1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southeastern Seminary Gets Tough On Academics

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary Board of Trustees approved a revision of undergraduate and graduate programs during its spring meetings in the seminary’s Hall of Presidents."

Read Article Here

Just thought this might be interesting...

Martin.

2. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

In some ways the last part of the article is the most interesting .. that for curriculum reform to be real, there will have to be faculty reform. Let's hope that this does not threaten faculty members and cause a negative reaction; how many of us remember professors who lectured from the same old yellowed note pages year after year? (I especially "cherish" the memory of a religious education professor who gave several lengthy lectures on why the lecture method was the worst teaching strategy. Duh!

I like the core competencies as presented. I do wonder whether students coming with a religious studies undergraduate major will really be able to shorten their academic preparation for MDiv, however -- it will depend on whether that religious studies degree was solid or whether it was just "Sunday School" rehashed.

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

I just read this on BP. This is welcome news. SEBTS was already pretty strong academically, and this will only strengthen it. Before, if I'm correct, MDiv students could graduate with or without biblical languages. Now languages are required for all MDiv grads.

The advanced MDiv for students who have a bachelor's degree in Bible or religion sounds similar to Southern's. This, too, is a good move.

Dr. Akin, having served at SEBTS and then having spent several years as VP for Academic Administration and Dean of the School of Theology at Southern, seems to be leading the seminary to a higher level. I hope him the best.

Bill

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I am glad to hear this. Dr. Akin is a fine man and it looks like he is doing a great job at Southeastern.

Did I hear or read that SEBTS is naming some building after Paige Patterson?

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

I doubt it's a liberal arts building...

[​IMG]

6. Dave G.

Dave G. New Member

Things just keep on getting better at SEBTS. I think they've already got the best NT faculty in the SBC, with such well-published professors like Andreas Kostenberger, Maurice Robinson, and David Alan Black. I realise that's subjective, (and being reformed soteriologically, I still like SBTS best overall), but this school is really strong academically.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yes.

"The 36,050-square foot building will be named Paige and Dorothy Patterson Hall for the former Southeastern president and first lady. The three-story building will house the L. Russ Bush Center for Faith and Culture, the Ph.D., D.Min. and Ed.D. offices, as well as six large classrooms and 19 faculty offices."

Read Article

Martin.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I was at Southeastern for a time before I transfered to Liberty Theological Seminary. I had Dr David Black (for greek) and Dr David Beck (NT). Both are great men on God, great scholars, and great teachers.

Martin.

9. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hey Martin,

Are you the Martin that used to work in the mail-room in the Ledford Center?

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I doubt it's a liberal arts building...

[​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Maybe a college though.

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Nope. Sorry.

Martin.