1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

South African Theological Seminary Doctorate

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all of those who seek a fully accredited doctorate but cannot move!!

Hey gang, I found this over in another bulletin board:

[​IMG] 08-20-2007, 08:48 PM

SATS doctorate finally approved
    Just received notice this AM (20 Aug 07)
    __________________________________________________ ____

Breaking News! Doctorate!!

SATS is very proud to announce that the Council on Higher Education today announced that we have been accredited for a Doctor of Theology degree. We have been working very hard towards this for a number of years and believe very strongly that it is God's will for us at this strategic moment in history, when the focal point of Christianity appears to be shifting towards Africa. We give Him all the glory.

The next step will be for the Department of Education to issue a Certificate of Registration, which usually takes place in December. This means that the earliest we could begin to run the programme would be January 2008.

The announcement today will be good news too for the more than 100 potential students who have already made inquiries. Should you wish to receive further information about this programme, kindly contact our Postgraduate Registrar, Leschenne Rebuli on [email protected]
    DPhil (St. Alcuin)
    DTh (c) Uzulu

"The names have been changed to protect the innocent!" I was wondering if there were any out there like me who might be interested? Sounds like a deal to me.

I would love all who have sought, or who are interested, or who have an SA doctorate to come on line and help clarify some things,

How about it UZ ThD? et al.

sdg!:laugh:

rd

2. UZThD

UZThD New Member

how a bout it UZ ThD? et al.

sdg!:laugh:

rd[/quote]

===
    actually I think I mentioned this yesterday here. But yes, good news.

3. spartacus

spartacus New Member

I only know of the theological aspects of SA and have been impressed with those who have graduated from SA schools. Do these seminaries focus in Educational Doctorates Studies?

I have been interested in SA but it was finding a mentor here that clogged the drain. Although that was only one institution. And I do not know enough to know which school are what. How did the oversight work for those who studies there? Was there a required mentor here or was there a thesis or dissertation advisory there?

Did ya have to submit a Dissertation proposal prior to acceptance.

Thanks in advance for any insight. I have e-mail the school listed above.

4. spartacus

spartacus New Member

Just talked to SA and their entry requirements are quite lax and is done through e-mail.

5. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    SATS Doctorate

To whom it may concern:

I received, via email (as above stated), the prospectus and the application of SATS programs over the weekend.

If anyone wants to email and request a copy I will send it/them to you via attachment.

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

6. Pastor Shaun

Pastor Shaun New Member

How much are the programs? The B.Th.

Is anyone familiar with this school?

7. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

Do a Yahoo for South African Theological Seminary to get info on the SATS B Th particulars. Also, check the functionality of the SATS qualification with whatever powers that control the utility you require of degrees, as a receiving school or a denomination.

IMO, SATS will be viewed by those who understand foreign degrees to be the equivalent of regional accreditation because the programs of SATS are approved by SAQA.

I will confidently say that SATS is very responsive and user friendly as I've some dealings with Reuban who is the adminstrator there.

Because of the national economy, and not because of a substandard program, IMO, SATS also, like other SA schools , as "my" Unizul, is comparatively very, very inexpensive!

#7 UZThD, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
  8. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

One can never tell what a seminary actually teaches from a brief statement of faith. Anyone know what they believe?

9. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

It is my understanding that the founder / leadership of SATS are somewhat charismatic. But IMO were this true, the effect would not be that a cessationist need feel his/her persuasion would be attacked in all occasions of classwork or in the evaluation of writing projects. This is for several reasons:

1. The SATS faculty teaching position does not require anything more specific than the tenet that God provides His Church with spiritual gifts to worship and serve. Were a Churchman/woman not to believe that , then such might be asked in whose power do they live and serve? What is visually different in the SATS faculty teaching position are statements re abortion and homosexuality. These may be viewed as somewhat more important than whether male/female students walk about the campus holding hands:saint:

2. The faculty is multi-denominational and includes both Arminian and Reformed persuasions.

3. IMO, the purpose of higher Christian education is not to indoctrinate in the narrower points of a single tradition.

4. In my personal experience with doing education in a South African context (Uzulu/ DTh), I found that neither my Calvinism, nor my tuned very fine convictions re Trinal relationships and incarnational Christology , in which areas, particularly the first, Arminius' assertions irritate me far worse than does his soteriology, was I required to be proselytized.

