1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Someone help me out here.....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Scarlett O., Apr 1, 2019.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good to know.

Using that word "apostate" in and of itself is highly offensive. But the truth is, JRR almost never mentioned Ruckman, since he had a personal principle of not answering personal attacks. But really, why even interact with someone who calls you all the names Ruckman called JRR: "Bible rejector," "used of Satan," "blockhead," "naive and shallow," "stupid," "liar," "blasphemer," and "hypocrite."

Yep, I guess Peter just wanted to be friends. :Coffee

JRR's position on Ruckman was separation, based on the KJV:
    "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat" (1 Cor. 5:11).

2. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I told you, me and a bunch of other guys learned about, and learned to appreciate John R. Rice, because of Ruckman.
    That's my own testimony. I, as a "Ruckmanite", disagree with your grandfather on the KJB issue, while I also, as a "Ruckmanite" freely confess to you that I hope to be half the man of faith that your grandfather was.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. I wish I knew how. ;)
    Do you know his position on the KJB from his own writings or from secondary sources? He edited a wonderful book of essays, A Coffer of Jewels About the Bible, and his greatest theological work was Our God-Breathed Book, the Bible.

Good words.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back to the OP, this might be helpful. I found in my files a timeline of the canon I had done in Japanese, and took a few minutes to backtranslate it into English. Here you go:

AD 35-96: The writing of the New Testament took place

125: Date of our oldest New Testament manuscript, the Rylands fragment (only having a part of John’s Gospel).

150: The entire New Testament became a single book.

4th Century: The New Testament was first copied in codex form, like a modern book.

397: The Council of Carthage recognized the whole New Testament as God’s Word.

1-10th centuries: There are over 5000 manuscripts of all or part of the New Testament extant.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am of the view point the writings of Holy Scripture was so upon their being written, but not because some later "church" men said so.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hold exactly the same view. Please note that the word I used was "recognized." You recognize something that is already true. The word does not mean that the canon became the canon because of churchmen..

• Like Like x 1
  7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is off topic, but how is it you follow hard after a man who was a known fornicator, adulterous, and self puffed-up determiner of right in others?

I really don’t understand? Ruckman even as a student at BJU was known as arrogant and puffed up.

I am not putting down your education, but why cling to a man?

It seems as bad as those who clung to Jack Hyles and now must be shame faced at the fakery and bully he was.

At least Bob Jones was humble enough to apologize before the world for the inappropriate standards, Ruckman was too blustery for such humility.

I just wanted to know why, in the face of all facts known, you would esteem him?

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was kinda like Trump.

9. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a lie. Note that I have agreed that Ruckman could be offensive, but to call him a fornicator and an adulterer is a lie promoted by Pharisees.
    I comment no further on the matter.

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you really do not know the man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you know the man well enough to make such an accusation. Or are you just repeating what others have said. It's gossip no matter how you look at it.
    MB

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    whether gossip is true or false we are all potentially guilty of anything, have we lusted? then adultery or fornication.
    Have we harbored hatred? then murder.
    1 John 3:15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: ...

OK sometimes out of necessity we have to warn others but we should be careful and try to restore those who fall.

Galatians 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Jeremiah 17
    9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes