1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptist Calvinism

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Hardsheller, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Couldn't have been. Tupperware hadn't been invented.

2. rc

rc New Member

Jello salads either.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the explanation, Hardsheller. I thought you meant Calvinists who were not in the SBC, rather than SBCers who weren't Calvinists. After understanding that, the point makes complete sense without the other details.

BTW, no. 3 makes an important historical point that many folks don't realize. The missions controversy was between folks who all held Calvinism. Reading A Public Address to the Baptist Society, and Friends of Religion in General, on the Principle and Practice of the Baptist Board of Foreign Missions for the United States of America (1820) by Daniel Parker (hardshell extraordinaire!) would be a good dose for a lot of folks. They would see that the brunt of Parker's objections in the book are based primarily on ecclesiology, not soteriology.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't know what that is the answer to -- but my question was about SBC in the 1600's not merely "calvinists".

In Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Harsheller said
    I am just trying to get to this progression in the SBC from the 1600's to the 1800's and how man has "gotten better".

What were they doing in the 1600's?

If they were publishing "SBC confessions" or "Baptist confessions" in the 1600's - but also not baptizing infants and rejecting the "real presence" arguments of Luther and the RCC in the 1600's -- I would like to hear about it.

In Christ,

Bob

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SBC was not formed until 1845.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So you believe

VI. The Church

Each congregation operates under the Lordship of Christ through democratic processes.

Simply show me one verse in scripture that shows the American democratic process in action. In fact there is a few cases where they drew lots. The church never came up under a democratic process. It was not borne in the midst of it either. The church is a theocracy not a man made democracy. A democracy rules in favor of the majority. The democratic process does not operate under the Lorddship of Christ. In a democratic process the majority rules. At times that can be very ungodly. Lok at the story of Jonathan Edwards. In a theocracy there is one majority--God. Man has no say, just God.

XII. Education

Christianity is the faith of enlightenment and intelligence.

Sounds like gnosticism or enlightenment more than Christianity.

8. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

I am just trying to get to this progression in the SBC from the 1600's to the 1800's and how man has "gotten better".

What were they doing in the 1600's?

If they were publishing "SBC confessions" or "Baptist confessions" in the 1600's - but also not baptizing infants and rejecting the "real presence" arguments of Luther and the RCC in the 1600's -- I would like to hear about it.

In Christ,

Bob
    </font>[/QUOTE]Bob,

I realize you're not a Baptist. This is one of my frustrations on this board when it comes to this particular subject.

Baptists began in the 1600's. Regardless of when Southern Baptists began we share all of Baptist History with other Baptists. To understand SBC Theology and Doctrine you have to go back to the Beginnings of Baptist Life in the 1600's and examine the history and the doctrinal statements or confessions.

The SBC began in 1845 - but before that historic meeting in Augusta, Ga., we were still Baptists.

9. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

So you believe

VI. The Church

Each congregation operates under the Lordship of Christ through democratic processes.

Simply show me one verse in scripture that shows the American democratic process in action. In fact there is a few cases where they drew lots. The church never came up under a democratic process. It was not borne in the midst of it either. The church is a theocracy not a man made democracy. A democracy rules in favor of the majority. The democratic process does not operate under the Lorddship of Christ. In a democratic process the majority rules. At times that can be very ungodly. Lok at the story of Jonathan Edwards. In a theocracy there is one majority--God. Man has no say, just God.

XII. Education

Christianity is the faith of enlightenment and intelligence.

Sounds like gnosticism or enlightenment more than Christianity.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Sounds like you want to start a new thread debating the BF&M?

Go for it. I'm game.

10. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

The primary reasons non-Calvinists persist in spreading myths like this is because they get their knowledge of Calvinism from Adrian Rogers, Paige Patterson, Dave Hunt and John R. Rice.
    :rolleyes:

11. RandR

RandR New Member

Saying that "Calvinism" is anti-missionary is the same thing as saying that "Arminianism" is universalism or that it inevitably leads to "openness of God" theology. (Which it did in Pinnock's case, by the way.)

As to the rise of Calvinistic thinking in the SBC, I tend to think that it has more to do with the teaching of theology in our seminaries than anything else. It seems the net result of seminaries more committed to inerrancy will be a student population better taught in areas of biblcal anthropology, Christology, soteriology, etc. That's why I think it is fair to say that more and more of our seminary grads--if forced by conversations such as this to use some ridiculous "ism" to characterize their biblical positions--would characterize themselves as somewhat Calvinistic as opposed to Arminian or hyper-Calvinistic.

12. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

R&R,

I think you'll find that the rise of Calvinistic Thinking in the SBC predates the selection of Al Mohler as the first Calvinistic President of a Southern Baptist Seminary in modern times.

Several years before he was appointed there was a noticeable rise of interest throughout the SBC over the subject of the Doctrines of Grace as the historical theological position of the majority of Southern Baptists of the 1800's.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If there is historic evidence that early influences from Calvinism caused a negative backlash against missions - surely all can admit to that history!

What I want to know is whether the Arminian group ever considered that OSAS is not consistent with free will. Any SBC history on that?

In Christ,

Bob

14. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Bob,

There were some Calvinists within the Baptist Ranks who carried their opposition to Missions Societies and Missions organizations further into a strong Anti-Missions Stance. Most of them wound up in Primitive Baptist Churches.

However they comprised a very small number as most Calvinistic Baptists in the South embraced Missions Organizations and Societies.

As Far as OSAS, the definitive book on that subject from a SBC Arminian point of view is

Word of Truth by Dale Moody

The other SBC Arminians became Free Will Baptists.

15. OCC

OCC Guest

Anyone who would be strongly opposed to missions (at least to GO to the organizations) ought to have their heads examined (or at least their hearts).

On the rational side...when I was a Calvinist and a buddy debated me saying that no true Baptist can be a Calvinist...somebody else told me that the SBC started out Calvinistic.

16. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

And that somebody else was right.

17. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

There is no doubt that a strain of hyper calvinism corrupted both Baptists, Anglicans, Presbyterians and others in the early 1700's. Arminian theology went to extremes within General Baptist work in England that crippled it also.

Calvinists such as George Whitefield, Andrew Fuller and William Carey however would battle the extremist hyper calvinism thanks in part to the writings of Jonathan Edwards in North America.

Hardsheller is right. The founders of the SBC were Calvinists. In my study of Louisiana Baptist history, all the missionaries that founded and built the work here in my State in the late 1700's and early and mid 1800's were Calvinists.

18. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Kiffen,

The same is true for Missouri. It was at my present church where the Missouri Baptist Convention was formed in 1834. If there was a nonCalvinist present at the meeting I can't find him.