1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Song of Solomon

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Feb 21, 2011.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just read the entire NY Times article, watched both YouTube videos and read the wittenburgdoor article. Based on your evidence count me in as someone that doesn't see the imbalance and perversion of this guy. When he invited pastors to punch him to make a dramatic point, OK that was a bit off the wall, but imbalanced? Don't see it.

Do you have any other links? Because there's not much to see in these.

#21 InTheLight, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - Third link. I knew you'd do that one.

First off, note that the first 1 minute 7 seconds explains that this will be "offensive" and children are to get their parent's permission to watch it. It was recorded at the night service at Mars Hill where there are no children involved and it was answering a direct question of someone in the congregation. I'd certainly hope every pastor in this world would be brave enough to deal with real life questions from their congregation - even if it is in front of people. Mars Hill is made up of mostly young people who have not grown up in the church. All they know from church is that sex is dirty and you don't do it except in the dark to make a baby. Mark is clearing up misconceptions with Biblical truth.

Now, I'll watch the rest of the video (I stopped a the end of the intro at 1 minute, 7 seconds). Oh wait - it continues through until 1 minute, 58 seconds.

The question is "If I've given or received OS, would you consider me a virgin". Now, let's see. Did not our president have an issue with this? Yes he did. He did not consider what he did sex. So it's wrong for a pastor to address this? Jeepers, we've addressed this in our youth group! What is Mark's response? "I consider you someone who needs to stop." He addresses this topic in light of Scripture. In marriage - go for it. Outside of marriage - stop. "It's really a heart issue."

Man, I've finished watching this video. Amen and amen and I'd wish that EVERY young person would hear this message. I find nothing offensive in that but then again, I believe that believers SHOULD discuss sexual sin. It happens. We need to address it for what it is. Sin. Mark does an excellent job of that.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh - and the first link - I agree with Mark. What the world sees as Jesus is not who Jesus was.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, our last pastor preached a series of Sunday night sermons on the Song of Solomon, and the subject was romantic love, not an analogy of Christ's love for the church (which seems to be the primary focus of most sermons I've heard). I thought it was refreshing and straightforward.

The reknowned John Gill, BTW, preached a series of 122 sermons on the Song of Solomon. Gill, unfortunately, followed the rabbis in allegorizing the entire book, substituting the church for Israel.

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Some have played this out... It can be made to be about Christ and the church, but in fact, it is a love story with all the intimate suggestions that go along with married love.

I have preached from the book -- and about what it actually says. I'm not sure we do justice to the Text if we do otherwise.

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't recall ever having heard a sermon preached on the SoS and I personally have preached exactly one sermon from it.

It is, of course, about the relationship of Christ and His church (Eph 5:25-32; Psalm 45). Those who treat it as some sort of divine sex manual are missing sooooo much.

Steve

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is a perfect example of the depth of the scriptures. To one who first reads this book, what is it about BUT romantic/sexual love - in purely human terms?

A deeper meaning, of course, is the relation of Christ and the church.

A deeper study could (has?) result in an even more deeper spiritual meaning perhaps.

This is one reason I feel we can just accept the Bible as LITERAL (except where the Word itself dictates otherwise) and others can see something far deeper in a given passage. It doesn't have to be EITHER/OR!!! (Edited to add that there should be no conflict in the literal meaning and any deeper meaning - only an expansion of insight, not conflict w/literal.)

As to the OP, I've heard one (1) sermon on this book, and it was geared to avoiding "the little foxes that eat the grapes" in your life - nothing to do with either Christ/Church OR love/sex.

#27 just-want-peace, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2011
  8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Probably the best series I've ever heard on Soloman's Song was preached by Dr. David Jeremiah------------He's finishing up a radio series on the book this month-----------you can get on his web page and order the series and the book

Again one of the best series I've heard-----------just wished I could preach as well as Dr. Jeremiah!!!!!!!!!:wavey:

www.davidjeremiah.org