1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by panicbird, May 7, 2004.

1. panicbird

panicbird New Member

My wife and I are considering applying to Southern for the fall. She is interested in the MA-Missiology and I am interested in the Advanced Master of Divinity. Does anyone here know anything about either of those beyond the information in the catalog?
    Also, how difficult is it to find a good job in Louisville? How difficult is it to find a good ministry position? We have one child: is married with children housing good there? Is it difficult to get into? What about financial aid: is Southern "liberal" with financial aid or "conservative" (quite the terms to use, eh?)?
    Thanks.

Lon

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am curious why you are not considering seminaries in the south where you live. Why not SWBTS or other good seminaries? I always felt that SWBTS had the best missions program of all the SBC seminaries.

There is a difference in cultures between the north and south. When I was at SWBTS I could not relate to some of the things they talked about encountering in the south. I am not from there.

The president of Southern is an openly declared calvinist. He is the youngest of the presidents.

3. panicbird

panicbird New Member

Southwestern needs to settle down before I would consider going there. There is still too much tumult from Patterson's arrival.
    As far as Mohler being a Calvinist, that is not such a bad thing for me. [​IMG] I, too, am a Calvinist.

Lon

4. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

And undoubtedly the smartest too! :D

5. NateT

NateT Member

Well I'm starting at southern in about a month with the summer classes.

I can't answer much about the areas of study you two are looking at nor the financial aid (haven't had to worry yet). However, I can talk to the married w/children housing.

There are some two bedroom apartments on campus called the Grinstead apartments. Just finieshed w/in the last 3 or 4 years (if not sooner) from the exterior they look like awesome places to live.

We have two kids so that wasn't an option for us. However, you will find that the seminary recommends a place called Village Manor. That is where my wife and I now live. We were worried about it because it is nicknamed the gospel ghetto and from the exterior, it does kind of look that way. However, the only thing I'm disapointed in, is the kitchen is a bit small. Otherwise, we enjoy our 3 bedroom two bathroom apartment. And right in the back yard, there are plenty of kids for my 2 year old to play with. The people here have been nice so far.

Wish you well in your endeavors.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Louisville has a good job market and there are plenty of churches to serve. Just be patient. The academic programs are rigorous. My advice is not to work more than part time. More than that will cut into what God called you to do...be a family man, student, and minister in that order.

7. panicbird

panicbird New Member

Thanks Tom. I try my best to keep those my priorities, though I am imperfect at all three.

I sent my application to Southern yesterday. Pray for me!

Lon

8. KPBAP

KPBAP Member

Lon, have you looked at Logsdon or even DTS?
    I don't blame you for not wanting to go to SWBTS, but Southern isn't much better.
    Before you decide check ALL posibilities. I did half of my education at Southern and the last half at SWBTS, but those were better times with what I consider better leadership.
    Are you serving in a leadership position now??
    I worked with seminary students for nearly 10 years and those who did best AFTER seminary were those who had led in churches BEFORE seminary. I personally believe Field Work should be done before, or at least no later than the first year of seminary. SBC seminaries want you there and your $$$. Be wise! God bless you!

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Better leadership at Southern and swbts in the past? [​IMG] [​IMG]

The SBC seminaries, and especially Southern are in great hands now.