1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sources Identify Major as Gunman in Deadly Shooting Rampage at Fort Hood

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jedi Knight, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I can't say I don't believe you, but you sure do know and interact with a lot of Muslims.

Does the Koran tell the Muslim to be at peace with Christians or to either convert or kill them?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I interact with a lot of people. I wouldn't say I interact with Muslims any more or less than I interact with anyone else.
    Do you think you're more of an authority on the Koran than a practicing Muslim?

According to my Muslim neighbor, Islamic fundamentalism is rooted in Wahhabism (which sprang up in the 18th century). He says, the way to cambat these "hyperislamists" is to turn them to the very Koran they claim to follow.

For example, according to my neighbor, the Koran views followers of the Scripture as a righteous people. It refers to them as "a nation upstanding ... in the ranks of the righteous." He also says that it is agaisnt Islam to force people into it under duress, citing the verse "let there be no compulsion in religion", which, he says, radicals ignore. There's also a passage which says it was not the will of Allah for everyone to believe, so it is therefore wrong for a Muslim to force people to do so.

The only passages that refer to killing is in in references to Muslims are being warred against for their beliefs. The problem is that Muslims extremists think they're at war. The normal Muslims knows they are not. So says my Muslim neighbor, who is now a decorated was veteran.

So, to answer your question, according to a person who is a born and bred patriotic American, and who is also a Muslim, the answer is no.

3. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Why don't you ask the Muslims what they believe? I'm sure you can find some "Christians" who will say they want to kill gay people. My point is that we can't judge all Muslims based on the extreme versions of their views.

Like John, I too know several Muslims. Not one of them has tried to kill or convert me, although we have talked about religion some. When one of them was given a Gideon Bible, he gave it to me so I could put it to use. If he hated Christians so much, he could have just destroyed it or something.

4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You just keep on believing you Muslim neighbor, but try not to suffocate in the sand your head it buried in.

If these Muslim neighbors of yours ever have a majority in our country, you will certainly find out just how peaceful they really are.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If the majority were like my neighbor, I'd welcome it. I'm more concerned about the country having a majority that shared your mentality, heaven forbid.

6. FR7 Baptist

Who are you to personally insult John's Muslim neighbors, given that you've never met them? Mr. Snow, you have your head buried in bigotry and intolerance. I think that there's something in the Bible about bearing false witness.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are a troll.

Probably one that's been here before under several different names.

8. FR7 Baptist

No, I'm not a troll. This is my one and only account. I don't care for false accusations.

I'm asking you for an apology.

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Don't feed the troll. They get their feelings hurt too easily.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, Paul, don't let some these posters get to you. Just let it go. Trust me on this. I've been around here long enough to have learned that it's really not worth your time to get into a spitting contest with them.

#130 KenH, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  11. FR7 Baptist

Thanks, Ken. You're probably right but I will leave the door open if they want to do the right thing.

BTW, Ken, I see that you're a Libertarian. While I'm more of a political moderate, I am influenced by libertarian political philosophy. I have my disagreements with the LP, but I consider them a very good organization.

God bless!

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You post like one.

Wording, phraseology, chip on the shoulder, contrarian are all just like others we've had here. Almost identical to at least one I can think of.

We shall see.

13. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't see why describing a disorder makes it acceptable. The DSM IV describes many disorders that criminals have. It is a book that describes psychiatric disorders and does not comment on their morality or their legality. The word disorder suggests that something is wrong.

A more common and realistic criticism of DSM IV is that the criteria at times are so broad that many "normal" people would qualify for a psychiatric disorder of some sort. It is a common culprit for the "over-medicalization of modern society" criticism that is often thrown around. Having used the DSM IV, I think it is helpful for training doctors to develop some certainty and boundaries in definitions for psychiatric conditions that are often very fuzzy and blurry in reality.

#133 Gold Dragon, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2009
  14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Homosexuality used to be considered a psychological disorder as defined in earlier versions of the DSM. It was removed not by scientific concesus but after various protest by pro homosexual organizations. Thus, the validity and objectivity of the American Psychological Assn. is questionable. Plus, many use the various diagnosis as labels (Bi-Polar, ADHD, etc.) as excuses thus removing personal responsibility for personal choices and actions.

#134 sag38, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2009
  15. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    rbell thinks that inclusion in DSM IV = acceptable. sag38 thinks that exclusion from DSM IV = acceptable. Which is it? :)

I would agree that homosexuality is not a psychiatric condition. Whether it is moral behaviour or not does not depend on its inclusion or exclusion in the DSM IV.

I agree that there is a danger in the overuse and overdependence of labels. However, the insanity plea has been legally recognized for centuries as a valid explanation for choices and actions. The DSM IV did not start this.

Bipolar and ADHD are very real biological conditions that can be treated so that a person can be in control of actions and choices. Whether they are overdiagnosed or not is a different story.

Anyway, I think this is distracting too much from the topic at hand so maybe we can create another thread on issues in Psychiatry.

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

The DSM is a tool that has to be used if one is to be reimbursed by an insurance company. And, it no longer labels homosexuality as a mental disorder. Again, not by the reason of science but by political correctness. However, whether it's found in the DSM IV or not is of no consequence when it comes to the Word of God which calls homosexuality a sin and even worse an abomination. I'll take God's word over the DSM V any day of the week.

17. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Thank you! If fact, I'm so intolerent that I believe there is only one way to heaven, and that's through the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. Do you agree?

18. FR7 Baptist

I agree that salvation is only through Christ and I'm tolerant. In accordance with the teachings of Christ, I am opposed to bearing false witness about people I've never met. Do you agree?

19. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thread Closed

Considering the heat being generated and the fact this thread is on its 14th page, I am closing it right now.

Take further comments to Politics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.