1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Some highlights from the torture report.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Bro. Curtis, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the choice is 3000 innocent people dying or one terrorist on a cold hard floor......You can bet you last dollar I am putting him on the floor.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're smarter and better than this.

3. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was that the result of that particular incident? 3,000 lives saved? Give me a break. Do you know what information was extracted from the one "terrorist" (which of course you have no way of knowing if he was or not, remember the estimate was that 26 out of 113 probably didn't belong there or have information) that died on the floor? So the sexual assault and rectal rehydration is all in accordance with God because it affects innocent lives?

Are you going to dispute John McCain's comments on this matter. He experienced two years of unthinkable torture and has pretty strong opinions on the matter.

Here read this excerpt as well.

"One of these improperly detained individuals, Abu Hudhaifa, endured 66 hours of standing sleep deprivation and ice water baths "before being released because the CIA discovered he was likely not the person he was believed to be." A second "intellectually challenged" individual was detained and used "as leverage" against a family member. Two more spent 24 hours chained in the standing sleep deprivation position, until CIA Headquarters "confirmed that the detainees were former CIA sources," who had previously reached out to the CIA to try to share intelligence."

If only they would have just given up the information right?

#23 Use of Time, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come on now. Humane treatment doesn't have to sacrificed in order to protect innocents.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    False dicotamy. Not the only choice available to the captures. Torture is illegal, unethical and immoral.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? What do you know about it. What extensive training have you had on dealing with prisoners? What extensive training have you had on interpersonal dealings with terrorists?

7. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, really. What do you know about it.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't, Senator McCain does, generals do, DOD officials do and they agree with my point. Torture is not necessary besides being illegal and immoral.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? You want to do that? Compare who supports who? Well for starters I do. As Military Police in the United States Marine Corps I was given extensive training in being a POW and in handling them. I was trained in Urban warfare, desert warfare, terrorism and a number of other issues related to dealing with them. So i know a little something about it myself.

Also, the CIA agrees with my position, DOD officials, Generals, etc.

Oh, and the guy who led us to the courier for Bin Laden who gave up a ton of info as a result, agrees with me.

10. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry but your MP training had absolutely nothing at all to do with torture and you know it. You are reaching. Let's not act like the DoD, top Generals and the CIA are all in lockstep agreement on torture either. You know they are not.

So you think McCain is wrong when he says it is a stain on our country's national honor? Would you care to refute any of my other points or continue to pretend like the other atrocities didn't happen. Would you care to address the horrible mistreatment of those that didn't even belong there?

You willingly state having read the article that you support torture with the understanding that the following tactics were used.

- Sexual Assault
    - Rectal rehydration
    - Kidnapping the mentally challenged family member of a known terrorist for leverage.
    - The continued inability to determine who they are actually interrogating.
    - Letting a man freeze to death on a cold floor.

I am at a complete loss of words on how you can consider yourself a Christian. You have used false equivalencies and made up statistics about projected lives saved when you have absolutely no idea whether or not that is true or not. You are trying to pretend that your MP training is even close to relevant to what the CIA was doing. You call me a "liberal operative" all the time but at least I'm not so blinded by politics that I have to support torture. Who's acting like a political operative now.

#30 Use of Time, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev, you wrong on this, there is no defense for torture either legally, morally or has a Christian.

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Really?

Virtually all of the top interrogation experts – both conservatives and liberals (except for those trying to escape war crimes prosecution) – say that torture doesn’t work:

Army Field Manual 34-52 Chapter 1 says:

“Experience indicates that the use of force is not necessary to gain the cooperation of sources for interrogation. Therefore, the use of force is a poor technique, as it yields unreliable results, may damage subsequent collection efforts, and can induce the source to say whatever he thinks the interrogator wants to hear.”

The C.I.A.’s 1963 interrogation manual stated:

Intense pain is quite likely to produce false confessions, concocted as a means of escaping from distress. A time-consuming delay results, while investigation is conducted and the admissions are proven untrue. During this respite the interrogatee can pull himself together. He may even use the time to think up new, more complex ‘admissions’ that take still longer to disprove.
    According to the Washington Post, the CIA’s top spy – Michael Sulick, head of the CIA’s National Clandestine Service – said that the spy agency has seen no fall-off in intelligence since waterboarding was banned by the Obama administration. “I don’t think we’ve suffered at all from an intelligence standpoint.”

The CIA’s own Inspector General wrote that waterboarding was not “efficacious” in producing information.

Read More At: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2011...orture-doesnt-produce-useful-information.html