1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Southern Baptists Propose Changing Name...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preachinjesus, Feb 20, 2012.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

to Great Commission Baptists...though this is a "tag line" and SBC will stay the legal name.

Check it out here: http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=37224

Essentially it will be "Great Commission Baptists of the Southern Baptist Convention"

What do you think?

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I think it's silly. Reminds me of "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" :)

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Reminds me why I'm not SBC....sounds like a bunch of money is about to be spent on something completely useless.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some people think it is important to change the name - for various reasons.

It would be like saying, why does a church waste money on a bus ministry - what with insurance, gas price, upkeep, ect - hmmm - does seem like a waste of money.....

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Somehow, to me, it just doesn't flow well. In image-speak, it doesn't sing.

How about USA Baptist Convention? Not bad. Simple, easily flows off the lips.

Or, Baptist Convention USA? Uh, naw, too bulky, too pretentious.

6. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

How about the "Cooperative Baptist Convention," or would that create too much confusion with the CBF?

7. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Do you think "Confederate Baptist Convention" would be less offensive, or more? Just kidding.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I can see this now. Take an orange and blue flag, put the cross on it, and put it on top of each and every "Confederate Baptist Convention" church. Why, I see this thing running smooth as silk.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whats a Southern Baptist Church.......Never seen one.:laugh::laugh:

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean like PCA USA that is now apostate? how bout the Blended Church. Come one come all.

11. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the reason for wanting to change their name? Seems like "Southern Baptist" has worked well for decades. Why change it now?

My wife and I attended a SBC for five years and every business meeting turned into a combat zone..., with casualties.

Things got so bad that folks who were leading the charge started dying! About seven of 'em (Lodge Members & Good 'ole Boys) fell victim to some really freak accidents.

Changing the name won't hit a lick toward changing attitudes.

12. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I have been in a SBC church for about 5 years now, and while I originally thought a name change might be good, I haven't heard of a good alternative...and this certainly isn't it. I now think it would probably be better to keep the name and use it as an opportunity to talk honestly about our past errors.

Regarding Attitudes of those in SBC Churches...that is not a Southern Baptist distinctive, it's just a human distinctive.

13. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

I heard on Fox News Radio this morning that this is all about trying to help with the problem of diminishing membership. According to the report, the title "Southern" has unfortunate connotations. They did some sort of national survey and 40% of the public had a problem with the word. So why not just drop the word altogether - wouldn't that be the easiest thing to do?

WM

14. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Most SBC Churches are blended,

15. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regarding Attitudes of those in SBC Churches...that is not a Southern Baptist distinctive, it's just a human distinctive.

...for sure. I would be foolish if I did not not realize and believe there are some SBC's out there who are really on the right track. God bless 'em. The one "we" belonged to was the exception, I suppose. This church turned into an absolutely mockery of all things reasonable.

Course, the new pastor changed things around for 'em. I did go back one time to attend a funeral and noticed they have speakers the size of VW's with a full compliment of musical equipment second to none. Aspiring Rock Band hopefuls eat their hearts out.

Ever attended a church where the musical lyrics are flashed on the wall behind the Pastor? Should the power go out those folks wouldn't be able to sing.

16. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

It's completely dumb. Just more stuff for an argumentative group to argue about.

17. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's completely dumb. Just more stuff for an argumentative group to argue about.

May I ask what is dumb?

18. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Changing the name. Unless, of course, they're doing it to distance themselves from their sordid history. That might actually be some good marketing.

19. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Changing the name. Unless, of course, they're doing it to distance themselves from their sordid history. That might actually be some good marketing.

I agree. Especially on the distancing part. But then it could divide even farther down at the local level.

Such as, "The New..." "The Old..." "The Reformed..." "The Progressive..."

20. drfuss

drfuss New Member

This morning, I found out something about this.

My inside information says that the following will be proposed:

1. The official legal name will still be the "Southern Baptist convention" for now.

2. However, the unofficial and recommended name will be changed to "The Great Commission Baptist Convention".

Supposely, this will be recommented at the next annual meeting. We will have to wait and see if this is correct and will be followed through on.