1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Some preachers' annoying habit...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by robycop3, Jul 17, 2021.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I only see those on TV.

2. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My pastor gave the type of sermon I prefer last Sunday. his topis was "works". He spoke of the importance of works by Christians, then said the most-refreshing words a pastor can say-"OPEN YOUR BIBLES TO..." & read some specific Scriptures about works, then, applied them to everyday situations while referring to Biblical people who'd done the same. He covered the topic swiftly, in detail, and I left, remembering the sermon quite-well. it left me better-equipped to counter those who say works aren't necessart, they're "another Gospel", ETC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Such habits are at first natural, then passed on as conditioned.
    What usually happens is that God is with a preacher, anointing his preaching, but the preacher has an existent natural condition, such as post-nasal drip, forcing him to cough to clear up his throat.
    Young men who admire the power of that man's preaching go too far in emulating him by picking up his throat-clearing cough as though the power of God lay in it, and the tic is modified in sundry degrees and ways and is passed on.
    If that man is spending time with God and is sincere, then God will bless his preaching despite the affected habit, and if not, he won't.
    A few grow enough to learn to give more lightning than thunder, but again, God can use it anyway, whether I like it or not (and am not really a fan. As usual, @rlvaughn made the temperate remark in post #9).

#23 George Antonios, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most people can tell if those grunts are consciously made on purpose or not.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It’s called entertainment and I’m apposed to it.

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its an old preaching style that passes from generation to generation. Most don't even realize they are doing it. All they ever heard in church. Around here, black preachers are terrible about it. Hooping and breaking into old black dialect that I can't half understand.
    The Lorddddd saidddd.
    I am good friends with an old black preacher. He talks like me, but when he gets in the pulpit, I can't understand 90% of what he says.

• Agree Agree x 1