1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sola Scriptura?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by preacher4truth, Dec 18, 2010.

?
  1. It is an error and/or heretical to use anything other than God's Word.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I use only God's Word alone.

9.1%
  3. I use God's Word and other resources.

81.8%
  4. Using other works means you accept these as inerrant.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. It can actually be dangerous to only use His Word on ones own.

27.3%
  6. People fall into error with the "Scripture only" mentality.

22.7%
  7. I am closer to God using only His Word.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I have found greater revelation of truth using others works.

27.3%
  9. Scripture necessitates using others works to help us understand Scripture.

40.9%
  10. Using others works means you equate them as equal to Scripture.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

SHOULD is correct. But the fact that men are involved leads us to know that no systematic theology is beyond reproach. As believers we only hold scripture to meet this standard. Do you not agree?

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Of course. I said as much above, and above that as well.

But, theology can stil be "true" even if not "inspired" to the level of Scripture.

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Loosing LOL!
    This isn't a game of who wins the debate. This is an discussion about Sola Scriptura. If you believe in Sola Scriptura then you believe as I do because the term means scripture alone. That is with out the outside influences and other reading materials.

I haven't made any accusations towards you or Calvinism. I've merely stated the truth. Truth is what you name implies you preach and if it's Calvinism then you are not preaching the truth because it isn't in scripture.
    The reason you haven't offered any proof is because there isn't any.
    If the points of Calvinism I mention in my last post were provable every Calvinist on this board would have been more than happy to show that truth. None have.

There is only one way man can understand scripture and that is always through God. When I see something I'm unable to comprehend I pray about and God reveals it to me. I am not against other books on theology. I'm against on letting said books to determine what I believe. I don't look to others for answers I depend on God.
    Answer me this please. Why accept what men say the answer is. When we have a perfect God who is much more able to help us all understand the answers to our questions? Is it because you're unwilling to wait on the answer from God?

So are you saying that God's word is lacking the answers we need.
    Timothy wrote;
    2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
    To what else is there any importance?
    This is how simple the scriptures really are. They are the only true answer. This covers all we need to know. But for you God's holy Word doesn't seem to be enough. Why is that?

You've just proven that what you accuse me of, you are most guilty of your self. I haven't attack you personally like you have me. You have stated that I'm lying, yet you offer no proof. Your attack against me is uncalled for. All I have done is what I'm suppose to do and that is argue for the truth of Scripture. You sir owe me an apology.
    MB

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If true then answer me this; Why haven't you shown proof instead of asking me "the blind can't see it, can they?" Are you insinuating I'm blind? The truth is that there are none so blind as those that just won't see.
    If the doctrines of grace were 100% scripture then you would prove your point instead of blowing hot air.
    MB

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

You are correct it "CAN" be, and that would include the realm of the non-calvinist as well.

Perhaps, I should have said "domain" as you my friend are quite mathematically literate. :)

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have to say I'm shocked that there are 6 people who think it is "dangerous" to read only God's Word on your own :eek: So much for the Holy Spirit being able to illuminate a person... :tear:

Ironically, I know some who have employed such a "dangerous" practice...and gave their lives to Christ.

#46 webdog, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Webdog,

I agree with you about people having done so, and it led them to salvation.

There are also very many who do the opposite.

I am shocked that you can't see this, nor the point of the poll. Come on bro, you're smarter than this.

For you to make your first statement is to make an absolute truth out of it and deny that it could ever lead someone to dangerous doctrines. Are you then saying that this can never happen?

I have personally seen it happen. Said person would not come to the knowledge of the truth.

For you to be shocked is unfounded, and not thought through.

I am certain there are many other ministers who have witnessed those who would only use Scripture who came up with blasphemous dangerous doctrines.

One man I knew, for instance, actually held Bible Studies at an apartment complex. He quit because he had gotten so scared at what he was coming up with, and yet he embraced false teachings he had come up with on his own using only the KJV. Don't be so shocked brother. It happens.

Take for instance what Harold Camping comes up with out of Scriptures. He certainly isn't arriving at these conclusions with any orthodox extra-biblical writings.

- Blessings

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Based on the wording of that option, I am surprised anyone would vote that..and it was well thought through :)
    Can't say I'm following you when you state "For you to make your first statement is to make an absolute truth out of it and deny that it could ever lead someone to dangerous doctrines.". I simply gave my opinion based on the wording of the poll.
    It is never "dangerous" for ANY man to pick up the Word of God on their own. If we are lead by the spirit to do so, we better do it regardless of what any systematic theology might say about it. God's Word does not return void.

#48 webdog, Dec 21, 2010
  9. preacher4truth

It'a difficult to word an option to complete perfection given its limitations.

The persons who voted on that simply saw beyond its wording and to its intent and application.

I encourage believers to spend time in the Word. Alone. They also have questions and I direct them to go get some study helps and they do.

On the other hand, I also know that many have developed heresies doing so. I also believe Gods Word will accomplish what it will, and not return void.

But there is more than one side to this whole thing.

We see in Scripture also, warnings of those who add to it, and twist it, to their own destruction. I'm sure you've read this. I'm quite certain there were no systematic theology texts out yet.

:thumbs:

It happens, and it is unfortunate. Do you insist this is impossible and never happens?

#49 preacher4truth, Dec 21, 2010
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, but regardless of the outcome it is not dangerous, IMO. I believe it takes outside influence to arrive at false doctrine...I have yet to hear anyone arrive at false doctrine by simply reading Scripture alone with an open mind and heart. Now, some will open a Bible with ulterior motives, but those people have already rejected the truths that have been presented to them by God. I have also seen these same types (atheists) open a Bible looking to disprove it and the Spirit works on them to the point to where they give their hearts to Christ.

Again, it is my stance it is never dangerous to open Scripture. God is so much bigger than our intellect.

11. preacher4truth

Regardless of the outcome (which is all inclusive) it is not dangerous? OK.

You say "no" then argue it right back to where you were.

Simply because you have never seen it happen doesn't make it not so. Many have witnessed it. I have in many cases. Cults start this way. And they don't have to be mainstream. The following at this apartment complex was a cult.

Another case in point: I had a lady who belonged to my church. Her husband was Scripture only. He would not attend church for God spoke to him directly out of the Bible. He came up with blasphemous doctrines, and went as far as to send his teachings to the college I attended. They threw him out when he came there. Everything he came up with was only from Scripture.

God spoke to him directly out of the Bible alone to come up with these erroneous bizarre teachings. I'm sure you can see this happening without much trouble. This is why I included it in the poll, to see if others have seen it, and obviously some have.

Harold Camping is another plausible example.

BTW, you're preaching irresistible grace.

#51 preacher4truth, Dec 21, 2010
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you think that is IG...maybe you are not as reformed as you think :D

We'll agree to disagree.

13. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Scripture

I myself love scripture and use it to see if men are talking from their own heart or from the Spirit.

I love listening to other people, because we all have different gifts and experience that we my see something in scripture others don't.

It is dangerous if we do misunderstand something and don't look at it through every word that comes from the mouth of God.

I believe we shouldn't suffer a witch to live, so let the one with no sin cast the first stone.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you've been on this board for any time, or have been alive, you've seen the proof. You just choose to turn away from it. That's OK. The Spirit will work on you. :)

15. preacher4truth

Absolutely true, he's seen it, and turns his ears away from hearing it.