1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Some basics of faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by pinoybaptist, Feb 2, 2010.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SOME BASICS OF FAITH
    A very brief Summary
    By Bernard Gowens

I am sharing this from another list to which I am subscribed. It is going to be posted in parts. Here is the first part:

#1 pinoybaptist, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
  2. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some Basics of Faith (Part 2)

Here is part two of the same article by Elder Bernard Gowens

#2 pinoybaptist, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
  3. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Basics of Faith - Part Three

And this is the third part of the same article by Elder Bernard Gowens. I believe there will be four postings more but I will stop at this one for now.

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I agree in general with the Elder regarding faith that is inborn in one at the moment of regeneration. However, I disagree with his statement: It is thus that this 'responding' faith functions below the level of a regenerate's consciousness.

I also disagree with the further statement of the Elder, particularly the last sentence: This 'answer' is performed by the renewed soul's responding faith, delivering the message back to God that "Divine life and knowledge of Thee is immediately received". In a word,this faith responds involuntarily on the part of the creature by the Spirit of God's Son in our hearts crying Abba, Father.[Galatians 4:6]

I have heard doctrine similar to that above preached. It is my opinion that this doctrine borders on Gnosticism.

I have argued endlessly on this Forum that with Regeneration the will that was opposed to GOD was changed to a will that desired GOD and one is given the faith whereby the Gospel Call becomes the Effectual Call. [I do recognize that some equate Regeneration with the Effectual Call.] I have posted elsewhere on this Forum my belief regarding the response of one who has experienced Regeneration.

Conversion is the result of conscious act of a regenerate person in which he responds to the ‘Gospel Call’ and turns to God in faith and repentance. Conversion is in reality an acknowledgment that one has experienced regeneration.

5. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's fine, ORB.
    I posted the article, and will post the rest, for discussion, not for agreement.
    In my opinion, though, I think he has rightly divided the word.
    But that's me, just an old near-senile ape.:smilewinkgrin:
    [​IMG]