1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Southern Baptist Polity In 1948

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by West Kentucky Baptist, May 19, 2012.

1. pilgrim_99

pilgrim_99 Member

Here is perhaps another hard case. Several years ago, I witnessed a baptism in a Baptist church I visited in which part of the man's arm, perhaps 12 inches, give or take, did not appear to go under. I'm not sure if he or the pastor realized this. Probably not.

Is it thus invalid?

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a much easier case. There was no attempt to modify the procedure. Any problem was inadvertant on the part of the administrator and the candidate. This is turning into a rather rabbinical thread. :D

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

No, Jesus would never say that; He was opposed to legalism and Pharisaism in His day, and somehow I don't believe He's changed.

4. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Well within its rights, and out of its mind.

This is incredible!

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Wren, to those of us who hold to an only full immersion constitutes a valid baptism, it's not incredible at all.

But, then what are the odds this sister will transfer her membership by letter or statement of faith and of baptism? So small as to be statistically zero. Therefore, another church won't have to make any decision on the matter.

What is baptism? It's an ordinance not a sacrament. It is a visible step of obedience. Baptism does not convey to the candidate any special spiritual beefit other than the knowledge the candidate is obeying the clear command of Our Lord. If this is the case, does our Lord expect a believer to be baptized who (for medical reasons) can not (with practicality) be fully immersed? I think not. I believe God holds us accountable for what (in His Providence) we can do. He does not hold us accountable for wht we are Providentially hindered from doing. At the end of the day, all the sister is unable to do without baptism is hold membership, in a local church. And unless the church she attends believes in closed communion, she can partake of the Lord's Table. A waiver for that is an easier and less controversial decision.