1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Soul Winning-

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

2. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

#22 psalms109:31, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
  3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

This is a true story, and it's not about me glorying in myself, but rather, glorying in what God does through me:

My father-in-law pastors a church, and one of it's members was sick where I work at....in fact, she passed away approx 2 weeks ago there. Now, her two sons, and one she raised(her brother's son....all his family died from a gas leak, and he was the only one to survive), all are pastors of a church. She was a godly woman who went to receive her reward....I truly believe that. One night I went up to check on her, because she was approaching the river, and was having difficulty breathing. I held prayer with her, and some of her family. In fact, we had prayer at least two times(different nights), and maybe three....can't exactly remember.

After she died, my father-in-law, mother-in-law, and I went to the funeral home to visit her....father-in-law's church is kinda small, close to the road, with very little parking. Her sons had a close friend(Ray) there at the funeral home that night. What I am about to tell you Ray told me, really touched me.......I almost cried when he told me. One of her sons(Jesse) had a son of his own there(they call him "Little" Jesse) the last night I had prayer with her/them. The son's friend(Ray) told me that "Little" Jesse told him that he didn't have to be around me long to know I was a christian.....and "Little" Jesse is lost. I want God to use me to get through to him. Without God working with "Little" Jesse, nothing I say will hit home. It takes God drawing him, and with a preacher preaching His Word, to save "Little" Jesse. You see Brother Icon, it's not about me, but Him. It's not about me, but He who works through me. Anything I do, I want none of the glory. Without Him, I am less than nothing. We are reminded in His Word, "Let your light so shine among men, that others may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." That's all I want to do. I want to proclaim what Jesus does for those who put their trust in Him. It's all about this man named Jesus. How sweet it is to be His.

#23 convicted1, Feb 2, 2013
  4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Willis
    Nice Willis!

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Icon, I heard this somewhere before, "It's not about the messenger, but about the message."

I am an unprofittable servant because I am only doing what I am commanded to do.

Apostle Paul, who was no where near God's league, said, "Without God I am nothing, yea, less than nothing." And I, not being anywhere near Apostle Paul's league, what does that make me? A very sobering thought to me.

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I agree 100% with you.

8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I know we have many "senior citizens" but I guess approximately 5-10%.

9. quantumfaith

Thanks HOS, I attend a "contemp church", we do much to "market interest" in the message of the Gospel. The essence of why our church was created was to intentionally create environments that "unchurched" people find appealing and interesting. We are somewhat successful in that endeavor....as in my local congregation, we have many to attend that would not consider entering any of the other churches in my area. We have contemp music...and it is loud. We have a casual dress style. We baptize OFTEN....now I do realize...just baptizing is anecdotal but that is true for a church of any form.

I do realize the "seeker" terminology is usually (around here) is intentionally pejorative in nature. That is why I would press for a specific definition of such. It seems as though "seeker" chuches are classified as such because they have different worship formats.

10. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

YUP...that about sums it up...although, in my (limited) experience, churches usually identify THEMSELVES as being "seeker-friendly" or what-not. I haven't seen traditionalists use the label and attach it to other churches. Often they will call themselves "seeker-friendly" or "seeker-sensitive". It's a style statement. It usually centers around formats as you stated:
    1.) Use of dramas
    2.) An appreciation for "interpretive dance" perhaps
    3.) Modern worship style music
    4.) No -one wears coats and ties including the pastoral staff
    5.) Chairs in lieu of pews most likely
    6.) Church is in a strip-mall and not it's own property
    7.) Sermons are likely to regularly focus on "practical application for real life"
    8.) building looks like a grocery store on the outside and a theatre on the inside
    All that jazz

None of these properties are inherently wrong or "bad" in and of themselves. Many traditionalists object to what might be thought of as an undue focus on the "seeker-attraction" to the detriment of the other tasks the church is called to accomplish....A traditionalist might think the "seeker-friendly" churches are making "converts" but not "disciples"...
    It isn't a hard-fast line that is drawn. Does your church identify itself as "seeker-friendly"? likely, traditionalists may object to their M.O. in some ways.

#30 HeirofSalvation, Feb 2, 2013
  11. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Exodus 19 :
    3 Then Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain and said, “This is what you are to say to the descendants of Jacob and what you are to tell the people of Israel: 4 ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. 5 Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, 6 you[Or possession, for the whole earth is mine. 6 You] will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.”

Exodus 12:48
    “A foreigner residing among you who wants to celebrate the Lord’s Passover must have all the males in his household circumcised; then he may take part like one born in the land. No uncircumcised male may eat it.

Leviticus 19:34
    The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

Ephesians 1:13
    And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

Jeremiah 31:3
    The Lord appeared to him from afar, saying, “I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness.

As long as we don't go past those who tell us what our itching ears want to hear we will never go to areas in which they do not want to take us.

God does soul winning by His word, the word He uses to draw us with loving kindness.

In my earthly mothers womb I was chosen for destruction, who can save me from this body of death praise be to Jesus.

When God drawn me to His Son by His lovingkindness, and came to Him my new mothers womb. We get born again through the enduring word of God.
    There is where He is making me into a new creation, where i am being born again. God has not chosen the old man before the foundation of the world but the new man in Christ.

This same thing goes to those whom who were looking forward to the one to come who would crush the serpents head, the work of the devil.

John 15:
    Jesus Is the Vine—Followers Are Branches

15 “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He [Lit cleans; used to describe pruning]prunes it so that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already [I.e. pruned like a branch]clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit [Lit from]of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

Romans 11:
    17 If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, 18 do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.” 20 Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

#31 psalms109:31, Feb 2, 2013
  12. quantumfaith

The "curriculum" is prepared by Norht Point. The themes addressed are:
    Find Your Place in the Story

Welcome to Starting Point---a journey of discovering the broad arch of God’s story and where you fit into the narrative. Whether you are new to the Christian faith, simply curious about it, or reexamining it after time away from church, you’ll appreciate the accepting, conversational, small group environment. Come as you are, be who you are, and build enriching connections with fellow travelers as you explore who God is and what Christianity is really about.

Starting Point is a natural, enjoyable, and potentially life-changing experience.
    Each of the ten sessions consists of three important parts:

First, selecting one of the five CDs that come with this Conversation Guide, you’ll listen to a teaching by Andy Stanley.
    Second, you’ll use this guidebook to help you reflect, and to journal your thoughts on how what you’re discovering connects with your life---with who you are, how you think, what you believe…with the things that matter most to you.

Finally, in your weekly group meeting, you’ll have the opportunity to share your thoughts and experiences with fellow travelers in a supportive environment that is designed to enhance sharing and connection.

From Creation across history and into the future---from the book of Genesis to the book of Revelation---God’s story is a story of relationship, and your name is in it. Welcome to the journey of finding out how the story started…where it ends…and how God’s story and your story unite.

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks for the info QF. Do you get alot of follow up opportunities.What do you find mist challenging about it?

14. quantumfaith

I have been a "co-teacher" of the class for 2 years now. We run it twice a year and usually have a group of 15-20. I have encountered the full spectrum....from some who "grew up" in church but departed for decades...to those who have NEVER been exposed to the church or the message of the Gospel. I have seen several changed lives coupled with professions of faith followed in baptism. It is not a "theology" class, something I have to be careful about, more like God and Bible 101. :)

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK then, are they comfortable in that environment....ie dominated by by much younger associates?

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbsup::wavey::thumbsup:

From the OP sermon-

#36 Iconoclast, Feb 2, 2013
  17. quantumfaith

I doubt very seriously that they would be attending if they were not comfortable with "how we do church". I am a "senior" , many of the seniors serve in the various environments of the church.