1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southwestern seminary files motion against dismissed professor's suit

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Apr 11, 2007.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Having pastored and started SBC churches I did not find that to be the case at all. In fact I found that so many are lazy and do not study. I have had several conversations with one of the trustees and am amazed at his lack of knowledge of the Bible. One of the former trustees was caught shacking up with two ladies in his church. This year there have been several pastors caught doing something illegal and/or immoral. If that is getting back to the Bible then I want nothing of that kind of hypocrisy. What a disgrace!

If you read more about what is going on in the SBC you will quickly notice that it has nothing to do with getting back to the Bible but about power, control and image building. My predictioin is that it will go the same way as so many other have who claim to believe the Bible. Those who claim to believe the Bible and do not live it out are worse than a nosiy gong. They are a lie to the gospel.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I was referring to the theological issues, such as Al Mohler brought about at Southern. The "rank and file" are probably no different than most churches.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Traditionally, the SBC has not been very good about church discipline. I sincerely doubt that Travis Avenue Baptist Church (which I believe Patterson is currently a member of) will do anything about it.

The Convention was modeled after a confederation-style government (much like the then-future Confederate States of America), and has been subject to the same strengths and weaknesses. The "resurgence" transformed that structure to a much more tightly-controlled core with little accountability. While I certainly don't think the original convention structure was anti-biblical, I don't think the Bible specifies a certain type of relationship between the various local manifestations of the Body of Christ. However, I believe the convention structure was a good accomodation between the needs of churches to remain independent and the need to work together in a structured way to do things together that they couldn't do separately.

I like that idea, but I sincerely doubt that many SBC pastors have the nerve to confront Patterson since Patterson is well known for his ruthlessness.

Well I don't think she did anything unbiblical. Moreover, the SBC does not have any policy in place that would suggest that what she does is unbiblical.

I guess that's a matter of opinion. Would you think it would be horribly wrong if you were a seminary professor and a new President came in and decided that you were of the wrong ethnic background to teach your classes?

I am not emotionally involved in this case, but I have known many others who have been mistreated by this and previous administrations. In many ways I'm glad that this is happening because it takes the lid off of a lot of the stuff that has happened previously at SWBTS. Too many professors have left quietly, not wanting to damage their careers further by making headlines and having the administration spread false reports about them to justify the actions of the administration.

I'll definitely agree there. :)

In my opinion, the so-called "resurgence" was a move in the wrong direction. While the previous way of doing things was not great and in need of reform, the "resurgence" has taken the SBC away from the calling of Christ. The SBC leadership is characterized by dissention, political maneuvering, fighting, paranoia, hypocrisy, suspicion, corruption, control and lies. We certainly had our share of problems in previous days, but the current state of the SBC makes true reformation even more difficult due to the tight reins of control over all agencies and institutions.

I agree. The SBC is collapsing onto itself and churches are going elsewhere. Fortunately, I've never believed that the SBC was "God's last and greatest hope" as one once-prominent SBC writer once claimed.

I think God is allowing the barbarians to take apart the SBC to clear the way for something new. (And no, I don't think it's the CBF or the Mainstream Network.)

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A number of the SWBTS trustees are pastors and you would think that instead of rolling over and playing dead they would stand up and be counted. A few years ago I met with one of the trustees and was shocked at how into "doing everything right" so it appeared good, he was. What we are simply seeing is a lame duck religion. If people would stand up and be counted then we would see a difference. But instead we see a false religion and not Christ.

The problem is that you have a complacent membership and a complacent SBC. A few years ago I wrote one of the big leaders in the SBC about some troubles I was having which stemmed around demonic activity and ungodliness in the church I was pastoring and he just told me to move on. I asked for help in church discipline and got none. That is when I decided that the conservative resurgence folks were simply liars. There beliefs were just words without actions. I am still hearing that same man talk about how much be believes the Bible but frankly I do not see it. What i see is politics.

I believe God will humble them if they do not humble themselves first. When that happens they will not like what will happen.

When they know God then they will see their own sinfulness. Let me assure you that SWBTS has a lawyer who works for them. They are more interested in what the law will allow than what God wants.

They were probably hoping that Klouda would leave quietly but now they must deal with the facts and exposure. I am confident that it has much less to do with her being a woman but more importantly her politics. They want people who are just like them.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

as are all conventions and all churches to one degree or another

disagree and agree with you here. The resurgence was needed to make sure the convention didn't tend towards moderate tendancies. There was a need for minor, and say minor, adjustment with some things. Moderatism/Liberalism is not sin, just another version of Christianity.

I do completely agree the leaders have over-corrected and brought legalism and fundamentalism into the convention which have no place here.

completely disagree you here. The SBC is highly biblical imho, and is one of the most biblical definitions of denominational church available. The local autonomy part allows each church to be their own governance and the cooperative program is simply genius.