The test for the student in my dissertational UZ experience is not the WHAT of the views he expresses in that writing , but rather is the WHY and the HOW.

In summary, IMO, no SATS beliefs should preclude considering the SATS degree offerings.

#9 UZThD, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  10. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

Perhaps not entirely the economy. Perhaps it depends on the item too: it costs an American $3K to do a doc but 15 K to shoot a cape buffalo---go figure:BangHead:

11. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Thanks for telling me what they believe. I don't see a need to share my views on such things (if you expected a response, I just want to be polite). Thanks again.

12. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Prospectus for SATS doctoral program

This e-mail message was received by several people from another discussion forum from the SATS admissions office this week:

SOUTH AFRICAN THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY'S DOCTORAL PROGRAMME

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Doctoral programme. Attached please find the application form for your perusal. We will not be able to enrol students until we have received the Registration Certificate from the Department of Education. In the meantime, you are welcome to submit your full application for review by the Admissions Committee. We will do our best to enrol you as soon as we receive the certificate. Further details will be sent in time.

Options

Our Doctoral programme is a research-based programme consisting of a dissertation. There is NO coursework in our DTh programme. The Admissions Committee holds the right to assign further reading or theological subjects should a candidate not meet the necessary requirements. Our doctoral programme offers you a choice of two fields of study, Biblical Studies or Practical Theology. You will conduct your research under the supervision of one or two experts in the chosen field of study. Our doctoral supervisors have been carefully selected to provide you with the high academic standards and the levels of service excellence for which we have become known.

Dissertation

On enrolment you will be required to complete RES6600 Theological Research Methodology, a course which culminates in the submission of your dissertation proposal to the Postgraduate Committee. If and when your title is accepted, under the guidance of your supervisor candidates will be required to write approximately 200-250 page dissertation, (approximately 72,000-80,000 words, 12 point font, one-and-a-half spacing). There is no coursework and no examination. All work is submitted and returned via email, except the final bound copies. The full details pertaining to the formatting of your dissertation are contained in RES6600. Your dissertation will be assessed by two independent External Examiners, as well as an Internal Examiner, your supervisor, and if it is successful, you will be awarded the Doctor of Theology degree at the next Graduation Ceremony. Should you obtain a mark of 75% or above, the degree will be awarded cum laude. The maximum duration of this programme, which is at level 8 on the National Qualifications Framework, is six years.

On achieving this qualification, students will be able to:

1. Identify, understand, interpret, integrate, apply and communicate a body of new knowledge (original research) in interaction with existing knowledge (current state of research in the field of study).

2. Apply logical, theoretical, analytic, creative and systematic thinking, effectively to solve a range of problems within a focused research context.

3. Exhibit the ability to identify and address issues of ethical action and social responsibility in the field of research.

4. Apply principles of sound research practice in collecting, organizing and evaluating information in terms of a critical understanding of relevant research methodologies, techniques and technologies.

5. Be aware of, and be able to interact constructively with, multicultural and multi -faith communities, from a theological perspective.

6. Apply the insights of one or more disciplines to identify and critique issues of church and society.

Entrance requirements

To register for a Doctoral programme prospective students must have an appropriate Masters Degree (or equivalent) in an appropriate field, from an accredited institution.

Certified (notarized) proof of the above should accompany the application form, together with a certified (notarized) copy of your ID or valid Passport.

The Seminary offers a free, no obligation evaluation of your transcripts, which can either be faxed to us at +27 11 234-4445 or scanned and sent as email attachments to [email protected]. We will initiate a response to your request within two days of receipt.

Pricing

Research Proposal Tuition Fee (a max. of 12 months) R14000 ($2000)

The candidate has a maximum 12 months to complete the research proposal, after which the applicant’s registration lapses.

