1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Something I learned today

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by stilllearning, Jun 10, 2011.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Thank you very much for that explanation.

This particular pastor, used to be my pastor years ago and back then, he somewhat encouraged me to use the NKJV, but I declined.

I never held it against him then or now; But that clearly is the difference in the verse.
    ---------------------
    My record is clear for the past few years that I have been here; I have never criticized anyone for whatever Bible they used: I never called any Bible a work of Satan.........
    In short, all the terrible things that have been said about me in this thread, are untrue.
    (My posts here, speak for themselves.)
    ------------------------------------
    My only qualm is with Bibles that remove words, or cast doubt on them.
    For instance, the last passage in Mark 16:....

This verses stayed in the Bible for over 300 years(before the KJB), yet W&H can declare that they might not should be their, and poof.....doubt is cast on them.
    -----------------------------------
    Then point being made in this thread:(The thing that I learned), is....“Why I am so stubborn, when it comes to the words of the Bible”!

And that is because, I don’t want to loose faith in God’s Word.

2. stilllearning

The question being addressed here is, can the MV’s be “inferior”, and Satan not be directly responsible?
    ----------------------
    I admit that I did “imply” that the MV’s were a work of Satan, but that is not what I meant.

Sure enough the MV’s are “the Bible”(which I have said before), but even though they remove a lot of verses that I believe should have been left in, they can and do still minister to people’s lives.
    ----------------------
    With that said; Earlier I was asked.....
    “So you want all new Bibles to have the same words as old Bibles have”?

And of course I said YES! Does anybody want a Bible that has verses removed?
    ------------------------
    So the question comes down to the fact, that some real smart people today, tell us that new scrolls tells us, that those verses should be removed.

Okey..... I just don’t understand.
    (1)We had God’s Word for hundreds of years(from 100 AD):
    (2)Then you have the dark ages:(a bad time but God’s Word was preserved:)
    (3)Then later on, the printing press is invented and Oh boy, wonderful things start happening.
    (4)And God’s people trust it and the more it is reproduced in more and more languages, the better things get: (more and more people getting saved)
    (5)Then in 1881, W&H, put a stop to that; Sure enough the Bible is still being published, but now we are told, that we can't be sure that it’s all their.
    I have many friends & acquaintances in the ministry, who once were men of faith, who believed the Bible the same way I do.
    But in the last 20 years or so, they have been dropping like flies.

Oh, they are still in the ministry, but if you to read their doctrinal statement, and come to the part about the Bible, they say(without apology),....“The Bible is 95% true”.

Now I know why they say this, because for years in the ministry I have been under the same pressure as they have been; The pressure to please or impress men and just get along by repeating the “party line”.

This is what Jesus had to say about that.......
    John 12:43
    “For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.”

#22 stilllearning, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011
  3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

So where do you find the Greek for 'God forbid' Romans 6v1-2 of the KJV?

τι ουν ερουμεν επιμενουμεν τη αμαρτια ινα η χαρις πλεοναση μη γενοιτο οιτινες απεθανομεν τη αμαρτια πως ετι ζησομεν εν αυτη

Apparently the KJV translators decided not to use the 'exact words' here. Did they change the meaning?

4. stilllearning

In my copy of Strong’s concordance, he shows the first GK. word in Verse 2 is.....
    3361. mh me may;
    a primary particle of qualified negation (whereas 3756 expresses an absolute denial); (adverbially) not, (conjunctionally) lest; also (as an interrogative implying a negative answer [whereas 3756 expects an affirmative one]) whether:

any but (that), X forbear, + God forbid, + lack, lest, neither, never, no (X wise in), none, nor, [can-]not, nothing, that not, un[-taken], without. Often used in compounds in substantially the same relations.
    See also 3362, 3363, 3364, 3372, 3373, 3375, 3378.

-----------
    I don’t know: Maybe this word is removed in the CT?

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Nope that is from Scrivner's TR, the only one I have at the moment, but 'God' is not in Erasmus TR either. It is a rare instance of dynamic equivalence in the KJV. I, personally like it. It expresses the disdain of the Greek phrase - but it is not the 'exact words' you require from other translations.

6. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

You see, that's where we differ. I didn't see him call anyone here Satanic. I didn't see anything at all in his post to make anyone bristle. I saw a question. And once again, sister. I did not call you a flaming liberal...why that got to you I do not see or understand, but you alone know if you are or not. From my few interactions with you I see you as confrontational, but not necessarily liberal.

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for admitting that. Why was it like pulling teeth to get you to say that?

All I can tell you, brother, is if that is NOT what you meant, then you need to formulate your thoughts very carefully before you speak. Because what you are "meaning" and what you are saying are two opposite things.

Your thread from two days ago was closed by the moderators for that very reason.

I think your time would be more well spent in evangelizing the lost than harrassing the saved and accusing your brothers and sisters in Christ - even in implication - of being under the influence of the Devil.

You and I are going to meet in glory one day. Which translation of God's Word we used on this earth isn't going to be of any importance at all. What will count for Christ and what will count for eternity is HOW we used God's Word on this earth - for personal spiritual growth and for evangelism.

8. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few editions of the KJV have "incorruptible" at Romans 1:23, which is consistent with the KJV's spelling at 1 Cor. 9:25.

Romans 1:23 [incorruptible--1560 Geneva] [see 1 Cor. 9:25]
    incorruptible [2005 Cambridge] (1854 Harding) (E-R) (2006 PENG) (1833 WEB) (1842 Bernard) (1851 Cone)
    uncorruptible (1769 Oxford, SRB) [1769 Cambridge, DKJB]

9. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Yes, true. The Bible said on Genesis 3:4, "Ye shall NOT surely die:" Therefore the Satan attacked what God said to Adam as read Genesis 2:17 saying "thou shalt surely die." Eve took a fruit and ate it then she gave it to her husband Adam, and he ate it. They became sinners and went on the way to die. God is the Truth. The Satan is the Lie. The lie is anywhere now since the the Garden of Eden. Many fundamentalists saw the LIE defending it modern versions. Many fundamentalists denied it. The reason that we have the lie is to change the world because the lie is growing bigger and bigger. Where is the truth? It is deteriorated. The prayer is cut off anywhere. The Bible was cut off in public schools in 1970's. 10 Commandments was cut off in the Gov't a few years ago. To cut off God's Words in any bible versions thereafter. More new bible versions are coming soon. Many Christians are martyrs in missionary fields. In the future many Christians will be cut off during 7 yr tribulation.

#29 Askjo, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011