.

All of the above cannot be found or substantiated by the Word of God.
    The Assumption of Mary was not even made official doctrine of the Catholic Church until 1950. The RCC is a church of convenience. They add or subtract doctrine at their conveiniece, including the massacre of innocent women and children.
    DHK

#33 DHK, Aug 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2006
  14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Two things...

1. I spend my time studying first century history in the Roman Empire and Judea. However I am not able to read the Bible from a first century standpoint, and neither are you. Why not? Because we were not born in, nor did we grow up in, nor do we live in first century Judea under Roman occupation. While we can know alot about them, it is not possible to be 100% like them since we have totally different Sitz im Leben then they did.

2. There is no way to read the Bible, or any other document, "objectively". We all bring certain bias, beliefs, etc, to every text we read. The Bible is no exception.

How do we overcome all of this? By prayerful and careful historical, cultural, textual, contextual, grammatical study. Any other type of hermeneutic can lead down dangerous paths of false teachings.

==In other words you want me, and everyone else, to accept the Roman Catholic version of things. You don't want the careful hermeneutic I spoke of above. You want to read the Scripture through the lense of Rome. I am familiar with Roman Catholic teachings and I can say, on the authority of Scripture, that they make many errors. Studying the Scripture through Rome's glasses is a dangerous thing.

==One of the reasons I know Rome is wrong, on many issues, is my careful study of the Scriptures. Another reason is my prayerful study of the Scriptures. I allow the Holy Spirit to speak to me via His Word. I dare not try to put man's traditions on the same level as His Holy Word.

15. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think that says a lot of that form of Christendom and its 1500 years of established doctrine. There is no excuse of "well that's just the way we were". Isn't Christ supposed to change us into new creatures? The Word of God was the same as it was after 1800, or is our "civility" now yet another one of our "modern innovations" like Sola Scriptura? (and perhaps the barbaric way was really the truth). "Islam is still the same way", well, was the Church of the past just as false as Islam, and just a cultural identity that had no real bearing on spiritual life? And I know the protestants were the same way, but look where they came out of!

16. mojoala

mojoala New Member

My issue with sola scriptura is that the adherents of it point in all possible directions and base their positions on Scripture alone:

Trinity or no Trinity

Sabbath or Sunday worship

divinity of Christ or no divinity of Christ

eternity of Christ or the creation of Christ

infant baptism or no infant baptism

necessity of baptism or baptism not necessary

soul death or no soul death or soul sleep

existence of the devil or not

predestination or free will

double predestination or not

music in church with instruments or not

snake handling or snake free worship

OSAS, or OSASies or not

any of a dozen more more versions of "rapture"

pacificism or not

man is totally depraved or basically good (possibly damaged)

man must work toward sanctification - or not

speaking in tongues required to prove presence of the Holy Spirit or not

The list is endless.

None of these problems existed prior to Luther. God is not the a God of Confusion. But we have a chaotic confusion system within non-catholicism(the essence of Protestantism).

17. mojoala

mojoala New Member

That is why I have immersed myself into the study of the Judaic faith and culture. I have joined two Jewish forums and have asked specific questions about the B.C. Judaic culture.

18. mojoala

mojoala New Member

I use to do the same thing. So I had to sit down and purge myself of all preconcieved bias and notions and ideas and forced my self to read the bible objectively. Even then, it was hard. I will PM you about an experiment I did.

19. mojoala

mojoala New Member

Likewise studying the scriptures thru Protestant glasses is equally dangerously. Just look at 3 posts earlier I wrote about this. No I don't want anyone to accept anything. I am just putting out what I have discovered and it more or less coincides with the RCC.

Are you familiar with James White of Alpha & Omega ministiies? He is an active official debater and an active catholic basher.

He once debated Patrick Madrid on the subject of "Sola Scriptura" in front of an entire congregation of Protestants. Obviously he lost this debate. Why? The victor always publishes the history. Patrick Madrid offers the 2 CD pack of the debate. I had to purchase it because I have read all of James White's books so I wondered how he lost such a debate. James White also teaches Greek. Yep Patrick won alright.

Another interesting fact about James White. His sister Patty Bonds converted to Catholicism. She grew up in a totally anti-catholic envirnment such as I did. She works for the Coming Home Network.

2 years ago I would not have had even have considered looking into the RCC, but one night I was flipping thru the channels and 'Coming Home' was on EWTN and Patty Bonds was on telling aspects of her conversion. I was interested. The host made a statement about how 357 Protestant Pastors joined the Catholic Church in 2005. Half of them are Baptist. I called for more info on this.

2001 - 201 converted.
    2002 - 267 converted.
    2003 - 310 converted.
    2004 - 311 converted.
    2005 - 357 converted.
    2006 - 459 converted.

Estimated the 2007 number will be near 500.

I wanted to know why these Protestant Pastors are converting.

HALF ARE BAPTIST PASTORS....

My journey leads me attend RCIA in the fall. I will have to make a decision by Easter 2007 whether to join the RCC or to join at least some Protestant Church that mostly resembles the Early Church, and those are the Lutherans and Episcopals. A more of a middle ground would be the Eastern Orthodox. but that is out of the question since many of those don't exist in the United States.

#39 mojoala, Aug 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2006
  20. mojoala

mojoala New Member

And that private interpretation has resulted in this:

The Holy Spirit can not possibly lead everyone to different interpretations. God is not a God of confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.