I do agree that the various agencies and departments outside of the missions organizations and seminaries need to be cut loose. They serve no purpose to truly aid churches and several have overstepped their bounds by extreme measures.

I believe we're entering a period of correction for our fine convention. Hopefully we will see broad questioning and reforms take place. Dr. Reccord's case was the tip of the iceberg that stood several hundred feet above the water. They still paid him off and he's making a vibrant living from his buddies. It is still a good convention full of faithful servants of God.

thanks for the post :)

#25 preachinjesus, Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  6. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Every trustee I've talked with about this issue, and several others, is giving me a standard response. They have circled their wagons to protect the pope. No one in, no one out. Sad really.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nepotism and self preservation is huge problem in the SBC. If they sought out people who would hold them accountable we would see a very different SBC. The leaders have made efforts to recruit their friends not people who will hold them accountable. When the leadership lacks wisdom then what follows is the same.

#27 gb93433, Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What else should we expect from them considering the fact that many of them are the same trustees who lied to the press when Dr. Dilday was fired?

The response they have given you is most likely at the recommendation of their lawyer.

You have got to realize that if you want to climb the ladder in the SBC you had better not offend anyone on the way up.

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Was it a minor adjustment to get rid of seminary professors who denied the inspiration of Scripture? Hardly. That was a major issue.

No it's not. It is sin.

The problem isn't too much fundamentalism. It is too little. There are still places in the SBC where unbelief and disobedience is tolerated. Imagine the irony of you complaining about those who will not deal with Patterson and others as you wish, all the while complaining about some people being too controlling. That makes me laugh. You can't have it both ways. If you don't want controlling people, then you can't attempt to control others, including Patterson.

It seems that most people like control so long as it is their control. They simply don't like others control.

The SBC isn't a "definition of church." The NT gives no record of conventions. Historically Baptist have had fellowships, and I have no problem with that. The cooperative program isn't really genius, IMO. I think it can tend to create lack of accountability. A missionary is not so much examined by local churches, but by the CP. And the result has been the support of disobedience in missions by those who have left or compromised on the faith.

Why would anyone want to "climb the ladder"?

Again, my comments are from the outside. I don't have a dog in this fight. I find is distressing that there is so little discernment, but not surprising.

10. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

They weren't denying the inspiration of Scripture, but the tennacity of some views on inerrancy. Let's not get into a convo about this because I think we can agree that some change was needed. :)

yeah, it's not though. It's a form of belief. Now I know I'll get my salvation called into question around here (ironic isn't it) but it's just another way of approaching Christianity imho. I have friends who are liberals, and more who are moderates, and they are doing some great work and bringing people to a place where God can transform them. We disagree on some doctrinal stuff and lots of preferential things, but I can't deny the vibrancy of their walks. I know you and I will disagre on this, but maybe we should just leave it there.

fundamentalism, while another way of approaching Christianity, isnt something that I particularly agree with...just like liberalism. It certainly has its place, I just don't think that is in the area of a conventional life since most fundamentalists don't agree with cooperative missions. Just a thought :)

I'm not trying to control Patterson, he clearly doesn't care about me or the rest of the convention so that is a fairly pointless endeavor. Likewise I'm not trying to tell other people what to do. I could really careless

apologies, I was on another site and realized I hadn't added the term "denominational" I editted it above.

I'd take issue with that. Notice that the ecclesiology of 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus is a developed church community of autonomous church with a centralized leadership structure. We can certainly have more opportunities to talk about this if you wish, I just disagree that there isn't a structured conventional system in place in the early church. :)

name one SBC missionary who has compromised the faith that you know explicit details about. Seriously this is an erroneous claim to say it is happening all the time. (When it has happened the person(s) have been removed quickly.) The Cooperative Program doesn't interview anyone for missions. Rather it is a holding place for monies to be used for missions and training in seminaries. The IMB and NAMB interview and screen potential candidates. The process is extremely rigorous and thorough to test for denominational distinctives (I know this because I have numerous friends and relatives who are missionaries with both agencies.)

I think you don't understand the process or the details involved with the SBC and I would happy to talk with you more about all of this. I realy believe the process is a God send and has been great at mobilizing millions of people into missions and seeing millions more get saved. :)

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In reality it is kind of like the fox guarding the hen house. Nepotism is rampant in the SBC. I would not expect them to discipine each other when their word is like a bag of feathers--soft without any firmness. While at the same time they claim to believe the Bible. James talks about that kind of faith.

Unfortunately thse men are being applauded for what they say and not disciplined for their actions.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Money and the comfort of not pastoring and dealing with people.

O.S. Hawkins left FBC Dallas for the annuity board and an increasse in salary of about 40K.

13. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Is it wrong for believers to sue believers? Paul (simply) advises to accept the wrong and be defrauded rather than sue in a court of law. Biblically speaking, what are the grounds of accepting the course of action taken by Dr. Klouda?