1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Souls

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Meatros, May 8, 2003.

1. Meatros

Meatros New Member

I started this topic on another Message Board, but there wasn't any interest in it. So I'm asking it here, hoping for some feedback.

I was wondering when you all think a soul is created?
    I'm not trying to get into any sort of abortion debate, but I was wondering because when God created Adam, Adam was a man. While I'm not a literalist, I do believe in souls (I'm a Christian of course).

I would like to think that the soul is created around the same time as a baby is, but then I got to thinking: If a baby dies and, for the sake of the argument, goes to heaven-what sort of person/soul would that baby be? It would have much of a conscious, if you get what I'm saying.

So I began to think that maybe the soul arrives when you are a little more mentally mature. The exact moment, I don't know.

Anyway enough of my rambling, what do you all think?

2. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I believe that souls prexist the body they are given. When life is given by God, it is then that the soul enters into the body.

editted duplicate word out

[ May 09, 2003, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Wisdom Seeker ]

3. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

I think too, you can look to Job for that. He talks about being in his mothers womb.

I will find the scripture and be back.

Sherrie

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I agree with WS.

5. Meatros

Meatros New Member

I was thinking about this and an omniscient God would know 'you' before you came forth from the womb. God would also know everything you would do and your whole life's story.

I pretty much believe we are all imbued with the soul at (or I suppose before) birth; but I'm have a tough time mulling it over in my head.

If a baby is neither babtised nor 'saved' is it going to hell? I know this is an old question and at this point I'm not really trying to discuss either side of the coin. For the sake of the discussion let's assume the baby goes to hell. At that time the baby can't really *think* (at least intellectually) so would it know it was in hell?

Perhaps I just should stop thinking about such things, eh?

BTW-Thanks for responding, you are helping my muddled head out :D

6. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Meatros, I do not believe that God our Father would condemn any child who hasn't reached the age of which they can be accountable for such a weighty decision as salvation to Hell if they should die before reaching that age.

The age varries by person, but a baby cannot reasonably make decisions even simple ones until they are at least a few years old. When a child can understand right from wrong, sin from salvation, then they are old enough to choose. Salvation is a choice. If a person isn't capable of making that choice, why would God our loving Father condemn them to an eternal seperation from Him? I firmly believe he would not do that.

In Christ,
    Laurenda

Mother of 4 children who went to be with the Lord before reaching the age of accountablity. 3 children, who are living, Of the 3, 2 have accepted the Lord as their saviour, one is on the verge of understanding.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Agreed WS. And the age of accountability has nothing to do with chronological age, but mental age.

The only sin that will send anyone to hell is rejecting Jesus Christ. A baby, young child or a retarded child do not have the mental capacity to reject Jesus Christ, therefore they will go to Heaven.

[​IMG]
    Sue

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Again, Sue says it all and perfectly. I agree!

Diane

9. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I, for one, sure hope that the spirits who get to heaven are at a much more advanced stage then they are when they leave Earth. I would hate to think that this sorry, stack of filthy rags, immature, sin natured, dufuss would have to start heaven as I am now and THEN become what God intends for me to be. I will never forget a sermon by John Kent in which he said that since we are all going to be conformed to the image of Christ when we get to heaven that we should all work on becoming more and more like Him here on earth so that when we die the change wouldn't be such a shock.