1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Spanish Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Mar 14, 2017.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you read and use a Spanish Bible, what version do you recommend, and why?

Thanks.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Louis Tyler's version.

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haven't heard of that one. Do you know where I can find some online info? I didn't find anything searching for Louis Tyler and Spanish Bible or Louis Tyler and Santa Biblia.

Thanks.

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it is anywhere near completion yet. He is professor of language at Río Grande Bible College in Edinburg, Texas. He has taught Hebrew, Greek, English, Spanish, German, and Bible. He holds a BSE from the University of Texas at Austin (1970) with teaching certification in English, Spanish, and German; the M.Div. degree from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (1974); an MA in Hebrew (Greek minor) from the University of Texas at Austin (1981); and a Ph.D. in Foreign-Language Education-Hebrew (Aramaic minor), also at UT Austin (1988).

He has made audio recordings of the entire bible in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek and Latin.

I had lunch with him a couple weeks ago and spent a couple hours picking his brain. The man is a virtual fountain of information concerning bible texts, translations, etc. (Rio Grande Bible College is only about 15 minutes drive from my home.)

I am hoping his Spanish Bible will be competed soon. He is basing the NT on "The New Testament According to the Byzantine Textform" edited by Dr. Maurice Robinson and the late William Pierpont.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. Sounds interesting, but I'm looking for one to purchase soon.

Do you know Humberto Gómez Caballero, the reviser of the Reina Valera Gómez? I think he may be on down in Brownsville. His edition seems to have a wide divergence of detractors and sycophants.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first result I get googling "louis tyler" "spanish bible" is

Reina Valera Gomez Recommendations

with this at the bottom of the page:

"'Allow me to recommend the Reina-Valera-Gómez Bible. Over the years I have noticed that the RVR 1960 often follows the so-called “critical text,”... The RVG follows the Textus Receptus (TR) in the New Testament and closely follows the Masoretic Text (MT = original Hebrew/Aramaic text) of the Old Testament....I applaud the RVG for reversing the trend to go after the modern trend of following the NU (Nestle text as well as the United Bible Societies) text and returning to the text that God has preserved since ancient times...'

Louis Tyler, Ph.D.
    Professor of Biblical Languages
    Río Grande Bible Institute
    Edinburg, Texas"

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Dr. Tyler actually wrote an endorsement of the RVG. His, and my, reservation is that Brother Gomez has no expertise in either Hebrew or Greek, and that he is KJVO.

Dr. Tyler said:
    Dr. Tyler is certainly no KJVO but recognizes the steady deterioration of the textual base for the RV editions of the Spanish Bible.

And Brother Gomez is flexible enough that he has allowed himself, and his first two editions of the RVG, to be corrected.

Brother Gomez lives in Matamoros,Tamaulipas, Mexico, about 45 minutes southeast of me just across the border from Brownsville.

8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Jerome. To clarify my initial statement, I did get some hits on Louis Tyler, but not any about an edition of a Spanish Bible by Louis Tyler.

Both Spanish-speaking missionaries we support are "TR-MT" men. I e-mailed them and they replied to say they use and recommend the RV1960. Neither thought highly of the Gomez edition, I think because of what they perceive as unwarranted changes just to make things appear to coincide with English KJV words. (And I would add from my reading, especially to pacify Ruckman-type KJVOs. One I read about online was changing in 1 Cor. 13 the Spanish word for "love" to the Spanish word for "charity".)

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A friend of mine has recently completed a brand new Spanish NT (not a revision). Here is his prayer letter mentioning the project: Mount Abarim Baptist Mission International » Bill Patterson: June 2016 Prayer Letter

Bill is an American rep for the Trinitarian Bible Society, and a brilliant linguist and translator. We've discussed Greek and he is excellent in koine Greek. He got his Hebrew by studying in Israel.

10. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the TBS website www.tbsbibles.org.uk

Translation News

Spanish Bible Project 2016 18th February 2016
    Since 2006 TBS has been engaged in a detailed revision of the 1909 Spanish Reina-Valera Bible. This is being done with reference to the underlying Biblical Hebrew and Greek texts, to the original 1602 Reina-Valera Bible and to other Reformation-era Bibles. The work also involves ensuring the Spanish language employed conforms to current international standards of orthography and syntax. TBS has been blessed throughout the project to have well-qualified and able men working on the executive translation committee. In addition, there are reading committees in six different Spanish-speaking countries.

In the Lord's goodness the New Testament revision work was completed in December, and 35,000 copies of the Spanish New Testament are now being printed. The first public launch is due to take place in Madrid, Spain, in April. Work on the Old Testament is well underway. We thank God for the progress that has been made on this major project and we go forward in humble dependence upon Him. 'Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain' (Psalm 127.1).

I have no knowledge of Spanish, but an American friend who pastors a Spanish-speaking church in Texas has a copy of this N.T. and tells me that it is excellent. The TBS Portuguese translation is also well-spoken of and used by Gideons Int. However, one needs to understand that all TBS Bibles are based on the Received Text.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My question is, "which Hebrew and Greek texts?" As TBS is the champion of the Scrivener TR, I would guess that is the Greek text they are referring to.

The problem is the Scrivener TR is a text that never existed prior to 1882. Scrivener never intended his text to be the end all of the Traditional Textform. It was intended as a critical text annotating the changes made by Westcott and Hort in their 1881 Greek New Testament, and the sources of those changes. Don't forget that Scrivener was on the translation/revision team of the English Revised Version of 1881.

I would be much more confident in a translation based on the Byzantine Textform of Robinson/Pierpont rather than the Scrivener TR, which is a flawed representative of the Traditional/Byzantine textform.

Give me a few days to talk to Dr. Louis Tyler, a linguist I hold in very high esteem, and get his thoughts on the subject. I will get back to you. :)

12. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, absolutely. The TBS people are very dear and sincere men with a great love for the Lord, but they are blinkered to the KJV in English and the Masoretic Text and Scrivener's T.R. in other translations.

However, my understanding remains that their new Spanish N.T. is a fine and accurate translation. :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for finding this. My hazy memory (that it was a completely new translation) was apparently wrong.

At any rate, I've heard Bill lecture in several different meetings and had some very solid discussions with him about the original languages. He really has mastered both Greek and Hebrew, which makes his work vastly preferable to that of Gomez, who (as has been noted) does not know Greek or Hebrew.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In regards to the radical KJV efforts, I heard of one effort by a KJVO missionary which translated the "Holy Ghost" of the KJV with the Spanish fantasma instead of espiritu. So to the reader the blessed Holy Spirit was actually a human ghost! That effort was completely rejected by the readers, and rightly so.

That's where the radical KJVO position takes a translator when he forgets that the KJV was, after all, written in 1611 British English, not 21st century American English.

15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The TBS Spanish N.T. may be accessed here. I'll be interested to know what Spanish-speakers think:
    Nuevo Testamento Reina Valera SBT

It may be Spanish, but it's all Greek to me! :Roflmao

BTW, do not confuse the TBS with the Ruckmanites et al. They do not claim direct inspiration for the KJV, 'only' that it is the best translation available.

#15 Martin Marprelate, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Copyrighted, with restrictions on use similar to those found in various modern translations not based on the TR.

Copyright - Reina Valera - SBT

Somewhat ironic, given that the KJV that underlies the TBS mission remains wholly without copyright outside of the UK, as well as the Reina-Valera 1909 (which likely will continue to be used by our Spanish-speaking brethren).

This is not to find any fault with the translation itself, being apparently a faithful and accurate reflection of its underlying text base (even if the TR itself may be wanting in several particulars).

(Y seguro, yo puedo hablar y leer español)

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll have to talk to Bill about that next time I see him. :Coffee

19. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the contributions, guys. Still reading to see what other information you offer.

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I heard back from Dr. Tyler but he has not seen a copy or even heard of it. So I have nothing more to offer. Sorry. :)