Thereafter, students are required to pay the annual tuition fee for each year enrolled, with a minimum payment of four consecutive years (including the proposal year). Should a fifth or subsequent year be necessary to complete the programme, the annual tuition fee will be levied.

Fees are increased annually in January.

13. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I just signed on as adjunct faculty (post graduate supervisor).

Program looks pretty good to me.

www.sats.edu.za

#13 UZThD, Sep 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2007
  14. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    U Z ThD Response

Hey Bill,

I hope all is well. I went to the web page of SATS and did not/could not find the place to apply. If you would help a brother out here it would be greatly appreciated. You can either PM me or post on this thread.

It would probably be better in a PM so we would not wander too far from the OP. I too have a great desire to be an adjunct faculty supervisor/mentor. What I did see that piqued my attention was this: They are "heavy laden" it seems to me in the "Practical Theology" dept. But, they are "light" as it were in the theological disciplines a bit.

Christian Thought, History of Christian Thought, Church History, Biblical/Theological Ethics, Ecumenical Thought, Classical Rhetoric, all seemed to be missing or weak. I can understand since they are not a university but a seminary. But it also seems to me that they might would benefit form what I can do. And it might could even strengthen their spectrum of staff credentials. And I in no way mean this as some type of personal ego trip.

With what you know is it something like Rick Walston and CES's setup?

Please advise with facts and your educated opinion.

rd

#14 Rhetorician, Sep 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2007
  15. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pat's Fan Response

PF,

Could you furnish the hyperlinked text for the above page at SATS web site? Could you either put it in this thread in a post or send it to me via PM? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much!

rd

16. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Rhet

I sent you info as to whom to ask. At Unizul I was told that DMins are not usually used in SA schools to teach. ce at the SATS faculty indicates that. On the other hand, SATS is VERY heavy on praxis as lookoing at the research topics of the MTh candidates indicate. a Even a SATS dissertation in Systematic Theology will be required to address in a chapter the practical I am told.

God's best,

Bill G.

#16 UZThD, Sep 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2007
  17. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    U Z Comeback

U Z ThD,

Thanks once again for all your help and for your friendship. Are you saying that I am remiss for even trying to talk to the principal?

I did notice that they had one DMin on staff. We will see what becomes of my request.

If this happens it will not be the first time that it has come down to this with my DMin. I got a flat "don't call us we'll call you" letter once for applying for a position.

I cannot even be a "full fledged member" of the Evangelical Theological Society. Go figure! :laugh: They want people with an ThM minimum degree to join. Those others of us have to be "Associate Members" instead. Even though I am scheduled to give a paper at the regional ETS meeting in Memphis @ Mid America Seminary in March on John A. Broadus. Life, and especially Christian Ministry, is full of ironies is it not?!

It does not matter that I have been in the classroom of a Baptist College for 10 years now and am about to have a book published. Again, go figure!:laugh:

I do believe that "being in the right place at the right time" is the best thing from the human perspective. "Having a friend" that is willing to use you is always a good thing too.

"Stay by the stuff!"

rd

18. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

No, go ahead and contact Reuben. As I said, SATS places great emphasis on praxis being a part of even exegetical, historical, or systematic research. Your DMin and experience should help SATS..

I am in the ETS too and read a paper on Christology at a regional meeting at Multnomah.

Then I knew not about my heart disease. I thought my chest pains while reading my paper were just indigestion. Two months after , I had heart surgery with five bypasses.

I urge you to go ahead and apply to SATS!

We must do what we can while we can!

19. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    SATS Response

U Z ThD,

Thanks for your usual encouragement. I have sent two emails to Dr. Reuben. One was forwarded to him and then I sent a follow up. We'll see what the Lord does. I want to "burn out" and not "rust out" if you know what I mean?

rd

20. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

yes. 1 Cor 15:58, my friend.

Reuben, of course, is the first name.

Normally the SATS folks answer emails within two working days. It is a requirement that supervisors too are very responsive.

In my experience US schools and personnel are not like that.