1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Speaking in Tongues Continued

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by DHK, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

You said, 'When one of those millions of people come forward and describe a personal experience that lines up with and corresponds to an experience described in the Bible then we will have something to talk about.'

2. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

The answer to your question about the Jesus Only thing: No, I am not one of them.

Whatever... that is your interpretation. I don't agree with it and neither does the actual text of Scripture when read in a literal, historical grammatical sense and understanding.

I am not dividing up the Godhead. My whole argument here is based on the manifestation of the persons of the Godhead. If I'm off about that please explain what in the world Jesus was talking about in Luke 24:49? Where was the Holy Spirit that Jesus had to send Him to the disciples if according to your view the Holy Spirit was manifest right there with Jesus. It makes no sense.

[ December 21, 2005, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

'One argument I have gotten is look at such and such church and see how it is growning. Sorry, but the Muslims are the fastest growing religion in the world. That doesn't mean they are the ones being blessed of God. Experience is not a valid test of truth.'

I think we thought you believed the Muslim faith was a false religion. I guess we should not take things for granted.

I am saying that within Christendom, many of the Assembly of God churches are growing quickly because they do not throw barriers in front of the Person of the Holy Spirit. They worship Him, the Son and the Father--the one God.

4. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

5. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Bible-boy,

You said, 'Acts 9 does not say this same trifold manifestation occurred. It only says that the exalted Christ was there.'

6. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

7. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

You said, 'If I'm off about that please explain what in the world Jesus was talking about in Luke 24:49?'

8. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

You said, 'The subjective personal experiences of millions of people do not trump the ovjective truth of the final authority of God's Word. No matter how many people's experience you reference if it does not line up with and correspond to Scripture it is an appeal to inappropriate authority and make s your argument invalid.'

9. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Nope... they are always one in the sense that they are of the exact same essence and nature. However, each person of the Godhead does not always manifest Himself at the same time that one ro two of the other persons do.

Nope, you are misrepresenting my view. One of the characteristics of the Triune God is His omnipresence. However, again all three of the persons of the Godhead don't always manifest themselves at the exact same time and place (see Luke 24:29).

Nope... again you are purposefully misrepresentling what I am saying. It is all about when and where the different persons of the Godhead choose to manifest their presence. How many times do I have to say this?

Whatever... if you can't debate the issue and discuss the text of Scripture I guess you can always attack the person presenting the opposing view. BTW doing so is a personal attack and against the posting rules of the BB. You have been warned about this previously. If you continue you may lose your posting privilages.

[ December 21, 2005, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

10. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

I don't think any Christian who has studied would say that when they accepted Christ they did not also receive the Spirit of God and God the Father.

You cannot receive the one without the other Persons of the Godhead.

11. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

You said John was taken spiritually (via a vision) and given a view of the exalted Christ, things in heaven, and things that will come to pass here on earth.

So, if you are asking me who on earth today has had this experience, I can't answer you, because I am not God. How can you know that no one on this planet has had this experience (unless you are God)? You may think it's unlikely, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I could say "No one on this earth today has ever heard God speak to them", but how would I know for sure? I could say "No one on this earth today has ever been healed by the power of God", but how would I be sure.

By the way, how do you know that no one on earth today has ever heard the audible voice of God? Is it because you've never heard anyone say they've heard the audible voice of God? I can pretty much be sure that if someone said they heard God speak to them in an audible voice, you wouldn't believe them anyway.

12. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

But you are not arguing when the Holy Spirit was given to indwell believing Christians. You are attempting to argue that because of the Triune Godhead that when the text of Acts 9 says that the exalted Christ was manifest with Saul it means that the Holy Spirit and God the Father were also manifest at the same time and place. Therefore, I am asking you to explain, if your view is correct, why the Holy Spirit was not already manifest with Jesus when He was present with the disciples? Your above answer does not address that question.

13. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

It is the Holy Spirit who indwells believers according to the Scriptures. Is there a pasage of Scripture that says that God the Father indwells believers?

14. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As this thread has reached the 20th page, it will be closed no sooner than 12:00 P.M. EST today.